PDA

View Full Version : emo/punk

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
09-11-2002, 04:55 PM
Who listens to punk or emo

I love them both..with a passion...My 2 favorite bands right now are The Starting Line and Brand New

magman007
09-12-2002, 01:17 PM
i listen to em both,

JEDI
09-12-2002, 02:46 PM
Punk rules! I cant stand emo! ECH@#!!! Its too whiney for me. Allow me to rant without offending any one. What mood do you have to be in when you listen to it. It depresses me.
Good wailing! punk gets me psyched. I love hard chords. Bad religion, Pennywise, Face to Face.

sk8dood
09-12-2002, 03:23 PM
i like emo, but i guess the emo i like isnt really true emo. check out noise ratchet, juliana theory, or antifany. good emo bands.

SlipknotX556
09-12-2002, 04:21 PM
The starting line is such a cool band. :D

EsPo
09-12-2002, 05:19 PM
jedi- the idea of emo is to make you feel depressed, or at least thats what it seems like. its like music for when your girl just dumped you, or someone died.

i loooooove punk, im just getting into emo and i like it alot. best mainstream punk band ever= NOFX. i love nofx ive seen them 3 times, and all 3 times they were awesome. i also love the misfits... she, hybrid moment and such. i also just saw the suicide machines, that was realllly cool.

ska is also up there on my fav. music list. reel big fish, my fav. rbf song is everything sucks. catch 22(trust me, awesome ska band, download them)my fav song of theirs is on&on&on. and the aquabats.

any1 like hardcore.

Dave
09-12-2002, 06:44 PM
yeah, punk is great. I am a supportor of the underground punk bands...The Underdog Conspiracy, Officer Negative, Three For Flinching, Skratchline, SaGoh. My favorite band is Dogwood!!!!!

-Dave

land hurricane
09-12-2002, 07:06 PM
I like a lot of punk bands like: The dwarves, millencolin, nofx, i against i, and pennywise. I dont really like emo the only band that i like that is considered "emo" is dashboard confessional.

sk8dood
09-12-2002, 07:58 PM
ya dashboard is awesome, i heard them for the first time last night.

MiniMag66
09-12-2002, 08:14 PM
I cant stand emo! I stopped considering it punk a long time ago, emo falls in line with blink 182 and sum 41...that bad.

Flamebo
09-12-2002, 08:30 PM
I'd like to stress the huge difference between punk and emo -- or better yet the complete lack of similarity. Mainstream punk sucks as well, save of course The Sex Pistols, DK and The Misfits. Yeah, the Ramones were groundbreaking in a way, but as a band they pretty much sucked. Hundreds of songs and they all sound the same, and that's not being vague, that's listening to the chords.

Dave, I listen to a lot of underground punk bands, but I admit I've never heard of *any* of those bands. Are they locals in your area or something?

CenterFire
09-12-2002, 08:33 PM
I like Poison The Well, but I'd say that's more metalcore

dropkick1
09-12-2002, 08:50 PM
mostly punk, but i've been getting into harder emo bands like taking back sunday, brand new, and midtwon. but my favorite bands are obviously the dropkick murphys, bouncing souls, and flogging molly.

good charolette sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ken

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
09-12-2002, 09:53 PM
I know there is a big difference...But I was saying Punk and Emo...

Heres a bunch of the bands I listen to...

thrice
midtown
the get up kids
fenix tx
good charlotte
alkaline trio
new found glory
taking back sunday
brand new
the starting line
mest
the hives
bowling for soup
goldfinger
rufio
trust company
sugar cult
riddlin kids
americain hi-fi
ben kweller
incubus
dashboard confessional
hoobastank
jimmy eat world
saves the day

EDIT I MIGHT GO TO THE TAKING BACK SUNDAY + MIDTOWN CONERT!!!! YAY!!! Its like 10 bucks to get in.

MajorDamage
09-13-2002, 12:47 AM
I <B>LOVE</B> Punk, and I like Emo ok too. Dave, Dogwood and Officer Negative are really good :)! I am also into skacore, hardcore, and diffrent kinds of metal. My fav bands are MxPx, Disciple, Five Iron Frenzy, Calibretto 13, The Huntingtons, The Crucified, The Cooties, Officer Negative, Dogwood, Slick Shoes, Value Pac, Blenderhead, Zao, Ace Troubleshooter, Relient K, Evergreen Terrace, Hangnail, Off The Record, Smiley Kids, Noggin Toboggan, Philmore, One Bad Pig, Brave Saint Saturn, Crux, 90 Pound Wuss, The Undecided, Living Sacrifice, The Juliana Theory, Too Bad Eugene, Stretch Arm Strong, Watashi Wa, Blaster The Rocket Boy, The Inklings, Demon Hunter, and Downside Up. Thats about all the bands I can think of right this second, I know in like two minutes I'll think of like 10 others that are like close to my favorite band or something lol. But Long Live Christian Punk/Emo/Skacore/Hardcore/Metal! :D!

ENDO!

JEDI
09-13-2002, 07:30 AM
EsPo hardcore is good stuff. It depends on who it is. Hatebreed. Sure threy're mainstream, but they're the best! Blood for blood? Like em? Good stuff. Dillanger escape plan. Hardcore rules.

sk8dood
09-13-2002, 09:36 AM
MajorDamage- I saw most of those bands this summer at a festival up in Illinois called Cornerstone. It was awesome. I am friends with the guys from Philmore, infact Im going to their show tonight.

EsPo
09-13-2002, 12:51 PM
yayyyy i looooove poison the well, i would discribe it as almost emocore. if you like poison the well get from autumn to ashes, they are like the same thing but more hardcore and softer at the same time.

