PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me if I'm wrong?

pito189
08-30-2002, 06:27 PM
I am having a discussion with a gentleman on another forum. Please tell me if I'm just blowing smoke, or my claims have some foundation in truth.

http://www.midsouthpaintball.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=25659#post25659

magman007
08-30-2002, 06:41 PM
oh my god, i so hate those people, like with a passion. no matter what you tell them and prove it to em its the truth, they still go out and spit their sh(rhymes with spit). Tell them about physics, tell them about how the air expands in the barrel distributing evenly on the ball any ways. my gosh i hate these people!

Temo Vryce
08-30-2002, 06:46 PM
IMO you're both right. The paint to barrel match does play a part as does the way the air hits the ball. As to why everyone doesn't shout a Spyder Flash, well, it's like riding a moped. It's a lot of fun 'til your friends see you.

Sypder is a good marker but most players what a higher end marker just because it's a higher end marker.

Just my $0.02

*edit*
Magman007 may have just proven me wrong, and based on what he said I would believe him.

HoppysMag
08-30-2002, 06:53 PM
quick bring out our secret weapon!!!! SHARTLEY!!!! ha ha ha... well im probibly gunna be going to college for physics so when im out i will travel the country side and dispeel myths with my mag...:D

pito189
08-30-2002, 07:36 PM
The thing that killed me the most was the trajectory stuff.

rx2
08-30-2002, 07:37 PM
I don't feel like setting up an account, so I am not going to post there. Also, since I am being a little haphazard, I may miss something.

BUT, some of the points made are erronious, and I think you are justified in being curious.

One inaccuracy is that Mags hit the ball with air at high pressure. Well, because not all of the air in the chamber escapes at once, the effective air pressure on the ball, if I remember correctly, is under 100 psi. I think the figure given was 65 or so psi.

Also, they must now consider the Level 10, which has an extremely slow velocity in the first half of travel. This means that there is very low ball distortion.

EVEN IF there is appreciably higher distortion in one marker than in the other, as might be experienced with other, lower quality markers, once the round is in the barrel, the distortion normalizes, especially once the round is into the ported section. Therefore, nearly every marker will yeild the same ball distortion as the round leaves the barrel (considering the paint/barrel match is the same with all and the barrels are similar).

Since we have dispelled the myth that distortion causes some guns to be highly accurate, while mags are not, this means that it can no longer really be considered as a factor that affects flight.

Now, we know that as a round leaves the barrel, gravity immediately begins to work (actually, it has been working all along, but the barrel held the ball up). The force that gravity exerts has nothing to do with the marker.

BUT, spin can and will change the trajectory of the ball by causing it to exert forces counter to gravity (or in some other direction). However, it has been demonstrated that constant (and therefore accurate) spin is very difficult to achieve without an oversized barrel and a specifically designed device to induce the spin. It is unlikely that any marker not designed to induce spin, with a normal paint to barrel match, and good bore, will be able to put enough force into the paint to spin it at any appreciable velocity so to affect the trajectory. If there is a little spin, even from misdirected gas or a burr in the chamber, the fluid filling and the tightness of the bore of the barrel will slow the spin to an insignificant speed, or eliminate it. Also, lets not forget what high-speed cameras have shown in the lab.

Lets assume spin is involved, though. If a mag, or any marker doesn't shoot as far, it means that either the others put backspin on the ball, or the mag puts forward spin on it. If this were the case, tilting of markers would change the direction of the spin, and cause wildly different trajectories, which isn't the case. Again, spin is unlikely. Let me also state (although perception is not an accurate measure) that I have seen many guns fired, simultaneously, with my sight path perpendicular to the flight of the rounds. They all fired with the same amount of arc.

Now, some will say that none of this matters if you can't hold the gun still. We must consider that the level-10 bolt is in position to be the lightest reciprocating bolt out there, so kick is gone. Even with the older bolts, as long as one knows how to handle a marker, the kick will be minimal. SOme low end guns kick quite a bit, so they can be problematic for the weak or weary, but a skilled player should be able to handle this.

So, spin is gone, as is distortion. Kick may be a factor, but with today's markers, that is more of a defect inherent in the operator. Some markers ARE more accurate, though. This is where consistency comes in. Obviously, if you aren't consistent, your paint will deviate in range. A Mag on CO2 may not be the most consistent. However, my mag on compressed air is +/- 2 fps, or less. So, a mag can be just as consistent as any marker out there. There may be a concern with RT valves, as they shoot up at first, but proper operation will help combat this.

So, I think I have given major points as to why there is more homogeneity in the way markers fire paint then these people suspect. Consistency matters, as does paint/barrel match, a good bore, and the type of paint. BUT, the way the valve operates is not really of great concern as far as putting the paint where it needs to go.