PDA

View Full Version : Rain-X your barrel¿

Dern
09-09-2002, 01:02 AM
Hey all, I was just wondering if any of you have heard of that Rain-X barrel trick. I read on another forum a while back about people who coat their barrels with Rain-X (the water-repellent stuff for car windshields and stuff). They said it makes their barrel superly extra slick and smooth and some even said it may have made the barrel more accurate. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else knows abuot this or if you have tried it. If it really works please elaborate...

Ironmag
09-09-2002, 02:39 AM
Seems like a crazy, but good, idea.

Damage
09-09-2002, 04:23 AM
It works to a degree. What I noticed most was that after a break it shoots clean faster. And the barrel seems to not get as dirty as fast from general paintball exposure. The best way to apply that I have noticed is to get one of those boxes of Rain-X wipes and just push one through your barrel with a battle swab. No muss, no fuss...

Thordic
09-09-2002, 07:48 AM
I've tried this, it seemed to help with breaks a little more. I don't know about more accurate, though.

I have an old SP All American that shoots great until it gets paint in it, then it does NOT get clean. I sprayed some rain X down the barrel, and it can actually shoot through a break now.

I buy the liquid spray stuff, and just spray some down the barrel, wait a minute, then run the squeegee through.

The stuff smells pretty foul though, don't spray yourself with it, it can't be good for you.

ShooterJM
09-09-2002, 11:41 AM
Wow, that's an old school trick that seems to be coming around again. I think there used to be a company in canada that sold somthign called "tru-shot" or "shoot-tru" or something like that. Basically it was Rain-x with another label slapped on it. Works decently for barrel breaks though! Never noticed accuaracy gains.

Miscue
09-09-2002, 12:34 PM
Rain-X has no effect on accuracy/velocity (According to Dave Kermode). The clean break effect wears out after a while...

ShooterJM
09-09-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Miscue
Rain-X has no effect on accuracy/velocity (According to Dave Kermode). The clean break effect wears out after a while...

Yeah if I remember right you had to reapply it every case or so for maximum shoot-throughability (New word).

FutureMagOwner
09-09-2002, 03:05 PM
lol i need some of this stuff for my barrels then cuz i get breaks in em ALOT

Dern
09-09-2002, 11:43 PM
i think i will try that then. it's worth a try!

Thordic
09-09-2002, 11:58 PM
I usually applied the RainX twice a day, once in the AM and once at lunch, just to make sure.