PDA

View Full Version : My truck's window got smashed

vf-xx
09-14-2002, 10:17 AM
Some freaking drunk, probably a frat, thought it'd be funny to throw a beer bottle through the back window of my truck!!!

ARRRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!!! *masive amounts of explitives deleted*

Waiting for the cops to show up. Arrgg!!!

paintbattler
09-14-2002, 10:57 AM
man, that sux..im sorry..hope u catch the man/women who did that

vf-xx
09-14-2002, 11:11 AM
unfortunately there's not much I can do. I filed a report with the local PD, but there's no evidence that can link this to any specific person. Grrr.

shartley
09-14-2002, 03:40 PM
Insurance? I sure hope so…..

I feel your anger, but if you had to choose a window to be broke, the back is not a bad choice… much better than your front.

But again.... let me share a moment of anger with you.... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

magman007
09-14-2002, 03:44 PM
they cant take any prints off the bottle? or did it smash uppon impact?

shartley
09-14-2002, 03:59 PM
Prints only help if the person leaving them is already in the database, OR if you have a good idea who committed the crime in the first place and only need the prints for verification. Most of the time however, the ones committing this type of crime are not in the database, nor is a suitable suspect at hand. Thus Police Departments have to make a determination as to whether they want to spend the time taking the prints and trying to match them or not… most of the time for this type of thing, it will not readily identify the person who threw it… unfortunately. If it was a more serious crime, or if they had a good idea who it was, taking prints would be worthwhile…… Such is the unfortunate way of things… And trust me, Police don’t like it either.

alkafluence
09-14-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by vf-xx
Some freaking drunk, probably a frat, thought it'd be funny to throw a beer bottle through the back window of my truck!!!

Why do you automatically assume it's a fraternity?

Is what you're doing really any different than when cops racially profile people to pull over for tickets?

Muy curioso?

TransMan
09-14-2002, 04:35 PM
Maybe he has had this sort of problem with frats before and no its not the same.

shartley
09-14-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by alkafluence
Is what you're doing really any different than when cops racially profile people to pull over for tickets?

Don’t believe all the HYPE you hear on the news about that. ;)

Profiling is a valuable tool, and almost all of us use a form of it every day. If something does not look right, chances are it is not. If something looks out of place, chances are it is. And the list goes on and on. Also I have seen “reported” numbers that made things look one way, until you know the facts and see that it is not even close to. I would seriously advise anyone seeing numbers and percentages as “proof” of something to look a bit deeper.

(Following example is an approximation and good example of what actually happened, but the numbers are not valid.. but again, a good approximation.)

EXAMPLE: Several years ago, the media reported that Blacks were being unjustly targeted for Traffic Stops on the East Coast from City X to City Y. The percentage of Blacks pulled over was 27%, while the national average for Blacks (population) was only 18%. This clearly showed that an undue percentage of the people being stopped were Black and thus it was obvious that they were being targeted.

Well…. the facts of the situation was, that Blacks made up 68% of the population in the area being discussed. This fact was not (of course) reported. If it HAD been, it would have shown that for the population of that exact area, since 68% was Black and only 18% of those pulled over WERE Black, OTHER races were actually being pulled over at much higher percentages than the Black population was. Hmmmm kind of makes you think, doesn’t it?

And this happens ALL the time. What is the PC flavor of the day is what is being reported, even if it is not true. And it is easy to find numbers to “prove” whatever you want to prove.

Remember the increase in shark attacks this last year? And now it is being admitted that the number of attacks actually went DOWN but the reporting of them went UP. LOL

And keep in mind that “racial profiling” is not needed to pull over anyone, to include Blacks. Almost any driver can bring upon themselves half a dozen valid reasons for probable cause for a traffic stop. It is not hard to find probable cause… trust me on that as well. ;)

I could go on for days about this, but I think you get the point. Don’t believe everything you read or hear as being “the truth”. The truth is often what people want it to be at the time… but not always the “whole truth”. :D

Havoc_online
09-14-2002, 05:03 PM
at least they didnt steal anything....

I had my window broken a few months ago and got a few thousand dollars worth of gear stolen(the night before I was taking everything to storage)...bad timing..

My humble advice is to not fix the window with insurance, your insurance will go up a tad and you will end up paying more for the window in the long run, I just paid to have the window fixed myself and didnt tell the insurance company. that way, your insurance company doesnt see you as a high risk...

I'd only use my insurance if it were considerable damage to my truck.

shartley
09-14-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Havoc_online
at least they didnt steal anything....

I had my window broken a few months ago and got a few thousand dollars worth of gear stolen(the night before I was taking everything to storage)...bad timing..

My humble advice is to not fix the window with insurance, your insurance will go up a tad and you will end up paying more for the window in the long run, I just paid to have the window fixed myself and didnt tell the insurance company. that way, your insurance company doesnt see you as a high risk...

I'd only use my insurance if it were considerable damage to my truck.
Very true… and chances are your deductible will be about as much as replacing the window anyways. Best to use the Insurance only if you really need to. I had not thought about that…..

vf-xx
09-14-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by alkafluence

Why do you automatically assume it's a fraternity?

Muy curioso?

I live around 6 ish frat houses. I can see one from my doorway. Thursday night there were two cops outside their house, during a party. they are always drinking at these parties. Plus I think i've seen them drinking the same type of beer used to smash the window.

Insurance: Liability only, so no go.

Nothing was stolen because they must have thrown it from a moving vheicle (I can tell by the trajectory). Plus there's nothing worthwile to steal from my truck. It's old and looks like junk, but it gets me by.

Magman: I asked about prints. The officer honestly looked at the bottle but didn't see any obvious prints.

shartley
09-14-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by vf-xx
Magman: I asked about prints. The officer honestly looked at the bottle but didn't see any obvious prints.
LOLROF That cracked me up. Most prints are not visible to the naked eye.... ;) You can bet that there WERE obvious prints left, after all, most people don't avoid leaving them when drinking. :D Just because you can not see them does not mean they are not obvious. ;)

-Jôker-
09-14-2002, 07:17 PM
shartley... maybe he mean tthe cop looked with the lil powder stuff lol... :rolleyes: that sucks about the win though... :(

shartley
09-14-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by -Jôker-
shartley... maybe he mean tthe cop looked with the lil powder stuff lol... :rolleyes: that sucks about the win though... :(
LOL Highly doubtful. ;)

vf-xx
09-14-2002, 07:42 PM
Shartly's right. (mostlikely)

I think he just looked at em to humor me, cause he knew that even if he found any they wouldn't be in the system.

ah well. think ill just paintgrenade the frathouse next party (not!)