PDA

View Full Version : What's a good drop for a Z Grip?

Damage
09-09-2002, 02:34 AM
I just bought a Brand new Z Frame (In Transit) for my 'mag and I was wondering if I could get some experianced opinions on a good drop forward to use and keep it well balanced. I run a 47, 88, 114 but I use the 88 most. I like to keep them kind of tucked and farily tight. Thanks guys for any help...

Here is what I got to work with (pre Z Grip)(Ignore the Macro and Co2, I was in testing :rolleyes: ,lol )

http://members.aol.com/steviefx1/images/newmag9602.3.jpg

bornl33t
09-09-2002, 04:38 AM
I got a hold of a drop called a dyna-mount or something like that... I got a pics hold on..

http://www.geocities.com/heat_the_paintball_genie/dynamount.html

I think the pics are selfexplanatory... why it's great? Cause it swings... with a z you want the tank offset so you can clearance with your arm. Because you're arm goes straight down.. ya know? the great think it.. that poking outa bunker on hte left side easier too now... :D

The piece is half aluminum and half composite. So it's pretty light too..

I may be willing to part with mine... but it would have to be a good offer ... since i have no clue if these are even availible anymore...VL used to make them .. then some other place started making them for VL and the VL name isn't on them anymore...

That's EVERYTHING I know about it... or you could use a DZ2 modified ... like such

http://www.geocities.com/mnemonyc/ideas.html

i know it's not a z on there... it would follow about 3 months after that mod...and it was the cool est drop!!

boomerfoxtrot
09-09-2002, 10:23 AM
I use the CP Flame drop foward...

work great..

Smokee_2_7
09-09-2002, 11:38 AM
just my opinion, but i found that a smaller drop is better with the z-grip. This is primairly due to the fact that the grip itself moves the tank so far forward in the first place. I noticed that a larger drop (i.e. one of my cp flame drops) placed the bulk of the tank right where my wrist had to go while holding the gun at a shooting position. Probably the best thing to do would be to get an adjustable drop like the dynamount. Unfortunately, i dont have one- - - so i went with what i found to be the most comfortable. A cp micro drop. It moves the tank down and slightly forward, and still gives me a very comfortable shooting platform. here's a pic of it on my gun:

boomerfoxtrot
09-09-2002, 12:02 PM
I think another good question with the Z grip... is what do you do with your Macro line? I run my over the top, so the line is on the left side of my gun, I'm right handed... I haven't found a "great" way to do it yet..

Smokee_2_7
09-09-2002, 12:10 PM
you can see in my pic above that i ran the macro line from the right side of the valve to the left side of the tank. this arrangement, provided that the hose is long enough, allows for ambidexterous shooting. I used swivel 90 degree elbows on both connections. The line kinda passes through the area where my wrist/ arm is not at when the gun is pulled up to shoot. I find it very comfortable, and it hardly ever touches my hand while holding the gun.

Another option is running the hose through the grip itself. I have not tried this with macro line, but i did it successfully with microline a couple years ago. here's how that one looked: the hose was only visible from the top of the grip panel on the right hand side to the valve, and from the bottom of the grip panel to the tank. Totally out of the way. only problem was that it was microline. you should be able to do it with macro, but it would involve more milling of the grip frame, and the grip panel. here it is on a z-grip:

Smokee_2_7
09-09-2002, 12:11 PM
and again on a 'normal' frame ( in this case a benchmark )

AutoMaggot
09-09-2002, 01:02 PM
Just use a Duckbill ASA... Drops are laaaaaaame.

boomerfoxtrot
09-09-2002, 01:57 PM
I could also get a forgrip extender and use a gas thru...

I'll play with it, see what I come up with..

*ArKfEaR*
09-09-2002, 04:05 PM
good call.

My favorite drops are eather the custom products micro drop or the shocktech micro drops. They are by far the best ones..

Smokee_2_7
09-09-2002, 05:12 PM
Automaggot,

i wouldnt mind using a duckbill asa, except for that im runnin a flatline system- - - no screw in.

boomerfoxtrot,

yeah, id say that the gas thru grip would be the way to go. unfortunately, the foregrip i have on that one is an old REALLLY comfy VL grip. . . and its not gas thru. Problem is that i love the grip so much i wont replace it with a *** thru.

Damage
09-09-2002, 06:24 PM
The Z grip still has not showed...I wait on the mail truck like a lost dog, LOL So I have been swapping parts around. This is my first 'mag and I started on it two weeks ago as a box of parts.. I now hooked it up with this black magic reg I have opened all the way up to use as an exspensive Gas thru. And added a Kapp VA and Kapp Panels and a Shorter SS barrel today. I am curious if the Z grip uses the standard .45 Panels so I can use these Kapp grips on it? and does any one have experiance with the ANS body rail, Will a Kapp fore grip extender fit on it? Also I like the suggestions for running the Macro thru the grips and and the short drop ideas (I like the CP micro drop and the Dyna mount is very cool) And since this is my first foray into 'mags does it look like I'm headed on the right track with this gun? thanks for the input everyone...Level 10 and ReTro next week...

http://members.aol.com/steviefx1/images/mymagpicts9902.3sweet.jpg

AutoMaggot
09-09-2002, 07:00 PM
Just find your self a rail attachment... you'll frikkin love being able to really shoulder your mag.

dnm5d
09-09-2002, 07:09 PM
I found that no drop and an angled ASA on the Z is perfect with a 90/4500 tank. Placing a drop only puts the rear of the marker too close to my mask, and doesn't allow me to tuck in my elbow as tight as I would like it since the tank would be in the way.

paintbattler
09-09-2002, 07:58 PM
i use the benchy w/ on/off

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=384449

Smokee_2_7
09-09-2002, 08:48 PM
Damage,

I think youre definatly on the right track. One thing that I commend you on - -- gutting the black magic reg. another reg wont do squat for ya. (popular misconception) Keep it bypassed. lol, it sure is a pretty (although epxensive) gas thru grip.

