PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Information. [Short Version]

PaintballerX
08-24-2002, 09:40 PM
This thread was made to dispell any misconcieved notions about barrels in paintball and what different variables, when presented, will do to them and to the flight of the paintball that they emit.

Good, now that I have you confused, I'll begin:

Paintball markers were never meant to be dead-on accurate. In fact, it's physically and scientifically impossible to make a paintball as accurate as a bullet, not only because of it's round shape and arced trajectory, but also because of it's low mass/weight. To add to that, even the best of nitrogen systems will never have dead-on efficiency, such as a chrono reading of 285, 285, 285, 285, 285, 285, etc. It will always vary by 2-3 FPS at the very least, so the ball will never fly perfectly or like the ball before it every shot. Now, on to a few misconceptions. Scientifically speaking, the longer the barrel the LESS distance and the LESS accuracy, contrary to popular belief. The reason for this is that drag = deceleration, and deceleration = larger arc and less distance. Scientifically speaking again, the optimum barrel length is 10"-12", as that is the best length for efficiency, accuracy, and distance. Actually though, anything above 6" is going to be relatively the same. The length of the barrel matters quite a bit in one-stage or one-piece barrels (like many of the low cost options today), but in two-piece stepped-bored barrels, it doesn't matter that much. Personally, I never go past 14", but many people find a 16" barrel to be great for Sup'Air or Hyperball to push into the bunker or the bunker grooves.

Anyways, if you have questions, please ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Mike

*Note* I made this thread for two purposes: one, to help with any misconceptions about barrel accuracy, range, etc., and two, to make sure that people don't keep posting those damned "which barrel do I buy?" threads. Please...for the love of god. Don't post anymore of those threads after this one. I'll even pay you not to.

Vampire
08-24-2002, 09:45 PM
Hi!

Always wanted to ask someone who knows. As far as i understand how the pneumatic works, the acceleration of a paintball end right after the barrel porting starts. right after the first hole. The the ball actually decellerates. and suffers from different barrel unconsistencies (and we all do understand that there's no such thing as ideal barrel, right?). So, WHAT's the point??? Makes me feel stupid.

Havoc_online
08-24-2002, 09:46 PM
We know, go tell pbnation.:)

*EDIT* BTW you also forgot to mention the very important matter of a good paint to barrel match.

PaintballerX
08-24-2002, 09:47 PM
Hehe..I posted this in quite a few forums.

Yo Vampire, could you rephrase your question? I didn't quite catch what you were asking. :) Don't mind me, I'm a slow one.

Mike

Vampire
08-24-2002, 09:54 PM
I think it's me actually - it's 0700 here and i had'n had any sleep this night.

Okies, i'm asking this: why would one want any lenght of the barrel after first hole of the all that shiny spiral venting holes in it? Right after the first hole pressure drops to atmospheric. Acceleration of the ball becomes decelleration. As far as i understand the shot becomes actually less and less accurate with every inch of the barrel after the porting starts. But, they wouldn't do something that's meaningless, right? So, why we need the portion of the barrel after the vent holes?

Havoc_online
08-24-2002, 09:57 PM
the porting makes barrels quieter, it's a trade off for efficency.

Vampire
08-24-2002, 10:16 PM
More than the half of the Dye Boomstick (for example) are ported. If you're right, and they sacrifice accuracy for quetness...

I guess i'll have to buy 10 of htem and do some testing with sawing different lenghts off. I just thought someone who knows the aerodynamics/ballistics better than me would explain something unobviuos to me and save me some huge $$$$ i can spent fo something useful instead.

subbeh
08-24-2002, 10:16 PM
I'd like to see some testing down with barrel length / drag / distance. I think I would tend to agree with you, but I have to wonder, does the ball actually ever hit the barrel past 5 or 6"? Or does it just float through??

Havoc_online
08-24-2002, 10:20 PM
that depends on the barrel being a insert type barrel and your paint/barrel match.

Vampire
08-24-2002, 10:28 PM
Oh yeah, insert type barrels. That another thing. As far as i understand the mechanics behind it, they shall have crappy accuracy compared to single piece barrels. If the ball float through the end portion of the barrel, and the barrel moves (and it does move for sure - we just cant hold it steady) ball hits the wall. Oh ****. I cant even imagine what happens next, but i won't ever believe that does not have it's ill effects on accuracy parameter of the barrel.

The whole barrel-ball-gas theme is so complicated... And if you take into account that ball travels the barrel in deformed state and as pressure drops it changes the way it's deformed...

I think i'll have to dig up some old contacts to someone of more scientific type.