PDA

View Full Version : minimag questions

cannibal ox
08-25-2002, 09:09 PM
I just aquired a used minimag (a true pimp move)
ser #2000 something, but I have a few questions I could'nt find in FAQ s or in posts
1 Should the rear valve be matched up exactly to read MINIMAG or is a slight offset acceptable (1mm? maybe)
2 Is there a need for secondary regulation running this on nitro? Any mods to the valve necessary?
3 I traded almost a brand new (used once) tippman 98 c
for a 5-6 year old used gun, am I crazy? The gun seems to be in good shape, I fired it a few times today at the field and think the original owner was'nt competent enough to fix some of the problems he was having wich I think is just some o-ring type stuff (inconsistent chronoing)
Thoughts and opinions/

Peace out

Chuck D

HoppysMag
08-25-2002, 09:21 PM
1 yea its ok to be off set...
2 your mags reg is enough
3 no your not crazy but i would check and see if its a level 6 or 7 ( dont as me how cause i dont know)

LittMag
08-25-2002, 09:22 PM
Welcome to the mag family! I have some 8+ year old mags and they work great.
1. Mismatch should be fine
2. 2nd reg is ok, 3rd reg will starve your gun
3. I'd trade my tippmann for any aged mag in a heartbeat.

j.t.
08-25-2002, 09:27 PM
Automags live forever, not to mention they have been changed very little so most likely its not out of date.

If its an older valve, say level 6, its probably a good idea to get the new level 10 upgrade. It will do wonders for the gun.;)

cannibal ox
08-25-2002, 09:35 PM
Thanx for the replies
I thought the levels had to do with just the front bolt design, not the valve itself? Anyway Ill check the forum more as I don't want to be one of those people who are too lazy to check for answers before posting. Im looking forward to hooking the gun up, I just need to become familiar with the setup.

Peace out

Chuck D

j.t.
08-25-2002, 09:45 PM
Great! ill give you a heads up on level 10 though. Its a very revolutionary change to the automag because it prevents ball chopping.

Army
08-25-2002, 10:47 PM
Hello cannibal ox! Welcome to AO:)

1) All MiniMags are level 7. Some may still have the Power Tube spring, instead of a spacer, but that will not hinder the gun in any way. Level 10 replaces all Power Tube internals anyway. The slight offset is totally normal, and does not harm or slow your gun. I would suggest getting a rebuild kit, and replace all the O-rings and reg seat. You never know how the former owner took care of it, this will just take it back to nearly new.

2) The back half of all 'Mags is a high quality reg. another reg on your tank is fine, but any more and you begin to starve it.

3) There are many 5-6-7-10 year old 'Mags still up and running with no problems. My Mini is at least 5 years old, and is the envy of everyone here at AO......(*snicker*)

If you want, sending it back to Airgun Designs for a factory rebuild will allow the techs to tweak it to factory new condition. Just go up to the blue sponsor link for complete info.

Have fun with your new marker! Army

Cristobal
08-25-2002, 11:00 PM
Welcome to AO! Like as not you have a level 7 mag. If you can unscrew the power tube (the part of the valve the bolt slides around) -- not just the brass tip but the whole thing, then you've got a pre-level 7 mag, but that hardly seems likely unless the gun is a good bit older than you think it is.

In terms of gettin to know your mag, watch the tech video; if you don't have it call AGD and ask for it. It will give you a lot of good info. Hanging around here is also a way to learn tons of stuff about the mag. You'll find that the search function comes in most handy:) Reading the classic threads in the tech forum will give you an education on the some of the most comon questions -- check out the thread about power-feed plugs in particular.

I would also check to make sure that your on/off is of the "new" style, and update it if it isn't. This is what it should look like (its not really new though, only the very early level 7's had the old style):

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=326467

cannibal ox
08-27-2002, 08:59 PM
thanx for all the info. I just got the video today from the previous owner, have yet to check it out. So far the forum has answered any questions I have had, I may even attempt the valve rebuild myself as there seems to be no shortage of info around here and I am pretty confident that I can manage it. The level 10 mod looks sick. I might have to pimp this gun to the fullest. anyway thanx again

just blaze

Chuck D

AcemanPB
08-27-2002, 09:15 PM
welcome to AO, if you ever encounter any problems on your mag you can't fix, then just post it in the tech fourm and your question should get anwsered

also the level 10 is a very good upgrade worth getting

and finally, lets see some pics!

angelKiller16
08-27-2002, 09:45 PM
hey, you worked a nice deal. I would trade for a used mag anyday beacuse thier is NOTHING you can't fix. i bought a used mag w/ minimag body and i found out it is about 10 YRS OLD!! but it works perfectly, the previus owner took good care of it and replaced all the o-rings for me. I had to upgrade the powerfeed plug on/off top and reg. assembly for HP but that was only 23$, small price to pay for having a sick gun. With all of the upgrades out for a mag now (lvl 10, intelliframe, soon e-mag conversion frames etc [medusa].) thier is no need to ever get another gun. I hope you enjoy your new gun as much as i have.