PDA

View Full Version : Powertube and reg to air bottle loctite query

Gadget
09-09-2002, 04:13 AM
Couple of things I could use some advice on (apologies for the essay below :))

1. My Mag started leaking down the barrel, so I went to change the power-tube tip o-ring, only to find I had to some odd after-market powertube tip, with no slot in it, which I must have fitted years ago (and forgotten about).

It must have done it up really tight as there was no way it was coming off without getting damaged. As I still had the original AGD powertube tip, I wasn't too worried about damaging this one, so I got a pair of pliers on it and applied loads of force......and managed to unscrew the whole powertube from the end of the valve (this is a level 7 valve). Oops!

Managed to get the powertube tip off eventually, but wasn't sure about how best to re-fit the powertube (which has a red gasket and seemed to be fitted with some kind of loctite/sealant). I ended up just cleaning all the old dried gunk out of the threads, applying some blue loctite and screwing it back in - tightening with some cloth wrapped pliers - should that be ok, or do I need to use a stronger sealant?

2. I'm taking my 68cu in 3000 psi air tank in to be hydro tested. I've got an air america reg which screws directly into the bottle. I managed to removed the reg by clamping it in a vice and twisting the bottle by hand (took a fair bit of force, but wasn't really difficult). Once the bottle has been tested, how should I go about re-fitting the reg? Blue loctite and a fair bit of muscle power? Or should I use a different sealant and a specific amount of torque?

Any advice appreciated!

PyRo
09-09-2002, 06:03 AM
For your tank they use loctite 545, which isn't a thread locker, but a phnumatic thread sealent. Using red loctite on it will ensure that next time your tank needs to be hydrod the threads will be destroyed in the process. Blue might work. I think it is somthing like 80lbs of tourque, but i'm not sure.

BlackVCG
09-09-2002, 12:46 PM
You should have used red loctite on the PT tip, but blue should be okay. If you have a problem with it unscrewing again, clean out the old loctite from the threads and apply red 271.

As for the tank reg, I'd just have the hydrostat place put the reg. back on. If they do paintball stuff, they'll know the proper torque and have the correct sealant to use. If you have to do it on your own, use loctite 545 or 592.