PDA

View Full Version : FOR all you Duct tapers, loc titers and so on.....

magman007
09-04-2002, 03:41 PM
Well, for all of you who praise duct tape and loc tite(me!) i found another really great product. I found out about it listening to car talk. Well the product is JB Weld. This stuff is good!

The car Talk guys reccomended it to this person to fix his cracked engine block! and apparently it worked!

I just used it to fix my e-mag, if you dont remember there was a bad problem with the triggerframe, well, its fixed now!

This stuff is great. I reccomend it to all of you to go out and carry some with you in your tool box.

SlipknotX556
09-04-2002, 03:45 PM
I used that to put the magnet back on the top of my emag trigger, great stuff.

personman
09-04-2002, 03:50 PM
Yeah jb weld is cool thats the stuff where you mix the like grey stuff and black stuff in diffrent tubes togerther right? Yeah I used that on something... I forgot what it was..

Yeah epoxy is cool too

p8ntballa
09-04-2002, 04:00 PM
Yep, I use it to keep my foamies on :D

Remington
09-04-2002, 04:04 PM
Is it easy to take off? Like loc-tite and duct tape?

misfit
09-04-2002, 04:08 PM
it is negitave easy to take off. it is an epoxy that when hardens is machineable, like you can grind it, drill, it tap it. it is not for sealing threads.

magman007
09-04-2002, 05:02 PM
yes, should have stated that, this stuff is a steel epoxy. as i said, a guy fixed his engine block with it. i deffinitely trust it. I think everyone should have some. its dang good stuff

FactsOfLife
09-04-2002, 05:21 PM
I despise JB Weld. I loathe JB Weld. JB Weld to me is basically grey poop in a tube...

'course I actually know how to weld....

My one and only experience with JB Poop in a tube, was on a boat I owned. A prior owner had used it to attach the trailer winch to the trailer. Never mind that the boat weighed 4500 pounds. Or that that particular trailer was galvanized. Or that the entire operating load was across the direction of attachment. Or that man invented a fastening device known as a BOLT....

magman007
09-04-2002, 05:32 PM
but facts, how long did it last? ???? i mean, when it comes to normal welding, id rather have that done, but can you weld my trigger frame? i wouldnt want you to, beause you would melt the hole i fixed bigger! this stuff is really nice, i mean, what other experiences have you had with it? how were they bad?

BlackVCG
09-04-2002, 05:42 PM
If I can't actually weld it, then I buy the part. JB Weld has yet to actually work on something that I needed fixed. Maybe the stuff I use it on is too small or it just doesn't like me, but I'd use it about as often as teflon tape on high pressure fittings (which is never).

FactsOfLife
09-04-2002, 05:43 PM
it's devil goop I tell you...

it took me one good hit with a hammer to remove the offending winch.

I won't use it for anything. I'd rather fix something properly than do a halfassed job with some product marketed by bezelbub.

for your trigger, I probably WOULD weld it properly and remachine the hole on a mill.

I know not everyone has access to those kinds of tools, but this is just me.

devil goop I tell you... devil goop...

magman007
09-04-2002, 05:44 PM
hahaha black, that tefflon tape refference was great! please tell me how it hasnt worked? what hasnt it done? like, what stuff have you tried to bond? so far i have bonded the spacer for the drop on my e-mag, and im currently letting the bond set for my magnet thingie, hopefuly it will work (thanks for worring me black....)

edit: facts, sorry for sounding like a jerk, i didnt know you could weld something that small, made out of aluminum. you see, my problem was that after annodizing, the acids to clean it off weakened the part where the magnets sit above, and that completely punched out. SO my father sent me small aluminum disks, of various sizes, and i found the right side, jb welded wedged in, and it is bonding now, i just wish i had a way to heep pressure on it for 24 hours. the lack of pressure worried me as it may not set correctly, and the problem may happen to the next buyer, (soon hopefully as i can get mopre down in chile for it than i can USA)

FactsOfLife
09-04-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by magman007

edit: facts, sorry for sounding like a jerk

no offense given, none taken bud.:D

If it was that bad, and this is just me talking, I probably would have machined a whole new part if I couldn't weld it properly.

