PDA

View Full Version : I need car audio help bad

paintballrulzs
08-27-2002, 10:37 AM
Alright i want a system in my car. I already got sony xploid car speakers anda 45 watt pioneer deck. I was wondering if this is a good deal or not? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1375435135

Also how good is that system? I don't want a crappy system.

Miscue
08-27-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by paintballrulzs

Also how good is that system? I don't want a crappy system.

Humm, then you might have wanted to do some research before buying your stuff. :)
I bought XYZ, is it good? Well, it's a little late for that now. :)

As for that ebay deal, I'll withhold my opinion on it. I will just say that there are many alternatives.

paintballrulzs
08-27-2002, 11:02 AM
Alright....I am pleases with the sony speakers as well as the deck. I traded ice-child for the deck not to long ago and i needed speakers in my jetta because none of them worked. When i asked how the system was i was asking about the ebay auction not my current setup. You said there are other alternatives and i would be interested in knowing them. I am totally oblivious to car systems and components. Thanks

zvanut
08-27-2002, 03:03 PM
im not a super car audio genious (yet :))

but sony isnt that bad for the price....

now from what i have heard on subs (if you want them) i would go with pioneer, abouyt the same cost as sony and they sound better to me.

or you could just do whatever else you wanted to do sony (like my neighbor) and get a louser (or noisier in his case) system then stock

:)

FrAuStY
08-27-2002, 05:05 PM
I'm not typing all this again... so here :D

Originally posted by FrAuStY

Whoa whoa whoa, ... the head unit is what tells your speakers what to play... if you have crummy headunit... its gonna sound terrible no matter what speakers you hook up on it. Go with something in your price range.. also.. go to a sound store (Sound advice/Circuit city etc) and Actually listen to headunits..through different speakers. Find the one you like, can afford, and sounds best to you.

After that.. get a nice 4 channel amp. What you want to look at is not peak wattage..but RMS wattage. Thats the maximum amount it can constantly supply. I.e. a BOSS (POS IMO)is advertised at 200 watts 4 channel. If you look in the manual..its RMS is only 35 watt 4 channel.

Also pick speakers that can handle the same amount of wattage RMS that your amp can supply. I.e. Boston Accoustic Rally series (Bad#%% Mofo's) can handle like 85-100 watts RMS and 200 watts peak. You don't want these speakers running on that boss as you'll most likely blow the speaker due to under power, or blow the amp from over-draw. You can make a good sounding combination from just about any "brand" of equipment..it's the matching of components that brings out the quality sound.

Anyway.. your best bet would be circuit city as those guys don't make commision on sales and if you're honest, they'll be honest. Make sure you hear the combination prior to buying and remember, sound in your car will sound different than a room.

Brands: Kenwood (headunit), Boston Acoustic (Component set/Mids/highs), Rockford fasgate (Punch series amps for subs is a must), Premier (amps), JL Audio (Mids/Highs/Subs are very hard to damage from excessive power). I personally love the "Natural" sound you get from bostons, 300 a pair for 5.25" or 6", with crossover and silk dome tweeter. Yumm Yumm.

*EDIT* -Also when it comes to picking speakers... cost does not always equal quality, you want to get the speaker with the highest sensitivty i.e. 92Db would be louder than 87Db speakers. Keep in mind the power consumption and impedance, take the boston's for example:

Nominal Size 6 1/2" (165mm)
Recommended Amplifier Power 20-275 watts
Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
Frequency Response (3dB in car) 60-20kHz
Mounting Cutout Diameter 5-1/8" (131mm)
Mounting Depth 2-9/16" (65mm)
Sensitivity (1 watt (2.83v) at 1m) 90db
Tweeter 1-inch (25mm)
System Type 2-way

90 Db is good response.. very few are 92 and some of those aren't very clear at high volume since they move too much.

As Misque said, there are several alternatives...I could build a nice sounding system for less than 300$.. won't be super powerful..but it will be clean sounding.. I can also build a powerful, crappy sounding system for 3000$. It's all about matching the components and their power capability. If you over power a speaker..you can blow it up.. if you under power it.. you can blow up the speaker or the amp..

Also here's a link to the thread from which it came :)

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47236&highlight=car+audio

Also try searching for Car audio in paintball talk.. it'll return several threads concerning what you want to know.

paintballrulzs
08-27-2002, 08:27 PM
Thank you a lot. That is exactly what i needed. I was going to try avoiding buying retail because of how much the costs are. That is the main reason why i looked on ebay. I noticed with the subs/ and amp combo it seemed to be a good match. I was really hoping to get something off of ebay because retail is very expensive. I am not exactly looking for huge bass but rather sound quality with a decent amount of bass. I have sat in some peoples cars where the bass is so loud it seems like there is no music at all but pure bass. That is not what i am looking for at all. I was hoping for a decent bass to quality ratio where i could easily hear the music and words but also with a little bit of bass to back it up. I don't see the need to buy a new deck. I enjoy my pioneer deck very much.