PDA

View Full Version : Paintball-Oh God Make It Stop!!!!!

AGD=RealDeal
09-15-2002, 06:11 PM
Nowadays, people are hooked on football, baseball, and basketball as sports. Paintball could become a Sport but it needs to be simplified. There needs to be ONE league. Well, at least one league everyone knows about. The NFL,NBA,MLB these are all well known. We need an NPL that actually works, not some lame redneck assembled league that 5 people will pay to see. We need advertising, and someone to head the league. Without these things, paintball will never become a sport. Oh yeah, and the companies in paintball need to start making more progress, new technologies should come out every week to keep the "Sport" of paintball fresh.

TRIAD
09-15-2002, 06:15 PM
New technologies every week? You've got to be kidding me. Paintball has more innovations more rapidly than any other sport I know of.

Paintball is already a sport, and is making rapid progress towards wide-spread public viewing. All these things take time, and don't just happen overnight.

All the things you've stated would be great for the sport, and people are working on these things now. You can't just wake up one morning and expect to see paintball as popular as football, baseball, etc.

Now, quit whining and go out there to help paintball become a sport. Don't expect others to do it, do it yourself and others will follow.

TransMan
09-15-2002, 06:18 PM
Is this a JOKE?? The NPL is pretty big and I'm sure more than 5 peopel will pay to see it . New technologies come out every day where have you been? Paintball was never meant to be a spectators sport it was meant to be played. As long as we have new people playing every week I dont see a problem.

AGD=RealDeal
09-15-2002, 06:22 PM
I go the pb usa every other weekend, and used to ref there. I can't picture Paintball as a sport EVER when i watch some guy say "This is navy seal code, Tango foxtrot delta, whenever you hear this hit the deck and call for backup fire, then we will procede to your position and engage in hand to hand combat" "oh yeah, and im ex navy seal and delta force and air force and green beret and ETC" "Im 400 pounds 6 foot 2 punk, i can kick yur ***" I mean really look at people like this and picture them making tournament paintball a sport.

AGD=RealDeal
09-15-2002, 06:24 PM
Needs to be cheaper 2

AGD=RealDeal
09-15-2002, 06:27 PM
Sometimes i exagerate for effect, but you have to admit that paintball is certainly not even close to being mainstream. It used to be moving ahead so fast, but it has seemed to slow down. People do more "just playing" than trying to push the sport ahead.

shartley
09-15-2002, 06:27 PM
And to elaborate further on TRIAD’s post…

Can anyone point out the new advancements or technologies in Football?

How about Hockey?

Tennis?

Soccer?

ANY?

Simply put, new technologies are not what makes a sport “fresh”, or what draws interest. It is the sport itself as well as those playing it.

And you can have more than one league in a sport and still be successful. Almost every major sport has more than one league.

Also, I might ask how long you have been involved with the sport of paintball? I ask this because when reading your post, I got the distinct impression that you have just started playing…. or that you have been very sheltered while playing at best.

ADDED: I just read your last comment. It is clear that you HAVE been sheltered. It is also clear that you are judging the entire sport by the few people you have been in contact with. Paintball has a WIDE range of styles, players, types of games, etc. and no ONE form encompasses “Paintball”. You really need to get out more, or at least do a little research before drawing conclusions such as you have.

There ARE things that keep holding back Paintball as a main stream sport, but they are not the things you mentioned. ;)

AGD=RealDeal
09-15-2002, 06:32 PM
maybe i am sheltered, but football used to have leather helmets, and in basketball they used a peach basket at first. When a sport is new it needs alot of advancements to keep it going and advance it, paintball is new.

shartley
09-15-2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by AGD=RealDeal
maybe i am sheltered, but football used to have leather helmets, and in basketball they used a peach basket at first. When a sport is new it needs alot of advancements to keep it going and advance it, paintball is new.
Paintball is NOT a NEW sport (it may not be as old as most sports, but it is not "new".. LOL). Sorry. And you may want to look at your own first post again. Your use of football helmets and peach baskets does not apply… again.. sorry.

