PDA

View Full Version : I need help on getting a car

magsRus
08-29-2002, 07:33 PM
I have 6,000 bucks and I want to know what kind of car you would recommend. Insurance isnt a problem I got my parents to help pay half of it each month.

I use kelly blue book and auto trader but still cant find anything I like

EastAl
08-29-2002, 07:45 PM
well, what are you looking for in transportation?
do you want a cool little car, to try and impress the ladies in? do you want to be able to cram a bunch of people in one car, to take places? do you want a truck that you can play off road in?

it depends on what you're looking for.

HoppysMag
08-29-2002, 07:45 PM
iv been pushing BMW alot lately... ( mabey cause i just got one, used 85) but you can get all the fancy stuff on an old cheap car that is of good quality... mine came with leather,moonroof,power locks/windows,5 speed manual, 1985 535I BMW... all under 3000$ ( i knew the guy selling it) but also Hondas are cheap cars and what ever but its up to you, just like buying a new marker try them all out first...:D

rhetor22
08-29-2002, 08:07 PM
just give us the general region:

sporty car. Truck. Economy. decked out with leather n such. Person hauler.

then we will give you options.

magsRus
08-29-2002, 09:22 PM
oh sorry guys

I'm looking for a car that looks real nice but it doesnt have to have 250hp and haul *** everywhere just as long as its a pimp ride..car or sports car no trucks my friend died in one so now i'm scared of them

magman007
08-29-2002, 10:20 PM
hondas go for ever, and the civics are really pimp. you can rice rocket em when ever, and ther some of the fastest little casrs around.

Zumina
08-29-2002, 10:21 PM
I don't think a sports car would be a logical choice for a first car. I REALLY like the 93-96 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme convertibles. They look shag-nasty, will carry 5 people, have a convertible top (ladies LOVE this feature) and they're pretty quick to boot. They're not too bad in price either. A friend of mine bought a nice white 95' with 75k on it for $5500.

here's a pic

http://worldzone.net/technology/thetrixdj/car/car2.jpg
http://worldzone.net/technology/thetrixdj/car/car21.jpg

billybob_81067
08-30-2002, 12:18 AM
Go with the cheapest ride you can buy... prefferably $100 or less... then save all that money and buy more pb gear! LOL! Or you could always invest the money somewhere and make interest off it

;) now that's thinkin!

FrAuStY
08-30-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by magman007
hondas go for ever, and the civics are really pimp. you can rice rocket em when ever, and ther some of the fastest little casrs around.

Well..you know what they say about civics right? They're like tampons.. every pu#$% has one ;) Go with a mini truck :) that or find you a nice car for around 3000 and save the other 3000 for a downpayment on a NEW car 2 years from now, Thats what I'd do. Then if the beater you buy now is still around.. trade it in..plus the down payment.. and yer set.

FooTemps
08-30-2002, 01:55 PM
bah! boo riceburner civics! I say get a nice 240SX or maybe an MR2 SW20. The sw20's are nice looking cars.

Python14
08-30-2002, 02:28 PM
Ricers and Beaners are so overrated. Buy a truck. With 4000, you can get a nice older F-series or Ram. Get diesel if you can

vf-xx
08-30-2002, 02:37 PM
Well he said no trucks so that eleminates my first suggestion.

so the basics: If it's you're first car by something cheap that you won't mind wrecking. Stuff happens. Besides what chicks think of your car is usually overrated anyway. If they're really that easily impressed they're too shallow for you.

Blah.

I like my old cars. Tough on gas, and require mainanance. but no structural plastic, yay.

subbeh
08-30-2002, 03:04 PM
Look into a small import car. Not to rice them out, but they are GREAT vehicles! A honda civic will last up to 200k miles ussually, 34 miles per gallon or so, and decent looking as well as CHEAP! I lease a 2002 honda civic sedan DX for only about $215 a month, and insurance isn't so bad with them at all.

PS. you won't find one "performance upgrade" or sticker on my vehicle. I know it's a not a sports car :D Never will be

rhetor22
08-30-2002, 04:52 PM
definitly don't get a sports car. when i said "sporty" i didn't mean fast, cuz people call civics "sporty".

i guess you don't want a truck but i'll share this with you:

i got my F-150 for $5k and its got 75k miles on it. the truck will go for 4 times that if i treat it right. its a great investment. i can also make money with the truck by haulin stuff.

Python14
08-30-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by rhetor22
i can also make money with the truck by haulin stuff.

That was my number one reason for getting one, aside from fourwheeling.:)

rhetor22
08-30-2002, 05:31 PM
4 wheelin and camping in your truck are two very exciting activites.

i love ford like i love agd, only much, much more. Sorry agd, you lose.

Zumina
08-30-2002, 07:07 PM
almost any car will go 200k. My old 89' CHEVROLET Corsica had 206k on it when we parted. Still ran like a champ. It's all a matter of changing your oil at the proper intervals.

Zumina
08-30-2002, 07:09 PM
besides, I'd much rather have a nice car than a white trash pickup truck.

rhetor22
08-30-2002, 07:48 PM
an F-150 is a white trash pick up truck?

how about my dad's F-350 diesel that he worked his bum off to get?

You know what he uses that car for? Building houses that people like you live in.

You really should think before you blurt out stupid remarks that insult people.

I don't think many people would think as highly of a Lumina as you do...

not almost any car will do 200k reliably.

The straight six in my truck is good for 300,000 miles if you treat it right.

