PDA

View Full Version : Loctite

tom_hill2k
09-04-2002, 05:45 PM
could i use loctite on the steel braided cable connections shown on the picture i ask because they move when the valve is dissconected and removed so would it be a good idea to use red loctite so only the steel braided cable moves and not the 90 deg connectors?

BlackVCG
09-04-2002, 05:54 PM
Is that a Mag Hi-Rise body? That looks like a custom PF plug you have. I'll bet it doesn't have the smooth curve like the AGD parabolic PF plug. If you have any feeding problems, that new plug will fix those problems.

As for the fittings, carefully put a wrap of teflon tape on the threads. The tape will cause the fittings to tighten up and not move around when they're pointed in the direction you have them now. Just make sure that when you're putting on the fittings that they get nice and snug when they're pointing the direction you want them.

tom_hill2k
09-04-2002, 05:59 PM
theirs teflon tape on their now i think it needs more tho theirs a slight leak on the veritcal adapter but would it be easier in the long run to lock then with loctite? pf plug is in the post and yep its a high rise powerfeed :)
thanks

BlackVCG
09-04-2002, 06:02 PM
If you want to use loctite, only use the blue 242. The red 271 loctite will permanently lock your fittings.

tom_hill2k
09-04-2002, 06:04 PM
ok thanks i will probilly go with the blue loctite will i have to remove all the teflon tape already on or should i leave on and use the loctite aswel?

BlackVCG
09-05-2002, 12:19 AM
Remove the teflon tape if you're going to put on the loctite.

Thordic
09-05-2002, 10:03 AM
BlackVCG for some reason has something against Loctite 545, which is made for high pressure pneumatic systems :)

FlipFlops
09-05-2002, 11:59 AM
Teflon tape actually isn't rated much over 150 psi. They do make high pressure versions of it, and it's color coded. I strongly suggest using blue loctite instead, as it cleans up better, doesn't put bits of tape through your gun if you don't apply it correctly, and locks your elbows into place so they don't move around.

Thordic
09-05-2002, 12:24 PM
Loctite 545, as I always maintain, is made specifically for high pressure pneumatic thread sealing.

What is he doing?

Trying to seal high-pressure pneumatic threads.

Get the picture?

Teflon tape is made for water lines (white tape) or gas lines (yellow I believe). White tape is made to operate at like 60 PSI, gas lines are higher, but still nowhere in the range of 800 to 3000 PSI. It may work, but its not the right tool for the job. Why jury rig something when the correct tool is readily available?

Also, using teflon tape on a gun voids the warranty on certain guns. I know that using teflon tape anywhere on an intimidator voids any warranty for solenoid work.

tom_hill2k
09-05-2002, 12:45 PM
thanks guys blue loctite it will :)

BlackVCG
09-05-2002, 03:00 PM
I would have mentioned Loctite 545 or 592 because they are the correct products to use, but i've A) Pretty much given up telling people this because they can't find it or can't comprehend placing an order through Grainger B) He's from England so I figured it would be more difficult to obtain 545 or 592.

Thordic
09-05-2002, 03:04 PM
I just walk into Grainger and buy it :)

PyRo
09-05-2002, 08:00 PM
Loctite 545 is the line selent, blue will seal also, but will lock the threads. In this case he is trying to lock the threads, in most you are not trying to lock them.

hitech
09-06-2002, 12:29 PM
The types of threads we are trying to seal on paintball markers do not typically need sealant. They are generaly pipe threads and do a good job of sealing on their own (that is the idea of the thread design in the first place, isn't it?). Teflon tape is used on pipe threads to keep them from sticking together. It can also help seal, but if the threads are clean and tight they won't leak anyway.

PyRo
09-06-2002, 05:27 PM
They can leak if you use teflon tape, how are they supposed to not leak if you use nothing. I can see maybie if they're brand new lines, and you tighten them alot them not leaking.

hitech
09-09-2002, 12:24 PM
PipE threads are cut an angle such that they are smaller at the beginin. Therefore they get tighter as you "tighten" them.

My stroker has no sealant on the pipe thread fittings and I believe the mini mag has none on the elbow that screws into the vertical bottle adapter.