PDA

View Full Version : Paintball Picutes

boomerfoxtrot
08-25-2002, 06:37 PM
I need some advice on taking pic on the feild... I have a cam and all.. but it cost more then my gun $900+ .... it wouldn't be good for that thing to get hit by a ball....
I want some good action shots of me, ... how do you take the pic... get a little cheep cam?

aaron_mag
08-25-2002, 06:41 PM
I use one of those little disposable cams. The problem is that you have to get really close to get a good shot. Most of the time I have to resort to setting up the action shot so I can get in close enough for a good picture. Oh well at least it keeps the more expensive camera safe.:p

SirOssis
08-25-2002, 06:51 PM
I'm guessing you're using a vid camera.. this is the setup I've seen. get some thin plexiglass and some glue and make a partial box. Then use a piece of metal to make a mount between the plexi and the screwhole for the tripod mount. Also make sure you cut a hole for the range finder(autofocus). As long as you get thin plexi and keep it clean, it really won't distort the picture.

shartley
08-25-2002, 06:56 PM
You may want to read my response to a similar question in the "Private Field Fun" thread...

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47924

(Note: I have never seen anyone take a tripod out on a paintball field. Most photographers like to be able to move around to get the better shots.)

boomerfoxtrot
08-25-2002, 06:58 PM
no my Video Cam cost less then my still cam..

I've thought about setting up out of play area and zooming in... which I could do, but I would still be in "harms" way.

That's a good idea with the box... the only problem is that my cam is a dit cam with the LCD screen, and it's small so I would have to make a way to hold on to it.. I need to play with the plexie and see what it looks like...

SirOssis
08-25-2002, 07:17 PM
I never said to use the tripod... I said mount the box to where the tripod would go, but its a dig camera so that doesn't matter.

maybe a piece of plexi strapped to your hand(like a small shield) and off set some so you don't whack your head when bringing up the camera

boomerfoxtrot
08-25-2002, 07:21 PM
I just came across a paintball site, that cought a guy shooting film ..... he had a buddy with him, with one of thoses ref shields... he was standing with his back to the side shooting his way and keeping him and the sheild between the cam and the balls...

LittMag
08-25-2002, 07:22 PM
Well if possible, you get a second person with a plastic sheild to block the paintballs comming at the camera.

boomerfoxtrot
08-25-2002, 07:24 PM
heheh, would you want to be that second person?

LittMag
08-25-2002, 07:32 PM
Sure, if you'd supply me with that plastic sheild, housing, and airfare too and from your place. You could ask Bill Mills of WARPIG he always seems to have awesome action shots.

boomerfoxtrot
08-25-2002, 07:39 PM
:D hell yeah...

most people would think I was crazy... "you want me to stand out there and guard what again" ...

Tron
08-25-2002, 07:46 PM
I was doing the samething at tombstone today. I was snapping pics of my friends playing and got some really good shots. But be beginners they would shoot at anything that moved. I was shot more off the field then on. Soon as I stepped out on the sidelines I was be shot at. I had no gun just a small digital camera.

-Tron

temps
08-25-2002, 10:15 PM
I agree with shartley, and I also don't use any protection for the camera. (mask for me)

Although I use a couple safty messures my self.

1. Make sure everyone knows i'm going to be out there!

2. Don't go out there if there are 6-10 year old newbs who will shoot anything that moves i.e. refs/team mates

3. Tell them if they shoot me they WILL be sorry!

ANTi
08-25-2002, 10:42 PM
you shoul buya photographic memory....i bought one on e-bay...now i can take pictures with my mind...

billmi
08-28-2002, 11:50 AM
I always shoot with a UV/haze filter, so that a direct shot on the lens hits a $7 filter, not a $700 lens.

For my video camera, I have a custom built neoprene cover. I don't use covers on my still cameras, though I will be making one for Canon EOS bodies and lenses by or before the time I get my D30.

The best way to not get hit while shooting, is to shoot pro, and upper am players. Nov/rookie teams aren't nearly as good at hitting their target areas. I'll typically not get hit at all during a pro/pro game, and come out with 1 to 7 hits on me from a nov/nov game.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

[alpha]NIXON
08-28-2002, 01:25 PM
Here are my 2 cents...
You can use any camera on the field, but remember cheap cameras give you cheap results! It' just like that...
There is a risk of potential damage to the equipment in any kind of action sports shooting. For paintball you can use any kind of cheap plastic underwater housing /sea&sea for example/. It will protect your front lens from direct hits and the body of the camera from paint. If it's possible use some old Canon or Nikon cameras they have all-metal bodies. Use lenses between 135mm and 300 mm they will give you that nice blurred background, use speeds over 1/125 sec.
By the way even if you get hit, most probably it will be your body not camera's! :-)

boomerfoxtrot
08-28-2002, 01:42 PM
thanks everyone...