PDA

View Full Version : why i'm sore from the weekend...

synreal
08-26-2002, 10:51 AM
i took off last friday and hit the trail for the first time in about a year and a half. i failed to realized that i had put on 50lbs of body mass (10 of that in the form of beer belly ;) ) since I last hiked, my lungs weren't too happy by the end of the second day.

so, much trail mix, bad tasting water and 37 miles later i return victorious and with great memories of northern michigan. just thought i'd share, and see if anyone else has been on any decent hikes as of late.

shartley
08-26-2002, 11:31 AM
Sounds like fun. We get out now and again with the family, but nothing like when I was younger. Growing up in Vermont does not leave you much for *recreational activities* so hiking was something I loved doing. I miss it.

More and more when I read AO lately, it inspires me to DO things. And Jay is now 13 and almost at the age where he can keep up with me. It is going to be so nice when he is a couple years older. :D I have always been very physically active, in my work and in my play. But the last 5 or 6 years have really been a change for me…. Desk work SUCKS! LOL (Did I say that? ;))

The last year has been great with paintball again, and now having our own field makes it even better. Kim was saying yesterday that she like seeing us run around and getting more exercise. Heck, I have not even been able to take my bike out this year… grrrrr Can you imagine that? Been way to busy.

I envy you and your hike…. “hurt so good”! Next time bring a camera. :)

BTAutoMag
08-26-2002, 11:33 AM
ive been on a 14 mile hike before. i didnt have a pack on but it was 109* out.

synreal
08-26-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by shartley
Next time bring a camera. :)

i had to leave it in the car, a) its heavy, really heavy and b) its digital and there was a light but steady drizzle the entire time we were on the trail. something about a fried $1800 camera rig didn't sit too well with me ;)

we went geocaching near the trail earlier in the year, so i have a photo of the longest suspension foot bridge in michigan, we camped about 1/2 mile down the trail from here.
http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/log/440035_500.jpg
http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/log/440035_400.jpg
http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/18201_200.jpg (not by me, but you can see the bridge better)

obsolete898
08-26-2002, 11:59 AM
What is geocaching?

synreal
08-26-2002, 12:04 PM
www.geocaching.com, RobAGD reminded/informed the board about it in the spring.

basically it is a form of treasure hunting using handheld GPS units.

for instance, i'd go hide an ammo box with a pad/pencil, disposable camera, and some other goodies in the woods. then i'd use my GPS to mark it's exact location, and post those on the site. you'ld goto the site, download the cordinates and truck out in search of my stash.

when you found it, you would jot something in the notebook, take your picture with the camera, take something from the bag of goodies and leave a trinket behind for someone else to take. then cover the cache back up and go on your merry way.

shartley
08-26-2002, 12:07 PM
Thanks. :) Nice pictures.

wyn1370
08-26-2002, 12:11 PM
where'd ya go syn? you might have told me earlier, but I forgot.

synreal
08-26-2002, 12:15 PM
well, just bust out the old map of michigan (read: right hand) ;) . i was right were the first and second knuckle of your pinky meet against your ring finger.

aka: north country and manistee river trails (along with some side trekking) about 30 minutes outside of cadillac, mi.

Kevmag
08-26-2002, 12:35 PM
Sounds like a cool trip!

My wife and I took a hike two weekends ago in Desolation Wilderness (Lake Tahoe Area). Our trip was only about 12mi round trip so nothing compared to the 37mi you did. This is my 3rd hike into the area and I can't get enough. Beautiful mountain lakes, mixed in with forest and a bunch of granite. We brought our dogs (yellow labs) and they had a ball!

Here's a link so you can get more info on the region.

Desolation Wilderness (http://www.r5.fs.fed.us/ltbmu/visitor/wilderness/desowild.htm)

Kevin

synreal
08-26-2002, 12:43 PM
that looks like a GORGEOUS area to hike through :eek:

the trail i was on was mainly wooded (old growth oak and pine mostly), half narrow paths with huge drops to either side, half hiking on ridges a few hundred feet above the river. i'm yearning for a trek that involves some rock scrambling and cliff hiking now.

Crazy
08-26-2002, 05:14 PM
down and up the grand canyon this summer... never doing that again. heh:rolleyes:

Jonno06
08-26-2002, 05:23 PM
ive never been on a hike before:(

ive never done lots of things...my childhood is pretty deprived....

InfinatyBPS
08-27-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Jonno06
ive never been on a hike before:(

ive never done lots of things...my childhood is pretty deprived....

Don't worry you aren't alone...

cannedheat
08-28-2002, 03:31 PM
I went on a 65 mile hike in Philmont NM in july with the boy scouts, I had a great time and plan on going back in a couple years.