PDA

View Full Version : grumble grumble...

synreal
09-06-2002, 12:22 PM
this is the first (and only) time i will say this..I wish i was in california.

normally i despise things like...well..beaches and heat, but there is something i want desperately there that i can't have from my current vantage point in michigan.

i ran across a gentleman who is selling the "rolling frame" of a honda cb 750 motorcycle. by "rolling frame", he means everything but a gas tank, gauges, exhaust and paint (he is even including about 8 pounds of grease and filth on the engine for free), and he only wants $125 for it. i was looking for a bike to rebuild over this blissfully long and icy winter, but sadly it is not to be. :(

note to self - must devise a way for most of the midwest and mountain states to be "relocated" to make cali a reasonable drive from detroit.

Snewk
09-06-2002, 12:35 PM
I'm in Florida, even farther from Cali than you are syn. Although I hate the hot weather here, we have beaches to go to, now only to find time to go to them.

Potatoboy
09-06-2002, 01:12 PM
He won't crate it up?

The frieght won't be that much if he sends it through someone like DHL.

synreal
09-06-2002, 01:22 PM
he just wants the bike gone, and that's why he is letting it go cheap. he said if the buyer wants anything fancy (palette, crating, ...), basically anything other than me showing up in his driveway with a pickup, that the cost will go up quickly.

i think wyn is thinking of upgrading to a nicer/bigger bike in the spring, i'll check to see if i can buy his current one off of him once it gets too cold to ride this fall. i'm 90% done rebuilding a '74 360cc race bike, but need something with a bit more umph to take me around town.

Potatoboy
09-06-2002, 01:23 PM
meh, take a few days off work... road trip.

synreal
09-06-2002, 01:39 PM
sure why not, its only a 4705.2 mile round trip ($250 in gas)

Potatoboy
09-06-2002, 02:14 PM
and your point is...?

synreal
09-06-2002, 02:16 PM
that im not spending twice the amount on gas/shipping that i am on the actual product...tis a matter of principle.

Potatoboy
09-06-2002, 02:21 PM
You could always use Ian's brilliant idea....

Fly out and Uhaul back...

Didn't check the price of the ticket, but the truck is only 1,099 and includes 2776 miles, the rest are meager $.40 each.

PyRo
09-07-2002, 09:10 AM
Yes, but can you get one for less than $400 where you live is the question.

animal
09-08-2002, 10:16 PM
Grumble Grumble...
I thought this thread would force me to use the "Food".

Some of you old school guys might actually know what I'm talking about :)

Potatoboy
09-08-2002, 11:12 PM
I do!

I'm a dork too!

"SHHHH. It's a secret to everybody."

synreal
09-09-2002, 01:15 PM
have you ever gone online to price out a vehicle, and wondered what poor SOB has to go through and create the little tiny pictures that show you what your car would look like?

imagine it, some unfortunate soul has to sit down and create images of every model, in every color, with every fabric option, every wheel combo, and every possible combination of factory installed exterior options that a manufacturer offers. that guy's life must kinda suck at times.

in other news, i got a glorious "little" task at the office today...

Potatoboy
09-09-2002, 01:19 PM
haha

</nelson voice>

synreal
09-09-2002, 01:22 PM
<font size="1" color="#888888">//note to self//
hang potatoboy by his entrails.</font>

you'll find the back of my hand very displeasing...

Potatoboy
09-09-2002, 01:25 PM
just remember, the lime green paint with the pink leapord pattern seats with the gold rims just shows an image of a stick figure being shot, and a little arrow above him that says "you"

synreal
09-09-2002, 01:31 PM
i can't wait until next year when they go to fully 3d rendered images, no more "product correct" touch-ups for me :)

vf-xx
09-09-2002, 02:21 PM
eh well if was worth any more the road trip would be worthwhile. My dad recently drove out to Tennesee (from ft worth) to pick up a 69 talidega (sp?). The car's going to rock when he gets it all put together. hehe.

Syn. just find an AO member out there to pick it up for you.

Then they can crate it and ship it. Supposing you pay for it of course.

synreal
09-13-2002, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by synreal
have you ever gone online to price out a vehicle, and wondered what poor SOB has to go through and create the little tiny pictures that show you what your car would look like?

imagine it, some unfortunate soul has to sit down and create images of every model, in every color, with every fabric option, every wheel combo, and every possible combination of factory installed exterior options that a manufacturer offers. that guy's life must kinda suck at times.

in other news, i got a glorious "little" task at the office today...

brain = putty
task = done

the sad thing is, very little scripting/automation could be used...

wyn1370
09-13-2002, 08:56 AM
It's about time, geez could you have taken any longer.
But seriously, when do we get to see the finished product?

synreal
09-13-2002, 09:06 AM
//shrugs//

dunno, its part of a larger request (the full 2003 model year vehicle launch) so as soon as you can goto the chrysler, dodge or jeep sites and price out an '03 vehicle those will be my images. i did...oh say...65-70% of the '02 ones that are currently up on the sites.

NOT my idea of fun, but hey it pays the bills.