PDA

View Full Version : Stripping Main Body Coating?

dnm5d
09-11-2002, 06:15 PM
I would like to polish my main body and rail...how would I go about doing this other than working the grit up with sandpaper?

I have heard lye strips ano off aluminum--has anyone checked if lye also strips the coating off stainless?

Any other way to go about this

rjvemt1
09-11-2002, 06:27 PM
a long time ago i used easy-off oven cleaner to de-ano a bushmaster. you could give that a try, its realativily cheap. and then theres always the dremmel.

PyRo
09-11-2002, 06:59 PM
The bodies arn't coated, they are sand/bead blasted I believe which is what gives them that grey look.

GPZ1170
09-11-2002, 08:32 PM
Red Devil drain cleaner. It works really good following the mixing instructions DONT use hot water when mixing it. It will strip the annodizing off in about 1/2 hour. Also make sure to move the part around every 5 min or so.Watch the part close near the end of the process.

dnm5d
09-11-2002, 08:45 PM
I guess I should have said it's a stock RTPRO black body, which I believe is powdercoated, though I could be wrong.
The methods posted so far seem like they are only for stripping away ano from aluminum.
What I really wanted to know is: do they work with stainless bodies that have been blasted/coated?

PyRo
09-11-2002, 10:00 PM
Ok, the black bodies I believe are painted with a teflon paint. Mine was about 10 years old, and already peeling. I just put some paint stripper on it, and it scraped right off.
I don't think that paint stripper is going to be strong enough for what you want to do though. Bead blasting would probably be a good way to strip it. This shouldn't wear off the paint.

PyRo
09-11-2002, 10:01 PM
Opps, I ment that should strip the paint, and not wear away at the metal, as sand blasting might. Anyone disagree?

joeyjoe367
09-12-2002, 02:12 AM
What might be easier would be to find someone who wants to trade parts with you.

Check out the classified forums. I'm sure you'll be able to find Something.

FactsOfLife
09-12-2002, 10:45 AM
or somebody who polishes mags....:cool:

GPZ1170
09-12-2002, 12:18 PM
Well i have done some bead blasting designs in the past (see photo) and with extra fine silica sand it does leave a texture on the metal. But an automag body rail is so small it would take little to no time at all to get a real good shine on it. After i blast a design into a gun i use mothers metal cream, it eats away at the aluminum a little at a time and makes it shine. The more you use it the better it gets. If you blast the whole rail you could sand it with 180/240/320/600/1500 grit sandpaper then get a buffing wheel for a hand drill to make it shine. It's easy just takes awhile to make it look good. Also remember a polished surface will tarnish when paint gets on it so it will need to be cleaned all the time.

upjeeper
10-23-2002, 02:36 PM
I'm about to order mag, and I'd like to anodize it
but I've heard some mags are stainless some are aluminum
which is which? I can tell the difference when I'm actually looking at it, but I'd like to know ahead of time

nater

Nobody077
10-24-2002, 12:45 AM
I belive only the new C&C mags and the Micromags are Aluminum(I may be wrong). I'm shure the clasics and minimags are stainless. As for stripping the black body a thick coat of good paintstripper and sitting over night in a plastic bag would probaly work. The plastic bag is to keep the paintstiper from drying out making it easy to take off.

SkElL~ObIsSiS
10-24-2002, 11:54 AM
I stripped mine with a piece of scotch bright while holding it uder the kitchen faucet(make sure the scotch bright is wet aslo) after that i buffed it with mothers mag polish and a piece of terry cloth. Then I took it to buffing wheel, no harsh abraisives just some elbow grease..... it lookes like a mirror now... before you buff it on the wheel you might want to use cheese cloth

scotch bright

http://www.apachechemical.com/38/8319.htm?99

BajaBoy
10-24-2002, 02:26 PM
make sure after u get the black off, that u take some metal off to bc when they heated it when powdercoating it really discolores the metal. If u think u got it all the way off and the bad metal just take a file to the underneath and sctarch it. If the scratch is brighter then u need to keep taking off metal to get the look of the pollished/crome/nickle bodys that u see all the time