PDA

View Full Version : Carbon FIber Mag bodie

magnj
08-26-2002, 09:53 AM
OK on my pther forums someone proposed to make a carbon fiber cocker bodie.( he works with carbon fiber for his job and has full access) I said how bout a mag bodie and he said he could probably do it. Is there anything he needs to look out for or any problem he might face doing it also, would it owrk?

athomas
08-26-2002, 10:09 AM
Don't forget about putting a steel insert in where the bolt enters the barrel. The force of impact from the moving bolt would damage this area if it was made from carbon fibre.

magnj
08-26-2002, 03:01 PM
oh where the front of the spring rests? ALso how will the bolt slid on carbon fiber? maybe a little insert on where the bolt is between the bolt and the fiber?

athomas
08-26-2002, 04:00 PM
The bolt shouldn't touch the body anywhere except where is compresses the bolt spring. You shouldn't have to reinforce the body where the bolt moves. Even in the standard mag bodies the bolt and bolt spring never make contact at all on the sides.

magnj
08-26-2002, 04:27 PM
alrite, im gonna measure everything later and check holse and such

EastAl
08-28-2002, 11:12 PM
a cf body would be cool. but, what do you hope to gain from it?

btw, one of the coolest cockers i ever saw, was one with the body made of acrylic(same stuff they make bullet prof bank glass out of), so you could see the internasl at work. that was awesome to be able to watch everything doing it's job in the gun!

Person
08-28-2002, 11:57 PM
You folks are forgetting something quite important , a barrel. The stock mag bodies have a spring loaded ball bearing to lock the barrel in place. You will either have to figure it out how to place one of those in the body, or put some threads in there. Maybe model your body off of a Micromag body and find some way to get some threads in that Carbon fiber. Perhaps a steel insert of some sort. Id like to see a <glass> acrylic body on any gun especially one as needlessly complex as a cocker to see all that stuff moving :P All you would see on a mag is that little ol bolt moving back and forth. Peace out

magnj
08-29-2002, 02:05 PM
i thiink cf takes dif barrels. I didnt know bout the bushing. I dont think hell make a mag bodie ne way he only wants to make cocker ones. WHere did u see the acrlyic body?

yllwsmrf
08-29-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Person
You folks are forgetting something quite important , a barrel. The stock mag bodies have a spring loaded ball bearing to lock the barrel in place. You will either have to figure it out how to place one of those in the body, or put some threads in there.

The "barrel twist lock assembly" as AGD calls it isn't actually mounted in the body. It is pressed into the rail and the spring loaded part sticks up through a hole in the body. So you could just drill a hole for that that matches the one in your stock body and that should take care of the barrel issue. I believe though that there are many other issues with the design that you need to address before you can build a successful carbon fiber body. Good luck and post pics when you are done, I'd really like to see what it looks like.

Person
08-29-2002, 06:54 PM
Ahh yes im sorry. foolish comment =/ peace

chris99506
09-08-2002, 06:03 PM
i would make the body take cocker threaded barrels, i hate that twist lock system it sucks

Person
09-08-2002, 11:52 PM
Hmmm ahhh alas.... twist lock owns you. Only other SEMI decent barrel is an Icon z and tippmann 98 customs fat threads

chris99506
09-09-2002, 03:34 PM
i had a tippman 98 and the threads did come off quick and easy but they did tend to bend and break every once in a while with aluminum barrels because the threadings were to big, you have to be super carefull with them. and the twist lock system does suck and it's hard to get off and on again
i hate it and if they had some sort of adapter to change it to normal threaded barrels i would buy it

Person
09-09-2002, 05:32 PM
Yeah like i said twist lock is the best barrel ever. If its too tight put some oil if its too loose put bigger o rings

flanders
09-13-2002, 07:33 PM
ok first off, the cocker body u saw was lexan, i know a guy who made about 3 or 4, second ur not thinking of the problems of the carbn fiber body, it can crack, adn will crack if u play some hard paintball, if u play like back or something in like a tourny formt though u should be ok, but if u play front and slide and stuff or play in woods 10 bucks says u will crack ur bodyim not saying that it's not worht a try and if ur getting i for cheap, hay why not, just umm, if u do start playing make shure u see where every thing lands:D

carbon fibers strength flaw, i believe, lies with in the fact that it's many small strands of well, carbon fiber (duh) which is adheread together for strength, but u can still split it apart, u probably won't go out an dcrakc it in ahlf, but it would probably crack

Puddin'
09-14-2002, 09:33 PM
Flanders will you PLEASE learn how to type. I couldn't understand half of your post.:confused:

flanders
09-15-2002, 03:04 AM
i do know ho to type, it's just not in english, i know how to type flanderneise

but ill work on it

basicly what i said was carbon fiver is a weaker substance then like lexan, mainly because it's made of smaller parts right, so it can pretty much fracture alon the fiber lines

einhander619
09-20-2002, 02:47 PM
To translate what flanders is saying, carbon fiber, by it's nature, is not suited to small scale, highly complex objects such as a mag body. At that scale, you might as well make one out of paper mache(sp?), the process isn't that much different. It can't be molded and milled and fitted, like aluminum and lexan can. Carbon fiber is best used in applications where it has the dimensions and shape to properly exhibit it's strength, such as in aircraft and racecar body and frame parts. I'd love to see a lexan Xmag body though!

speedyejl
09-22-2002, 09:54 PM
wow lexan, it could be colored and see thru, nice

aut911
09-26-2002, 11:47 PM
if you are going to have your friend make a carbon fiber body for an automag, i think you should put in a satinless steel insert for where the body rests, partially because of the cracking problem an partially because the body would last much longer. steel on carbon fibre is bad! mucho bad.

If this works out tell your friend that hes got a customer for another one!

aut

magnj
09-27-2002, 04:39 PM
its a dead end the kid hasnt posted a gain. if neone knows where i could get one hook me up wit alink