PDA

View Full Version : Selecting FREAK insert

dawump
08-29-2002, 05:40 PM
Hi All,

Just got my freak kit, but no documentation... which seems dumb. Having the capability of having a perfect paintball to barrel match, but no instructions on how to make the choice!

Anyway.. how DO you make the choice? What shows that an insert is too large, and what indicates that it is too small?

Thanks

Keith

EsPo
08-29-2002, 06:10 PM
http://pbnation.com/misc2.php?s=&action=barrelchart

bore sizes

BajaBoy
08-29-2002, 07:59 PM
inset that the ball doesnt roll threw.. but not very snug.. u should know this:D

potti
08-29-2002, 10:02 PM
-it should not roll out
-it should not get stuck to the point where you can't blow it out.

banzaimf
08-30-2002, 05:54 PM
I do my fitting with a chrono

What generally works for me is go the one I can blow through, then go one smaller. This generally gives me an extra 20 fps using this method.

Blennidae
08-30-2002, 07:36 PM
Banzaimf:

Does that method have any effect on accuracy at all? I'll be trying my freak out for the first time tomorrow, and I really am interested in seeing if they are all they are hyped up to be.

dawump
08-30-2002, 10:35 PM
Well if you ask me this is insane.

If this was an AGD product it would come with specific instructions on how to choose the insert and there would be none of this BS. It would state if lp or hp guns benefited from different strategies etc.

There is little point in a company putting out a product to solve a specific problem if they leave open the possibility of the user not using it correctly!

I'll be trying mine out tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Keith

banzaimf
08-31-2002, 12:07 PM
Sadly Blennidae, I never actually tested the larger inserts for more accuracy. for some reason it never crossed my mind. It shoots well enough with the one size smaller. Check it out and report back :-)

PyRo
09-02-2002, 08:52 AM
It should roll through, but it shouldn't get stuck. LP vs HP won't make a differance on what barrel you need. Don't trust the charts on bore sizes.

dawump
09-03-2002, 11:01 AM
Well I'm impressed, even though I don't know that I used the right insert.

It was BYOP day, so very easy to see my hits in the parking lot. At a distance I typically fire off a string of 5 or 6 to make an elimination, and a guy walked up to me after a game and showed me 6 hits.. Yikes. Not what I intended for sure, but proved that my accuracy was definitely up.

I was using PMI seamless and it was really clear from doing some blow tests that my paint wasn't round, so don't know how well I could have found a match. I went for the "1 smaller than easy blow" fit, and later in the day started breaking paint, so retested and found that I had to go one bigger because of the rise in temperature.

I took about 30 minutes at the chrono and test range to come to my first choice based on consistency, but actually didn't try out the bigger sizes.

Pretty impressed by the barrel system. A single sweep cleaned out the break, pretty quiet and for SURE accurate. I use the 14" All American tip.

Keith

Maverick99
09-03-2002, 01:37 PM
If cant tell what size bore to use...you can always buy one of these ball sizer (http://www.warpig.com/paintball/tournament/iao/2002/techgallery/MVC-738S_jpg.shtml)

dawump
09-03-2002, 02:07 PM
All a bore sizer will do is tell me what bore it is...

.. but after that there is still no concensus about whether or not you should use the exact bore freak insert or go one tighter or larger.

PyRo
09-04-2002, 11:10 AM
Definatley not larger, smaller maybie. Won't make too much of a differance.

Blennidae
09-04-2002, 02:03 PM
I tried just using the one that was easy enough to blow thru. It was the .687 red one and I was shooting marbalizers. I was pretty impressed with the accuracy, and my velocity seemed consistant. It did seem to go up as the day went on, and I never did recheck the paint. It was warm, so the paint probably swelled a bit. I'm guessing banzimf is correct, that one size smaller will get you higher velocities.

athomas
09-05-2002, 11:08 AM
The barrel should slightly touch on two sides of the ball if it is sized correctly. You can see this if you put a ball in the breach end and hold the barrel up to the light. Playing tournaments, we always make this selection and then go one bigger for consistency.

Adam Gardner of Smart Parts and the All A's makes his team use nothing but .695 inserts in their impulses. The impulses have the same behind the ball pressure as the mag.

Also, rotate the insert until it is centered in the barrel. Believe it or not, the insert fits best in only one spot in the barrel. You can see this as well when you put the barrel up to the light and look into the muzzle end. You'll see the ring where the insert meets the front of the barrel. Make sure its equal all around the insert for best accuracy.

Thordic
09-06-2002, 08:49 AM
I always go for a slightly larger insert than fits the paint tightly.

A tight barrel isn't a great idea because it can easily lead to barrel breakage problems.

There are no instructions with the Freak because there is no science that says what size insert works the best with which paint. Some people prefer a tight fit, some people prefer a loose fit, and some people prefer a REALLY loose fit.

The Freak gives you the option to make sure you'll be able to get what you like with ANY paint you may shoot.

speedyejl
09-07-2002, 12:56 AM
AGD did some tests on the right bore size with powder. The procedure goes as follows.

1. Coat the inside of the barrel in a powder
2. Dry fire to remove excess powder
3. Fire a ball

Now heres how you tell the size you need.
Larger: If almost or all the powder is gone
Same: If their are two main streaks of no powder (this is where the balls has the most contact at the seams)
Smaller: If you get lots of stripes from the ball bouncing around (Zebra Effect)