PDA

View Full Version : Oil in HPA tanks-a warning

Load SM5
09-07-2002, 10:50 AM
I saw and read this on Warpig and thought it would be good to link it here. I've seen people drop oil into their fill nipples at my field and think this is important enough info to spread around.

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/articles/news/090602HPAwarn.shtml

FeelTheRT
09-07-2002, 11:06 AM
uh oh, i drop oil into my tank almost everytime i play... Thanks for the warning.

Mossman
09-07-2002, 12:45 PM
I never even thought of doing this, but thanks for the heads up Load

warpfeedmod
09-07-2002, 03:21 PM
Great topic, perhaps we should make this a sticky? I emailed this to the local field (CPX) and suggested they put up some sort of sign near the fill stations alerting players to this. PErhaps we should email other fields as well about this to educate them.

Scooter/Cootie
09-07-2002, 09:10 PM
Good info. Thanks for the FYI.

Tron
09-07-2002, 11:44 PM
My tank says that right on the guage. Thought it would be common sense so you wouldnt gunk up the inside of your tank or blow yourself up... :rolleyes:

-Tron

joeyjoe367
09-08-2002, 12:26 AM
I don't understand how putting oil into an HPA tank would benefit it anyway... Oil never sealed any leaks in my experience.

Good to know anyway, Just in case I see anyone at the field doing that.

FeelTheRT
09-08-2002, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by joeyjoe367
I don't understand how putting oil into an HPA tank would benefit it anyway... Oil never sealed any leaks in my experience.

Good to know anyway, Just in case I see anyone at the field doing that.
oil always fixes a dried up o-ring for me, thats why i used to always drop oil in my tank to keep the reg nice and lubed.

joeyjoe367
09-09-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by FeelTheRT

oil always fixes a dried up o-ring for me, thats why i used to always drop oil in my tank to keep the reg nice and lubed.

...well now you know not to that :D

Aren't O-rings generally supposed to stay dry?

ogre55
09-09-2002, 10:24 AM
I have a Max-Flow. Lovely system. Consistent as all get out and you can break down the regulator and service it yourself, which I recently had to do.

However, when servicing the regulator, the manual specifically says to lubricate certain parts. They use Dow Corning 33 lube, which may be silicone rather than oil based.

Point is that if you need to lube your tank, use the lube the manufacturer reccomends and if that lube is oil based maybe you should call the manufacturer before applying it.

Ogre

FutureMagOwner
09-09-2002, 03:03 PM
well what your doing and what they are advising against are 2 separate thing when you put it in the fill nipple and then fill your tank your getting it into the tank and then the oil gets sprayed out into the gun(sometimes) with what your doing your only oiling the regulator not the tank(hopefully)