Ans rail. . if ya look closely at the pic of my zgrip mag, i have the same rail. yes, the KAPP extender will fit fine, of course .. . thats after you mill out part of the extender to accomidate the zgrip. just about 15 minutes of going slow with a dremel and your set.

I think the holes for the zgrip panels are the same as a regular 45 (NOT sure, though.) however, the amount of grip that the panels cover is different. you may not like the other ones better than the stock. If your looking for something flashy to go there, PM Load sm5. he did the ones for my zgrip (clear w/ chrome flames inside) and they are great!

With macroline, id probably reccomend that you stay away from cutting the zgrip up to try to feed the line through the grip. using a gas thru grip should definitly work just as good, and will be a whole lot eaiser.

Your gun's looking good!! cant wait to see the pics with the zgrip on it!

Carl

Damage
09-09-2002, 10:49 PM
Thank you, That means alot coming from someone that has a gun that looks as good as yours (Its been my desktop since I saw it in another thread!) You guys are being a whole lot of help and I appreciate it alot. Im liking building the 'mag because the Performance is there and one can concentrate on aesthetics, Much like building a Muscle car (Although there can always be a FEW performance mods to be done, Just for fun...lol)

Next question, Where can I find an angled ASA? (In Chrome?or no..)as was suggested by "dnm5d"?

I also like that Benchmark Drop, is there a good site to find that?

Thanks again guys...

*edit* Oh and one more thing, Who makes that Short rail extender like on paintbattler's gun?

bornl33t
09-10-2002, 12:01 AM
I think it's custom or made by KAPP..

Smokee_2_7
09-10-2002, 09:55 AM
Damage,

Angled ASA's were made by dingo paintball ( think. . i dont have the URL handy. . )

The short extender in paintbattler's gun looks like a custom job. the only one's on the market im aware of are the KAPP ones. I like his too. .I feel that the kapp moves it too far forward for my tastes.

with the addition of a retrovalve and LV 10, your gonna be reallly rockin.

One thing i might suggest. .. when you put the retrovalve kit in, pay close attention to the feel of the trigger. If its not as 'bouncy' or light as you want it, you might look into sending it up to agd to have them adjust some stuff to compensate for the tolorances in that specific gun. (may result in a slightly shorter on/ off pin) however. . defintily send it to them for that one.lol. I had an extra on/ off pin, so i tried to do it myself. . . it started out great- - AWESOME pull and reactivity. . then somthing went wrong. So, both my retromags are up there right now having that done.

Carl

johnny dee
09-10-2002, 05:53 PM
I DONT KNWO IF IT WILL BE NESSICARLY GOOD ON A Z GRIP BUT I REMEMBER YOU SAYIGN SOMETHIGN ABOUT YOU LIKEING YOUR TANDK FOWARD AND TUCKED AWAY, I LIKE THAT TOO AND THE BEST DROP FOWARD FOR THAT I THINK IS THE PSYCHOBALLISTICS DROPFOWARD. ITS A GOOD 2 IN DOWN AND 6 INCHES FOWARD SO IT SETS IT REALLY NICE I THINK I DONT KNOW HOW THAT WOULD FEEL ON A Z- GRIP THO...MAYBE THIS WILL HELP SEE YA

Smokee_2_7
09-10-2002, 06:10 PM
johnny dee ,

Ill be the first to ask ya to please not type in all caps. (trust me, others will not be as nice. .lol) Its actually considered rude online - - - it's like your yelling.

Pyschoballistics Drops. . . hmmmm

I sell a pretty good bit of these. Yes, they're inexpensive, and yes, the do drop your tank into next week. They are very popular with Some of the younger players at my field- - probably due to the price (pretty low in comparison to other drops of comperable size). Without getting into the inner details on these drops, I would strongly suggest that you install and test one of these on your zgrip BEFORE you pay anything for it. Main reason is that with a normal sized tank, on a zgrip. . the pyschoballistics drop will move your tank SOO far forward that you will be eating the back of your valve. It will also make the gun Realllly front heavy, too. However, its all personal preference, but thats one that I'd definitly say try it before you buy it.

magman007
09-10-2002, 06:33 PM
hmmm well avoid dingo at all costs, as wekk, he has quit shop, and screwed a good number of aoers.

Pm tysonmachado here on ao, he will set you up nice

09-10-2002, 06:35 PM
kapp stubby dz2 is the best short drop out there :)

Damage
09-10-2002, 08:47 PM
Rather than but the PB drop I can test the feel buy using the X drop I have on there now Its 2" down and 7" forward and Im almost certain that will be WAY to far forward The drop zone 2 is a good choice too. I saw a thread I think it was "Z Mag, Z Grip, Z Sweet" and he had a cool little drop on there.....Let me see if I can find it...

Damage
09-10-2002, 08:50 PM
Here it is:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45967&highlight=Z+mag+Z+Grip+Z+Sweet

magman007
09-10-2002, 08:54 PM
thats a nice little dye drop on there, i reccomend looking into the planet drops if you like that, they have almost the same ones, and there really nice

Damage
09-10-2002, 11:45 PM
Website please...Ive never heard of them. Thanks for your help.