View Full Version : ACI Bulldog tanks..

spazzed
09-09-2002, 11:12 PM
Spill the beans. Good, bad, ugly? What?

Please.

Jerhew
09-09-2002, 11:24 PM
they aren't bad if you pick one up for cheap
the older regulaters we're kinda flow limiting(shootdown during rapid fire/full auto)
but I picked up an upgrade kit(installed it myself)
it was fine after that(if you're buying a newer one I'm sure thats not even a concern...my tank is 3 years old)

the consistancy isn't bad but can be better and they are probably one of the least heavy regs...
once again i don't know how the new bulldogs are...I'm sure the same if not better

Smokee_2_7
09-10-2002, 10:15 AM
I personally owned one of the older ones. Seemed to work ok, for about a year and a half. . .then, it broke. Not just 'need to rebuild the regulator' broke, (tried that one 3 times) but, 'had to send it in' broke.{this means that everytime tank pressure hit 15K, the Low end burst disk blew, as well as the output gauge. The regulator wasnt regulating. }

now, here's the pain.
The reg/tank was about a year and a half old. I call ACI, and they tell me basiclly that they dont service their own products, and there is no warranty that covers this. They then politely give me the number of some paintball shop that "handels our repairs for us". I call these guys. I send it it. Come to find out, the problem was that some peice of metal in the regulator had developed a microscopic crack, and had to be replaced. No warranty. . must be paid out of pocket. . . Cost to me? About 70 bux. The guy then tells me that it was probably just a bad peice, and that this thing should never happen agian. "Ok" i say, and i pay up.

Less than a year later, SAME symptoms develop. I refused to pay up another 70 bux again, to have the same thing fixed for the second time on a tank that was bought new, and cared for very well (alwyas used a dust cap, always followed manual for care, ect.) AND was still so 'new ' that it hadnt' had to be hydro'd yet!

So, I sold it to someone for 50 bux, and told them that they would have to send it in to be fixed, and how much it would cost.

Now, fast forward to recently. . . with the NEW aci tanks.

My shop carries them. Well, CARRIED them, to be precise. . . we will not anymore. Brand new 47ci, 3k.. . . low end burst disk blows, and gauge blows out. This happened on 2 or 3 seperate tanks. Aci helped the shop out by replacing them, however, we STILL have a brand new one sitting in the shop,(broken) awaiting directions from ACI to send it back.

In conclusion, I would strongly NOT suggest the ACI tanks. If your looking for a tank in that price range, Check out the PMI's. .. had nothing but good things from them. Thats what we will be carrying for all our screw- in nitro needs from now on.

Hope this helps,

Carl

spazzed
09-10-2002, 04:27 PM
Well, I'm gonna avoid them like the plague. Thanks. :eek:

dawump
09-10-2002, 04:55 PM
I have no complaints.

I have a newer one and bought it because that just happened to be what someone on ebay was selling cheap almost continuously.

From what I have gathered from pbreview.com the newer ones have a better reg, although some people have had problems with burst disks. I havn't but make sure that I have a spare with me.

$180 for a 4500 66cc tank is a pretty good deal.

Keith

Reo5th
09-10-2002, 09:07 PM
They are great tanks. I also got mine off of eBay (but i got mine for 150 shipped:D) Its the new model and it works really well. 68/4500

Jerhew
09-10-2002, 11:06 PM
if you have any reservations about buying an aci tank
then my next choice would either be a pure energy or...
go to professionalpaintball.com and buy one of their freeflow tanks...
they're cheap as dirt...but guess who makes 'em...
nitro duck!
...it's stamped right on the reg
i got a 68/4500 for only $200 brand new and they're toughskin so they don't have to be hydro'd for 5 years!

Infection5
05-28-2003, 09:51 PM
I had the exact opposite experiances. I had nothing but trouble with my pmi tank, and had no problems with my aci one.

madmatt151
05-29-2003, 07:59 AM
I just bought an ACI tank from Bambulance Man here and it has worked great so far. No problems and the flow at 800 psi wors better than my old 32 degrees pos at 900 psi. It is very light weight and feels well built. I believe it is the newer reg so maybe that is the problem you guys are having, old reg.

fanera17
05-29-2003, 08:07 AM
I have the old one and it worked fine for me..I have this tank for almost 3 years and didn't had any problem with it..but the last time I filled it up it started to leak but it wasn't a big deal because it was only an o-ring.

JAM
05-29-2003, 08:27 AM
I've got a bulldog and it works great, no problems at all.

I also own a crossfire which works very well, and I used to own a PMI that had no problems... basically I guess I've had good luck with nitro tanks.

Jerhew
05-29-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by fanera17
I have the old one and it worked fine for me..I have this tank for almost 3 years and didn't had any problem with it..but the last time I filled it up it started to leak but it wasn't a big deal because it was only an o-ring.

well the poor flow is difficult to notice unless you have a gun that's full auto
my friend had one on a cocker for years and never noticed a problem
but on my at-85(very sensitive to pressure fluctuations) it was very apparent that the flow sucked

TequilaMockingbird
05-30-2003, 12:19 AM
I've got a pretty new ACI 68/4500, had to rebuild the reg once after a couple of months of limited use, but it works fine now. Doesn't seem to have any shootdown trouble on my E-Mag.

Only thing I didn't like about my Crossfire 68/3k was the cheap plastic gauge. I run a short drop on my guns, and the gauge stuck out so far it'd bump into the gripframe when screwing in the tank. Replaced it with a metal gauge that didn't stick out so far, works great.

Carbon Blue
05-30-2003, 01:52 AM
I have the new ACI Bulldog 2 with the chrome regulator not red and it works great on my mag! Flows really consistent

Teen
05-30-2003, 05:59 AM
i have an older one and it sucks. The only reason it doesn't suck is because it only cost me 100 dollars for an adjustable tank, i never saw an adjustable tank that cheap before. it always acts up and has shootdown.

rkjunior303
05-30-2003, 08:30 AM
I have an OEM ACI Bulldog 68/3k.... The *gasp* Brass Eagle one.. It's older, the Hyrdo is up this august but I've never had a problem with it. I've always shot CO2 and I haven't been out very much since I've gotten it (and my mag) so i haven't had problems with it.. I find I only get maybe 2 games out of it (maybe 1000 shots?) but other than that, i'm not throwing enough paint to notice shootdown. If I upgrade to an X-Valve or a emag i will probably get a new tank...

Jerhew
05-30-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Teen
i have an older one and it sucks. The only reason it doesn't suck is because it only cost me 100 dollars for an adjustable tank, i never saw an adjustable tank that cheap before. it always acts up and has shootdown.

all you have to do is find the number to call them, tell them you have an older reg and the flow sucks
they send you a rebuild kit for like $10-$15(can't remember exactly)
my tank's flow went from absolute crap to excellent with a relatively simple part swap(the original on/off pin sucks)
it's not the most consistant tank out there but it gets the job done

Catch22
06-01-2003, 12:55 PM
crossfire or PE