PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problem! Someone help me!

Magic37220
08-26-2002, 09:45 PM
1050 Megahertz thunderbird, XP Home, GeForce2, 512 megs of Ram, heatsink/cooling fan, etc.
Heres my problem:
Well, one day I start up my computer to work on some reports, and I get this kind little XP message right before windows starts saying I need to check my hard drive for "consistancy". Anyway, I go ahead and let the thing do its business (which took around 10 minutes), and I get into windows normally. After I'm done, I shut off the computer with the button on the case(yeah, I know). Several days later, I start up the computer again and it gives me the message saying I shut down the computer wrong, and I can either A)Start in safe mode B)Start in safe mode with network something-or-other C)Start in safe mode with command prompt D) Start windows with "last known good configuration, or E) Start Windows normally.
When I try to start it in any of the "safemode" versions, I get a list of files that last about the whole monitor in DOS, and then it freezes at "amdagp.something". When I try to start Windows normally, I get through the little XP startup thingy (the Little XP Home with a fake status bar under it), but it freezes with a black screen afterward. I've tried everything to the extent of my knowledge, and I now hand my problem over to ya'll. PLEASE HELP ME!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

dio91
08-26-2002, 10:57 PM
Is it a laptop? When mine freezes and locks up when i get back into my profile, I just take out the battery and try to restar...not the best way but it works

dio

Magic37220
08-26-2002, 11:07 PM
Nope, its a desktop. Thanks for the advice though. Can anyone else help me?

confedman75
08-26-2002, 11:28 PM
smash it with a hammer?

spazzed
08-27-2002, 09:19 AM
It has something to do with the video, hence "amdagp.something"... Try tne last option, "...last known good configuration". If that doesn't work, safemode w/ prompt & fdisk that puppy.