PDA

View Full Version : Paintball Gun + Car Paint

Miscue
08-29-2002, 10:30 AM
Why aren't PB guns painted with say, automobile paint?

/me would like to have a C+C Extreme with 5 clear coats... :)

I'd love some factory powder coated Extreme's too.

cphilip
08-29-2002, 10:35 AM
There is no reason why they could not be as long as it was kept in the right places and very well applied. And there are some real cool paints out there now...

ah137
08-29-2002, 01:08 PM
If I remember correctly Tom himself has and emag with automotive paint. It’s as red that is two toned, so when you look from different angles the color changes. I believe that type of paint is called chameleon. I saw the marker first hand at the AO Tech class last yeah. But I also remember the paint was starting to chip in a few areas.

I there was a couple of other unique emags there also.

We should talk Tom into taking pictures. I snapped a few, but no scanner.

Later Hills

MagDog68
08-29-2002, 01:12 PM
I tried that with a two toned aint a few years ago. It does chip quite easily and u have to tape off any area that will be in contact with another surface (ie P/F tube and the bottom of the body). The paint is very thick and will throw everything off.

~Fred

FrAuStY
08-29-2002, 01:19 PM
Automabile paint can be mixed to the thickness/thinness(sp? lol)of your liking with Xylene or laquer thinner. I painted my MM body with Automotive grade Acrylic paint. It was actually airbrushed but its still the same as using an automotive sprayer. I put 3 coats of pulyurethane clear coat and 3 coats of Duplicolor clear (found at any autoparts store) Still have yet to see it crack or peel. It also holds up very well to paint.

cphilip
08-29-2002, 01:57 PM
And there are surface preps you gotta do to aluminum to make it bond well. Chipping can be eliminated pretty much.

magman007
08-29-2002, 06:00 PM
yes, the chameleon e-mag is cool,saw it last year at the iao. they were cool. there is also another company doing it, saw it in an old apg. i dont have my collection here in chile tho, so i cant look it up. i think they did it for like 80 dollars. i think the really cool orange, blue, green color would be cool. i saw a saturn with it and was impressed

gander666
08-29-2002, 06:47 PM
That color shifting paint can cost upwards of $500.00 a gallon. Your best bet is to get a custom car/motorcycle shop to lay it down for you for a reasonable price. Never used it on a marker before, but it looks way cool on a cruiser fender.

Geoff

Restola
08-29-2002, 11:58 PM
I've seen prices much higher than $500/gallon

Doesn't seem worth it to me :-/

Vern1
08-30-2002, 07:12 AM
Greetings,
You also have to be careful to clean the paintball paint off of the painted finishes.
Some of the paints - RPS Evil and Zap Ultimate come to mind can stain painted surfaces and if left on the paint for a period of time will start lifting the paint!
We have a couple of cars parked in our rec field and the paint and almost all of the clear coat is starting to peel off from exposure to paintball paint.
There was a customers car parked near the staging area and a Zap Ultimate landed on the roof next to the sunroof in the morning.
Later in the day, it had lifted a nice little circle of paint about 1" in diameter.
Granted this was a repainted car, but it still damaged it.

Motto of story - keep them wiped down after a days play or you may find an interesting new paint job when you take it out of the bag next time!

I make this comment not to knock painted markers, but hopefully to save someone some frustrations later!

Miscue
08-30-2002, 12:10 PM
/me envisions people waxing/buffing/detailing their guns... PB Turtlewax, Armorall... etc... :)

Pvt.Opium
08-30-2002, 05:15 PM
Well i wouldnt paint my gun with car paint because in time car paint will oxidize. All paint oxidizes but car paint dose faster than other paint.