PDA

View Full Version : Can i use DOW 33 in the place of OIL? TOM?

OrangeDude
09-15-2002, 01:30 AM
I'm wondering can i use dow 33 instead of oil in the marker such as on the o-rings? I know i can grease the springs and threads with dow33 but i'm not sure is its safe to put it on o-rings.

Mav D MagMan
09-15-2002, 02:12 AM
Only if it is not petroleum based... Petroleum based oils reak havoc on the orings used in paintball applications.

Mav

PyRo
09-15-2002, 06:27 AM
grrrr
i was wrong :(

sniper1rfa
09-15-2002, 10:03 AM
why would you want to. oil is cheaper, quicker and wont dry up after a days play like DOW.

and petroleum based oils probably wont harm o-rings anymore. that just happened to really old Buna-N rings. most guns use better rings now. there is a really good write up on the FAT at the tinkers guild.

OrangeDude
09-15-2002, 11:16 AM
so dow 33 dries up !?!?! I bought a tube at graingers and it is huge. I needed a tube for my two maxflo regs anyways so i bought the huge 5.3 tube. I already put some on my rings but i ran out of gass so i couldn't really test the marker. So I SHOULD wipe off the grease and put regular paintball oil on them right??? I wish TOM KAYE would respond to this. Whatever Mr. paintball god says about mags i listen too.

BlackVCG
09-15-2002, 03:27 PM
Dow33 is a grease specifically for o-rings. It will work fine any your gun, but oil is best since the o-rings absorb it and it can flow through the valve and "coat" all of the parts.

Dow33 is used on electronic guns like the Intimidator, Impulse, etc. because oil can get on the electronic parts and cause a short. That's why they use grease instead.

If you put a light coat of oil on your PT o-ring, piston and on/off pin, it will work fine.

sniper1rfa
09-15-2002, 05:38 PM
yup, thats why you need to clean maxes and such. you will see that it turns into a sort of powder after a while.

and also, oil is a little bit faster, is lubricates better. BUT, it flows. these are the differences you will find necessary in most industries.

black is right about the rest though...