Your Corsica was an older american car. Those cars run for a long time. Most don't have little 4 cylinder engines using all their might to pull the car, they have large displacement engines that don't fling connecting rods thru the oil pan after 15k miles on them.

and i hope you don't think that 75x4=200

paint king
08-30-2002, 07:56 PM
Hey man i wasnt sure what to buy at first but then i discovered my car. I bought a 95 celica gt. It is a beautiful and sporty car. I got it for 4,000 with leather 50k miles, moonroof, 5 speed and rims. It looks great and ive thrown some stuff in there but other then that it works beautifully. No rust or scartches. I hope i never have to part with my loyal celica. Its just my suggestion. Look for one on a site or locally there a just great cars.

rhetor22
08-30-2002, 08:37 PM
hey paint king, 2 rights don't make a wrong, but 3 lefts make a right.

paint king
08-31-2002, 08:53 AM
Nice on ill have to add that.

Python14
08-31-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Zumina
besides, I'd much rather have a nice car than a white trash pickup truck.

Just because my truck is over 30 years old(sorta) and I wear a Leopard Skin Cowboy hat when I drive, it doesn't make me White trash.

rhetor22
08-31-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Python14

Just because my truck is over 30 years old(sorta) and I wear a Leopard Skin Cowboy hat when I drive, it doesn't make me White trash.

no, it makes you cool. :cool:

Python14
08-31-2002, 08:02 PM
haha durn tootin':D

Well, it's official. I stand superior to every car in the school parking lot. I just got back from a truck tug-o-war and I won a new shifter knob(looks like an 8ball).

Mossman
09-01-2002, 12:52 AM
8 ball shifter!

w00t!

honestly mags4us........test drive some stuff.

U know a lot better than us

Personally, as an american man I'd never ever ever buy an automatic unless it was like 1/3 less than an equivalent stick. Sticks pay for themselves in the long run (cuz chicks cant borrow it and crash it, lol)

Anyhoo...lemme think. Acura Legends are smoooooth rides. Nice cars. Run for a while, got acura style and comfort and Honda quality. The one i've driven was an auto though :(

Also...older (~90) Mustang GT's dont look so pretty but they're lighter and faster and better cars than current Stangs.

Umm...lets see...~93 Caddy STS would OWN, but its kinda hard to maintain or so i've heard. IN 93 I believe they didnt have the northstar yet so its a little quicker off the line. What a phat car! 300 horsies from a medium sized caddy with new looking styling.....and its 9 years old.

niceness ;)

Zumina
09-01-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by paint king
Hey man i wasnt sure what to buy at first but then i discovered my car. I bought a 95 celica gt. It is a beautiful and sporty car. I got it for 4,000 with leather 50k miles, moonroof, 5 speed and rims. It looks great and ive thrown some stuff in there but other then that it works beautifully. No rust or scartches. I hope i never have to part with my loyal celica. Its just my suggestion. Look for one on a site or locally there a just great cars.

lol, forgot the smiley face in my original post. I give props to America's crafstmen as 90% of my family belong to this group.

Your vehicle is also a function of your location. Being from a Boston suburb, cars are in as there are little to no places to "hit the mud". However, out west where off road opportunities are abundant, pick up trucks are king.

Say what you will about my Lumina, the point is I worked damn hard to save up for it (no mommy and daddy contributions) and I've wanted one ever since I saw a commercial for one back in 91'. It may not be the classiest or fastest thing around (although I do burn just about 99% of the Rice I incurr) I happen to like it. You also won't find me talking some trash like "It's going to be a 10 second, twin turbo, 200 shot nitrous, 1/4 mile monster in 1 year".

Lastly, yes, ANY engine will last as long as it's maintained and not abused. The old Corsica had a 2.8MPFI V6 engine. The oil had been changed religously and all of the service bulletins had been adressed. All of the "100,000 mile livelyhood" stereotypes were established back in the 70s when Oil technology was very poor and manufacturers actually designed their engines to fail. Due to modern marvels and competition from across the Pacific, American engines have the capability to go 200k+.

kevdupuis
09-01-2002, 03:57 PM
Go for a 65-66 Mustang coupe. You get a light sporty car thats a classic. If you take car of it, it will keep going up in value. Plus if you look around they can be found for a resonable price.

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
09-01-2002, 04:05 PM
www.dealsonwheels.com

niCE!

That website is mainly old cars but its got some awsome cars/deals

subbeh
09-01-2002, 04:07 PM
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Zumina
You also won't find me talking some trash like "It's going to be a 10 second, twin turbo, 200 shot nitrous, 1/4 mile monster in 1 year".

or maybe something like "(Originally posted by Zumina ) besides, I'd much rather have a nice car than a white trash pickup truck."

Don't knock on people's cars guys, it's one of those easily offendable things. Especially for men. Like Zumina says, lots of us have to work VERY hard to earn the vehicles we choose, and saying something like that (especially when it's a personal preference type-of-thing) can really get people P-Oed.

rhetor22
09-01-2002, 07:56 PM
I said that about your lumina so you would realize what you said mean to me and anyone else who had a pickup. my comment was not NEARLY as harsh as yours either.

I respect that you work hard for your car. I worked damn hard for my truck. My dad works damn hard for his truck, and his truck helps him work hard for other things like his house, the family, and other expenses.

Changing the oil regularly is good, but its not going to guarantee your car for 200k. Oil alone did not make engines double their lifespans. The amount of advancements to combustion engines since then has been emense. You never saw a small block 6 cylinder pumping out 300 horse.

There's much more to engine maintainance than oil my friend, even though much of us would hope that was it.

I don't care if your car has every spoiler and "aero dynamics" package on it. But if you go around saying it can beat out a 93 cobra... well i'm gunna set you straight. I'm with you on that one Zumina, your car is only as good as it is, and not as it will be.