I would advise letting it drop before you make yourself look any more foolish.
:rolleyes:

AGD=RealDeal
09-15-2002, 06:36 PM
They should advertise the paintball tournaments on television, yes it takes alot of money, but tippman and other well established companies could handle it. This would bring TONS of spectators in to the "sport".

cris8762
09-15-2002, 06:38 PM
oh for the love of god...let me repost this so you dont miss it:

after reading both of the threads you put up here i've determined that you are new to the sport and it appears that you haven't done your research

i would recommend that before you go posting threads spouting off comments that have no factual basis, that you try and learn as much as possible so you dont make yourself look foolish

i would recommend www.warpig.com for general info on paintball, and www.pbreview.com for info about paintball products,

and remember dont believe all the hype you hear

TransMan
09-15-2002, 06:39 PM
I have to agree with Shartley you do sound a bit new i noticed it in your first post but didnt want to say anything. The helmats in football progressed very slowly over time and the basket thing was just in the very begining.
Paintball isnt new its been around for 20 years. What your describing in early sports liek the peach basket is how it was created just like when they used bolt action paintball guns. Paintball has progressed faster in the technolagy field than ANY sport ever you say youve played for a year or two but i strongly sugest you do some research on our great sport

AGD=RealDeal
09-15-2002, 06:40 PM
shartly, you are not intelligent, and insulting my intelligence will not help yours. Saying that, i would like to ask you how you could say that leather helmets to the modern plastic/metal with facemask combo they have now could not be an advancement. Or how about how you think the transfer from a peach basket nailed to the wall and evolving into a metal rim wioth a backboard and netting is not an advancement?

TransMan
09-15-2002, 06:42 PM
They should advertise the paintball tournaments on television, yes it takes alot of money, but tippman and other well established companies could handle it. This would bring TONS of spectators in to the "sport".
The media is too Liberal for paintball to get any good coverage or advertisement on TV. It's a game where peopel shoot each other with guns it will be a while(if ever) before our sport is excepted by the media.

AGD=RealDeal
09-15-2002, 06:42 PM
if you claim paintball is a sport that has been around for a while, then explain why there is never ANY advertising on television?

TransMan
09-15-2002, 06:43 PM
if you claim paintball is a sport that has been around for a while, then explain why there is never ANY advertising on television?
I just did try reading.

AGD=RealDeal
09-15-2002, 06:46 PM
wasnt true, and im bored with this forum right now so im going to eat peace out red neck junkies

LittMag
09-15-2002, 06:46 PM

Local feilds advertise in different areas of the country. Give up this thread before your foot gets shoved furthur down your throat. Calling Shartley stupid isn't helping your cause either, please go do some research before posting about this again.

Sir. Foxalot
09-15-2002, 06:48 PM
First of all your mis informed as to Paintballs intentions second of all i think that you need help and third of all I give this 10 more min till its closed.

Wc Keep
09-15-2002, 06:49 PM
the only advancements in other sports are so minute that it doesnt effect the athlete or the game that much. ex. in the recent world cup that was held in june they used a new ball made by adidas. this ball is supposed to be more explosive on contact making the ball fly further and have better trajectory. do you think all those athletes really noticed that that ball was better than the rest???

the nppl is making advancements to better the situation of the current pro league. but paintball is not new. it is almost as old as i am.

note insulting one of the more respected members of this forum will not get you very far.

the "advancements" that you mention did not spread the popularity of those sports. people didnt start going to watch basketball games because they started using metal rims or watching football games because of plastic helmets. the way these sports became more popular was by more people playing them and loving them enough to watch highly skilled players play. and as the players became more skilled they wanted to watch more.

how does your topic title relate to your actual thread???