If it's a NON load bearing piece, like a trigger frame, I may have tried some kind of chemical bond to fix it. Especially if I didn't have access to a machining center.

magman007
09-04-2002, 08:15 PM
hmmm a chemical bond? you know.... something like jb weld??? lol but serrioulsly, if there is something, better, more reliable that i have acess to, tell me now before the jb weld fully sets

zvanut
09-04-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by BlackVCG
If I can't actually weld it, then I buy the part. JB Weld has yet to actually work on something that I needed fixed. Maybe the stuff I use it on is too small or it just doesn't like me, but I'd use it about as often as teflon tape on high pressure fittings (which is never).

thats only because no one likes you, or anything for that matter :)

cris8762
09-04-2002, 09:21 PM
i listen to it every sunday, and NPR in the mornings on the way to school.......so you heard the car talk about the guy that completely submerged the front of his car? and the lady that wanted to drive cros country in a subaro wrx with like 120,000 miles on it to tow a sailboat and a wine collection back to michigan from cali? lol....some people and their cars:rolleyes: :D

BlackVCG
09-05-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by zvanut

thats only because no one likes you, or anything for that matter :)

I know where you live.

luke
09-05-2002, 08:04 AM
"it took me one good hit with a hammer to remove the offending winch".

:cool: LOL, This has got to be the best one liner I have ever read on AO!

riooso
09-05-2002, 08:21 AM
There is a really good use that is going to be needed when we get the Xtremes. Mix a little bit up and take a toothpick and put some on the top, inside of the barrel. Let dry by turning JB in the barrel so that it is now on the bottom so that it will flatten out. It can be cut with an exacto knife if needed to get the desired thickness. This will make it possible to shoot smaller balls. I have used it on my cocker and shot at least 10 cases and it is still there.

R

magman007
09-05-2002, 12:46 PM
WHAT? i am not, i repeat not putting jb weld on any where near my extreme! If i want to shoot smaller balls, im just guna use a small bore barrel! or use a freak with a small insert!

riooso
09-05-2002, 06:28 PM
Get over it madman. I am talking about having a difference of about 2 thousands of an inch. With the Xtreme you do not have a ball detent. Feaks are ok but definately not the same as a stainless Dye or JT.

R

magman007
09-05-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by riooso
With the Xtreme you do not have a ball detent.
R

yes... you do

also, how can you determine if freaks are worse than dye stainlesses and the jt 2 pieces? i have owned a freak before, but i curently do not own one. If i were to use a barrel that was one piece, instead of a freak, it would be cp barrels all the way, i have one now on the e-mag and i love it!

edit: removed sig

riooso
09-05-2002, 09:10 PM
I'm sorry I did not know that an Xtreme, which uses and autococker barrel, had a detent like we mag owners are use to. That is good! I stand corrected.

R

magman007
09-05-2002, 09:20 PM
lol its ok, but doesnt your cocker have a detent? or is it a very old cocker before they ,ade detents? the one on the extreme is alot like the detentd on cockers and angels, sorry if i sounded like a jerk

hubadlatimmy
09-05-2002, 09:48 PM
Thats good stuff. I used it to attach me hopper to it's feedneck after I ripped it clean off the gun in the middle of a game.

riooso
09-05-2002, 10:17 PM
Hey no problem MM. You know now that you brought it up how does a ball get fed into the barrel? In a cocker since it is a closed bolt a small detent made with JB plactical. By the way you are right about the barrel thing also but CP makes the JT barrel if I am not mistaken. It has been my experience that stainless barrels are superior to aluminum barrel on a number of points a couple being that they will not wear out like aluminum barrels and they have the ability to shoot paint that is a bit tight and not break balls.

R

hubadlatimmy
09-05-2002, 10:21 PM
cp doesn't make JT barrels. Jt makes JT barrels.

In any experience I have had with aluminum or stainless steel, aluminum shoots well but the steel is just a tab bit better not by much though. Those SS barrels are pigs though they weigh to much.

mag-nanamus
09-06-2002, 04:08 PM
I'm sorry to revert to the original subject, but I caught this thread late. I love the practicallity and versatility of JB Weld. Not only has it exceeded my expectations (none of which involve a winch)but I have actually made parts out of JB Weld.