PDA

View Full Version : Old Skool eye candy for you

Vern1
09-08-2002, 07:20 PM
Greetings,
These jewels appeared at my field today with the proud owner.
They are Montneel Z1 Semi-Autos made in the US - see the close up of the tag.
They shoot very well and are in near perfect shape.
I got to shoot them - really cool with the brass lined barrels and fairly accurate on LIQUID CO2 and very consistent at +/- less than 5 FPS!
Check out the really old "power feed hopper"
They are both very quick field strip.
http://www.pettypb.com/z11.jpg
http://www.pettypb.com/z12.jpg
http://www.pettypb.com/z13.jpg
http://www.pettypb.com/z14.jpg

Enjoy, I know I did!

Mossman
09-08-2002, 07:24 PM
Wow, those are friggen sweet. Those are from very early 90's right?

Vern1
09-08-2002, 07:31 PM
Greetings,
I am not honestly sure.
The owner will be back next weekend to actually play with them and I will get more photos and info.
My batteries were going in the digital, so I shot what I could before it died!!

thei3ug
09-08-2002, 07:46 PM
I have an old Mega-z... camoflage. Flourescent camoflage. Palmer barrel and stock.

Everyone I know says it's the ugliest thing. I guess it's a cultural thing, because when I took it to florida (where the origional owner was from) they seemed to think it was "wicked."

Yah, mega Zs are probably the king of inline blowbacks. And one of the best winter guns around.

PigSweat
09-08-2002, 08:52 PM
Are they worth anything? There is one in the junk bin at my local shop.

TransMan
09-08-2002, 09:22 PM
How much do they want for the one in the "Junk" bin?

Gitaroo Man
09-08-2002, 09:34 PM
lol, those are sweet

PigSweat
09-08-2002, 09:42 PM
It depends if it's worth anythign ;)

sime
09-08-2002, 11:50 PM
....i thought it was a mega Z.......but the 2 in the pictures are obviously an earlier design to the one i remember.

a friend of mine in my first year of college played with a mega Z, he loved it.........i dunno though, i could never warm up to it. at the time i was using a PMI-3, sometimes a PGP, and a phantom, so i was a little behind the times compared to him.

i shot his a few times, and wasn't overly impressed. but hey; what did/do i know?

cheers

Sledgehammer
09-09-2002, 01:11 AM
My former team captain bought a Montneel Z1 in '93 (When I bougt my first Mag)

TransMan
09-09-2002, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by PigSweat
It depends if it's worth anythign ;)
Nope not worth a damned thing ill give ya 5$ plus shipping for it :D

krafty
09-09-2002, 07:42 AM
One looks like a Z-1, the other a Mega-Z. If I recall correctly, there were also a bunch of knock-offs made of them. Some parts were interchangeable, some weren't. Only the Montneel ones were worth buying.

They break down for cleaning so easily, it even puts a mag to shame. :)

SSMercury
09-09-2002, 08:22 AM
Hm, I like the looks of those. I always thought they were cool because they NEED syphon tanks to run on liquid CO2. A regular oddity in a world where most paintguns abhor liquid CO2.

Muzikman
09-09-2002, 08:24 AM
Bug, Hey man, I loved the Mega-Z you hace...hell man, I want to buy half your collection off you. If you sell it all to me, I promise to give them all good homes:)

But anyway, that is a Z1, great guns. There where always quite a few around my local fields cause they where built in PA. If some of you have been to EMR, then you probably have heard quite a bit about these guns cause thats where they are from.

I think the true gem in that collection is the original agitating loader. I havn't seen one of them since about 94.

Vern1
09-09-2002, 09:36 AM
Greetings,
Yeah, when he pulled the agitating loader out of the box, it had a neoprene camo cover on it - in perfect condition.
He pulled it down to plug in the 9V battery and I said "whoa, take the cover off and let me take a pic of that".
The other interesting thing is all of the stuff is near pristine and the loader worked flawlessly.
I actually shot the one with the tank and the hopper on it just like in the picture.
Like I said, he is coming back in the next weekend or two and I will get more pictures of better quality.

It is really nice to have folks that remember these and appreciate them.

He said they shoot more consistently on liquid than gas and said he has played with the Z1 for quite some time and it would work in the coldest weather when everybody else was packing it in.

thei3ug
09-09-2002, 11:08 AM
The grey one is a montneel Z1, one of the first ones made, ala welded feed tube.

the second one is a mega-z.

Montneel moved to canada and still makes them for rediculous prices.

Toxic Dave
09-10-2002, 08:42 AM
If you weren't shooting a Z-1 in the early 90's in the NY area you were shunned, they were the gun to have.

Mine had the Muti-gas valve, either liquid or vapor co2. It shot awesome, until the compressed air concept came out and other markers would work reliably in colder weather, then mags and cockers took over the world.

dave/ toxic

Thordic
09-10-2002, 09:09 AM
Any gun that works on liquid CO2 works great in cold weather.

You can modify a spyder, or any spyder clone, to work on liquid CO2 using a syphon tank.

You gain cold-weather dependability, but lose some effeciency.

Not to mention it'll kill your orings quicker, but if you want to play paintball somewhere really cold that doesnt have N2, it will work :)

thei3ug
09-10-2002, 03:17 PM
the idea was the Z series wouldn't have efficiency issues with liquid that other markers would.

xmetal2001
09-10-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by TransMan

Nope not worth a damned thing ill give ya 5$ plus shipping for it :D

Pigsweat--I think this is a good indication that it would be a good investment:D

Paintchucker
09-12-2002, 02:07 PM
before N2, this was the cold weather semi to have. If you need barrels for them, I think they are compatible with the Line SI Bushmasters. If I hadn't bought an F2 Illustrator in 1993/94, I probably would have bought this gun.

cjsummers04
01-20-2007, 08:48 PM
I have a Z-1 bought it in 92'. I have had quite a few other gunz through the years but this one is the best( semi-auto) gun I have ever had. You can get them still for 249.00 online. This is definetly the most consistent in the cold weather.

http://montneel.com/
This is a site with alot of info on these if anyone is interested

Gitaroo Man
01-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Uhhh, this was 5 years ago....

mag_lover05
01-20-2007, 09:06 PM
wow...talk about old thread resurection.

Remington
01-20-2007, 09:31 PM
wow...talk about old thread resurection.

At least it's on topic; and he added to the thread too! It's okay it my book! :cheers:

grEnAlEins
01-20-2007, 11:27 PM
At least it's on topic; and he added to the thread too! It's okay it my book! :cheers:
And he obviously used the search feature!! :headbang: What a cool guy :D

jenarelJAM
01-21-2007, 04:27 AM
He resurrected it, can we kill it now?

Meph
01-21-2007, 12:29 PM
You need a direct shot to the head, otherwise it'll just keep coming at ya.