PDA

View Full Version : Model trains!

rhetor22
09-03-2002, 05:45 PM
I just finished putting up my HO scale train around my room. I made a ledge out of 1x4 pine and used some trim to put it up about 1 foot below the cieling. so now my little locomotive goes around my room with its lights flashing.

Anyone else have a bunch of scale trains? They're pretty cool just to watch go around.

On a side note, if anyone has a bunch of HO scale cars (any kind, box cars, log haulers whatever i dont care) they want to sell me that would be sweet. I don't have any with working wheels :D

Python14
09-03-2002, 06:48 PM
haha, I used to be all about model railroads. I still have my layout down in the basement. I saved day after day to buy all my little HO trains. Sorry, I built a steel mill layout so no boxcars. Sorry. Enjoy your railroad though:)

rhetor22
09-03-2002, 07:05 PM
had her running for a good hour with no skips! didn't fall off the track once! yay!! It would hurt a lot if the thing fell on my head...

trains are cool :D

i would buy new cars but all money goes to the truck right now.

FactsOfLife
09-04-2002, 11:58 AM
I used to have a pretty nice collection of N scale stuff, gave it to my nephew.

wonder what happened to it after that...

dre1919
09-04-2002, 12:17 PM
I used to really enjoy this model railroad club I was in when I was an eighth grader (seems like 14 years ago...oh, wait..) Anyway, our teacher that sponsored it was the art teacher so naturally we were friends with me being an art student. Model railrods are very cool, and a meticulous hobby. Somehow that got morphed into table top gaming for me in high school. For those who don't know what table top is, it's basically like role playing and models mixed into one. You pick a theme, say WWII, and pick a size, say 1:72. Then you just go out and buy miniatures like mad and paint them up. Once the rules are established, a real printed game version or your own you make up, then you create mock battles using dice rolls to determine outcomes and tape measurers to determine ranges on weapons and line of sight. It may sound odd, but it's a really good time. Haven't done it in years though. Just thought I'd share.

Army
09-04-2002, 10:43 PM
Still have my N scale around here somewhere. My good friend is so into HO, that he bought a hobby store to make his passion a business!

rhetor22
09-05-2002, 10:24 AM
What size is N scale in comparison to HO?

I don't think i've ever seen them.

I just won 10 complete cars, 2 broken engines, and 8 broken cars on ebay for $20. I figure i can use parts to fix some old ones.

Can't wait till my engine is tuggin them around my ledge in my room!

Python14
09-05-2002, 02:01 PM
N is smaller than HO(like 1/122 scale or something) Then theres Z, which is even smaller than that.

rhetor22
09-05-2002, 08:05 PM
i remember seeing the Zs... they were miniscule!

pretty cool nonetheless.

can't wait till my cars come, i can stare at my wall for hours on end!!

cphilip
09-05-2002, 10:20 PM
I got Caleb a nice set a long while back its a limited edition LGB. Forget the guage, The big garden train stuff indoor outdoor stuff. Heavy brass tracks. Its a car hauler with two scale automobiles on it. German stuff very nice quality if you know LGB. That is the top of the line. Its all in a Steemer trunk with brass plates and stuff. Its a numbered set of 1000. This thing is a real sweet set up. I should get some pictures...

Curly
09-07-2002, 01:13 AM
Yes do get some pictures, that sounds really cool. My mom's cousin has a whole outdoor setup that goes around his backyard. It was there when he bought the house and it is really cool.