PDA

View Full Version : Regulated CO2 in a Retro

Magluvr
09-03-2002, 05:44 PM
I was wondering if you couldn't use CO2 in a Retro because there is a chance of getting Liquid into the valve or because the pressure could be too high from a CO2 tank; since they aren't regulated. So, if I were to get a reg, or series of regs which would guarantee no liquid would get into the valve would I still hurt it.

(P.S. The reason I am asking is because there are NO places to fill hpa around here)

Telefragged
09-03-2002, 08:51 PM
There really is NO WAY to run CO2 (even regulated) into an RT/ReTro valve. It recharges WAY to fast to let any liquid CO2 boil off into gas, and even if you did have like 10 stabilizers, expansion chambers the flow rate would be so low that the reg would either freeze and damage the on/off constantly, or suffer horrendous shootdown, while freezing and ceasing at the same time.

Person
09-04-2002, 01:23 AM
if you live were you cant get c/a and need co2 get an aci 6 stage x chamber anti siphon and if you want to shoot fast , centerflag hyperframe with your standard valve. its simply impossible to use co2 in a rt/retro. have a nice day

nerobro
09-04-2002, 01:29 AM
Well.. the valve will run... the gun will shoot. But you'll have wild velocity spikes.

CO2 is a strange gas, and even just as a gas expand a LOT due to heating. Nitrogen is much more stable, and doesn't change pressure so much with heat.

At least thsi is my understanding. In high heat situations they fill airplane tires with n2 because it doesnt' really expand with heat. Normal air (with water vapor, co2 and other gasses involved) will expand far too much with heat...

Now I'm not entirely into the physics of the deal. that's probally left up to the chemists here.

the answer is No, you can't effectively run an RT valve on co2.

ShooterJM
09-04-2002, 09:23 AM
Yeah I'll dig around my desk here, I have some gas phase charts that I might be able to scan up. Pretty easy to see the difference between CO2 and N2 when they're overlayed. I'll see if I can find them.