PDA

View Full Version : Question about field air...

than205
09-02-2002, 09:49 PM
This weekend a field owner was telling someone that their bulk tanks were a mix of compressed air. (He might have said nitrogen, but that's not what stuck out in my mind.) And the second part of the mix was a small amount co2.

Does this jive with anyone else? I've never heard of this.

gander666
09-02-2002, 11:09 PM
HPA is high pressure air, which is what you breath. Thus it is ~ 79% Nitrogen, 19% oxygen and 2% everything else.

The everything else includes CO2, Neon, He, Xe, Ar, Fl and likely some NO and NO2, as well as a touch of O3 (ozone).

This is roughly the standard fractions of normal air.

Geoff

speedyejl
09-02-2002, 11:09 PM
He might of made the mix custom (by himself) for some odd reason. Most places own a bunch of scuba tanks which they fill by an air compressor. It would be more expensive/time consuming two mix in Co2

than205
09-02-2002, 11:17 PM
Thanks. I know what breathable air is comprised of. I appreciate the effort though and I understand we often don't know who we are speaking to.
However, this field owner was speaking as if this mix was intentional. I am wondering what benefit it would have. He has just spent some large cash for this system. And he seemed to be supplying it from bulk tanks with a booster system.

speedyejl
09-03-2002, 12:13 AM
Well Co2 (liquid) does have a smaller space to shot ratio than air. Im thinking that since the air is at 3000psi+ one might be able to get a lota Co2 in their since its mixed with preasurized air. Im just guessing though
My friend has a Bud Orr Mega Booster its nice (just to mention)

PyRo
09-04-2002, 11:26 AM
The atmosphere is about 80% nitrogen, therefore most of what you have in your tank is nitrogen. There is also Co2, 02, and tons of other gasses mixed in.

athomas
09-05-2002, 11:19 AM
I have heard of guys using a bit of CO2 in their air tanks with the compressed air.

The air is compressed and can be filled to 3000/4500psi depending on the tank. When the air pressure gets low, the guns don't work as well. By putting small bit of liquid CO2 in the mix, the liquid CO2 maintains a constant pressure on the air of about 800psi. Therefore you have more usable air on the field. That's the theory anyway.

than205
09-05-2002, 04:39 PM
There we go this sounds somewhat plausable. Does anyone want to confirm this?

BTW - Thanks all.

PyRo
09-05-2002, 08:03 PM
Its possible. However, won't liquid co2 freeze the reg of your tank, if that is all thats left at lower pressures as you described, especially if your gun is angled downward.