Even though hatebreed is mainstreem i still like em, just not there new cd. i was at the show where they made the vid. jamie was like"this song is for a video on mtv so go crazy" and like 75% of the people went to the back. i would pic dillenger escape plan over hatebreed anyday. so if u like hardcore get the hope conspiracy.

magman007
09-13-2002, 01:23 PM
IM dissapointed, no one has listed one of the greatest punk bands of all time? fugazi? fugazi totally kicks, they still stand for what they beleive in, use their own record label (dischord) and so on. there really freekin cool guys too, but their lead singer smells because showering too often supports the corporate bastards at the water facilities. I think thats a bit over the top, but its cool, and i salute him. If you guys want a really god fugazi song, go look for MArgin Walker, Waiting Room, and stuff. just search kazza

As for emo, i like dashboard, Saves The day, Weezer(not really emo, but pinkerton is) I also like jimmy eat world, Reggie and the full effect, and a bunch o others

for punk its Fugazi, pennywise, No Fx, Bad religion, Greenday, Drop Kick (saw em live, that was cool) bouncing souls, missfits and so on

i aslo occasionally listen to cherry poppin daddies, a little swing in the mix never hurt

EsPo
09-13-2002, 01:34 PM
fat mike(NOFX singer/bassist) also has his own record company, fat wreckchords, and im sure they operate under that. one of the dudes from dashboard is from my town, shelton CT, but im not sure which one, i think its the basist.
any1 listen to the dead kennedys, or does any1 listen to jello biafra talk. dead kennedys are awesome, get "nazi punks" by them on kazaa, its awesome.

RetroEclipseMan
09-13-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by magman007
IM dissapointed, no one has listed one of the greatest punk bands of all time? fugazi? fugazi totally kicks, they still stand for what they beleive in, use their own record label (dischord) and so on. there really freekin cool guys too, but their lead singer smells because showering too often supports the corporate bastards at the water facilities. I think thats a bit over the top, but its cool, and i salute him. If you guys want a really god fugazi song, go look for MArgin Walker, Waiting Room, and stuff. just search kazza

That's what I'm talking about!!!Fugazi is by far one of my favorite punk bands,in fact I'm listening to them right now.The line between emo and punk is starting to blur so much with newer bands that I can't say that I totally hate emo cause one of my favorite new and upcoming bands The Catheter are considered emo by many even though they have a really fast and upbeat sound.

Here's a list of the bands I listen to the most:

Fugazi
Minor Threat
Bad Religion
The Catheters
Murder City Devils + Dead Low Tide
Pretty Girls Make Graves
The Misfits
The Vandals
Thrice
Seatown Manglers
The Velvet Underground

bornl33t
09-13-2002, 04:42 PM
I listen to both, but I don't like emo a whole lot.. it messes with your head, make you feel loanely and stuff. Just in general, it brings out emotions... thus the name EMO.. and I don't need something priming emotions.. I have a hard enough time dealing with them the way it is...

Muzikman
09-13-2002, 05:13 PM
Hmm...juliana theory, That is one band that finally made it out of Pittsburgh.

As for punk, I have not listened to it all that mush these days. Back in JR and HS I was a real Punk / Metal Head. But, right now, there is a band out of Cincinnati called Deceiving Ralph. They are a great band. Check them out

http://deceiving.ralph.org

As for Fugazi. Great band, use to listen to them all though high school, but I think the last album I bought from them was "In on the Kill Take".

magman007
09-13-2002, 07:06 PM
the new one is really good, its called argument

ps coffey sugar cult is awesome

Python14
09-13-2002, 07:26 PM
I like

Evergreen Terrace, ZAO, July Rocket, -[minus]-

paintbattler
09-13-2002, 09:23 PM
i dont listen to either..anyone who listens to that stuff is weird :D nah just playin..well i listen to more '2000's' stuff.

MajorDamage
09-14-2002, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by sk8dood
MajorDamage- I saw most of those bands this summer at a festival up in Illinois called Cornerstone. It was awesome. I am friends with the guys from Philmore, infact Im going to their show tonight.
Lucky! Cornerstone is the bestest! I sooooooooooooooo wanted to go! I met Kayle from Philmore a couple months ago at one of their shows. He signed a poster for me and I caught the two picks he threw from the stage :). He's a really cool guy :). Gonna see them again next month

ENDO!

Dave
09-14-2002, 11:47 AM
Yes, I forgot to mention many bands that MajorDamage picked back up...

Coffey it's cool you listen to Thrice...they are one of the more talented bands out there today...

So, all in all, here is what I listen to, as far as punk goes...

Old School:

Officer Negative, One 21, Headnoise, Lugnut, Underdog Conspiracy, Crashdog(rip), Ninety Pound Wuss, Anchor, Diehard Youth. Haven't really heard much of them yet, but check out the Discarded.

New School and other punk:

Thrice, Dogwood, Smiley Kids, SaGoh, Three For Flinching, Slick Shoes, The Undecided, Skratchline, Donkey's Jawbone, Logos(rip), One Foot Forward, Sick of Change, Shop 11 Phoenix, 7-10 Split, Craig's Brother, Strawzeus.

The only really local band around my area is Strawzeus.

This is punk...now if we get a hardcore thread going, hehe, I'll be haveing to post there as well...HXC!!!!!!!!!!

-Dave

land hurricane
09-14-2002, 02:15 PM
ahhh i forgot to mention union 13 those guys are really cool.

MajorDamage
09-14-2002, 05:51 PM
Yup Dave, I forgot Lugnut :), oh and how could I forget Ghoti Hook's old stuff! Some of the BEST punk!

ENDO!