PDA

View Full Version : Flatline barrel Q

mag-nanamus
09-02-2002, 02:21 PM
Tom says any more than 10" is a waste. Does this apply to flatline barrels as well?

Restola
09-02-2002, 02:23 PM
I think the answer is an obvious "no"

mag-nanamus
09-02-2002, 02:26 PM
I should clarify by saying I refer to the Z-body for automag.

cphilip
09-02-2002, 02:26 PM
hmmm... funny....I been tellin the wife the same thing...:eek:

Will Wood
09-02-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by cphilip

LOL!

magman007
09-02-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by cphilip

god phil, you kick arse! ROFLMAO!

FalconGuy016
09-02-2002, 08:35 PM
flatline barrels are special barrels, they are made to do something specific

I dont know about the 10" thing, probably at least partially true

LOL to PHIL

Damage
09-02-2002, 09:30 PM
When refering to the Z body the barrel is not what puts the spin on (Like a Tippmann Flatline) Lapco and Galactic both make a 12" huge bore to keep from killing the backspin which is introduced before the barrel by an adjustable nubbin:

http://www.galacticz.com/contents/img/spinanime.gif

I have heard some people on here have great results with really short barrels on this body. As long as it has a bore close to .700

I use a 10" inch when the spin is brely on and get real flat shooting results.

http://members.aol.com/steviefx1/images/8mag829.jpg

Psycho Chicken
09-02-2002, 09:39 PM
Yeah like said above, you need a hudge bore of a barrel. Most likely you'll have to special order.

Aliens-8-MyDad
09-02-2002, 10:36 PM
hmm made me think of something... would a freak barrel with .695 insert and a TAG tip work well?

Damage
09-02-2002, 10:46 PM
No the barrels are pretty available (Remember they are 'Cocker threaded) you can get the Lapco here:

http://www.g3pb.com/product_images/barrels/barrel_z_alum.html

and the Factory Z Barrels here:

http://www.galacticz.com/index.html

Quote: "hmm made me think of something... would a freak barrel with .695 insert and a TAG tip work well?"

I Think thats a real good idea, Wish I had thought of it myself, LOL.

SaS
09-02-2002, 11:13 PM
the flatline barrel is also much wider then 68 cal. at the end... makes finding barrel plugs interesting

think about it... if the paintball is still skidding on the barrel when it's spinning backwards... you have more friction then when using a normal barrel

forward force is sacrificed to but the spin on the ball
more force is loss as the foward spin makes contact with the barrel (the lower half of the ball is spinning out because the back-spin device hits the top half of the ball)
... but this might very well be compensated by the movement of the top half going along with the movment of the ball in the barrel...

you know what... now that i think about it, the only force loss is the initial back-spin process... but the backspin effect puts more stress on the shell of the paintball(the initial process and the trip down the barrel)

my hypotheses about the z-frame is that it would chew up fragile paint with the back-spin on(you are sticking a piece in the balls path)...

most flatlines(barrels) i've seen used arn't kind on fragile shell paint

the added distance that the back-spin gives... your paint will not have as much force behind it to break on target as much as you want. So a fragile paint would be nice in this case but the added stress on the paint could very well be too much for the more fragile paint...

with the mag, the paintball comes into contact with the back-spin device after it's fired... so a level 10 wouldn't have an effect on the breakage

Damage
09-03-2002, 02:03 AM
I've run Diablo thin shelled tourney paint with no problem. Its a very soft piece of rubber and does not stick down very far into the body. When playing speedball I just play with a tighter barrel and the spin off. During long woods ball type games I use a A more regular shelled paint with no problems having it break on people. This design does not loft the deign does not loft the ball as much as the Tippmannn Flatline barrel. You dial it in to where it shoots flat to the distance you are shooting so it retains more energy on inpact. This is to a point if you dial in too much the balls will start doing this climbing thing.

This quote from the site might explain it better than I do..:

"The backspin technology is sort of new for paintball, but it has been used in the Airsoft industry for years. Players will have to experiment with this product to find the happy medium where the ball flies straight, long and breaks on target. There is a point at which the ball might travel such a great distance that by the time it impacts the target, the energy with which it impacts is so diminished that the ball does not break. The Z-Body was designed to increase range while maintaining, or increasing, enough energy to cause the ball to break"