TransMan
09-15-2002, 06:50 PM
wasnt true, and im bored with this forum right now so im going to eat peace out red neck junkies
Im sorry that you cant accept the truth and are clearly not an intelligent as you think. I sure that not many peopel agree with your opinion of shartly i know i dont. Im glad your bored and wouldnt be heart broken if I was never subject to reading your posts again.

land hurricane
09-15-2002, 06:51 PM
hey AGD=RealDeal go back to pbnation

FooTemps
09-15-2002, 06:54 PM
I think AGD=RealDeal works for some sort of anti violence group... ::gasp:: he may even participate in anti-violence protests!

shartley
09-15-2002, 06:56 PM
This fool is not worth my time. And I don’t call him a fool as an insult, just as an accurate description. I have read his other posts in other threads and it always leaves the same impression on me…. :rolleyes:

I don't see him lasting long.

cris8762
09-15-2002, 06:58 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=411135

E==Mag MAN
09-15-2002, 07:02 PM
LoL!!!

Yeah over a period of time.....How long has paintball been around lets see the first field opened in 1983. Well since 1983 to 2003 we have gone from markers that could shoot 3 balls a minuet to 30 balls a second......seems pretty amazing to me. We used to use only 12 gram c02 cases . Now we have compressed air tanks with holding pressures of 5000 pounds, they are working on tanks that can hold 7000 pounds! that is insane. I could go on but those 2 points outweigh yours.
"Tippman sponser tv adds?" well first off mainstream commercials on primtime cost millions. Why would they sponser just any paintball tournament? what profit will that provide for them? I think tippman rather put out commercials for tippman. i dont really think any 1 paintball company can afford to just throw out money for commericals like movie adds.
One more thing you talk about paintball being a spectator sport...well people are working on this! "cough cough" XABLL has been a part of that i was there and ill tell you this! THat was a big advancement whether you think so or not. That is the futur of paintball as a spectator sport.
In my opnion you just got on and typed a bunch of jibberish cause you have no clue to what you are talking about!

I personally cannot believe all teh advancements coming out for paintball!

Marek
09-15-2002, 07:07 PM
Well, as I never thought I'd say these words, ever....

I agree with Shartley....

FooTemps
09-15-2002, 07:16 PM
The world is still not ready for paintball...

For example: AGD=RealDeal can be a demonstration of the general public. Do you know what that means? The general public is ignorant and usually misunderstands what paintball is. So if we try to make paintball mainstream people would complain about putting a war monger game on TV.

X-ball is a big advancement in paintball but I say it's still pretty hard for those people who don't even know what paintball is to follow x-ball. We need something even better for spectators.

The only way paintball will go mainstream is if woodsball dies imo. This is because woodsball enthusiusts have paintball guns that are modded to look like real guns. You see those m4 spyders and sniper rifle tippmanns at least at every woods field. This means that will give the impression that paintball is war simulation that will spark ideas of terrorism and crime.

Also, basketball, baseball, football, etc have multitudes of leagues... Ever heard of little leage, AAA highschool football, etc? It's not like the NFL sanctions every level of football.

sniper1rfa
09-15-2002, 07:22 PM
you HAVE to be kidding me.

think about the first guns used. splatmasters pumps with stick feeds (rock'n'cock). now we have electronically controlled semiautos that shoot 12 bps onto a pie plate at 100 ft. no tech advances? your helmet idea is similar to shop googles and proteuses. your hoop? latex based paint with diameters all over the place to bidegradable washable paint with diameters within .001. Or how about pumps to semi?

and these advances came out within years. the evolution of, say, the football took decades. you think it looked like it does now back then? try like a watermelon....

when i was in minnesota one of the most common commercials i saw was for tommyguns paintball.

8 years ago the high end semi was a mag. cockers were second. other than that, there were blow-backs. now the high end guns are X-mags, angels and such e-guns. we have electros that are tourney ready for 300 bucks (mayhem).

did you see the billboards at shatner?

there have been more tech advances in less time than any other sport. it went from a bunch of wierdo's with an idea to millions of people playing and cars for prizes (ten xterra's for the spyder cup, anyone?) in less than 30 years.

football took 50? 75? 100??

now go away or i shall taunt you a second time!!

mrhooie
09-15-2002, 07:36 PM
http://unruly.homeunix.net/images/image_macros/explicit.png

But - this is an example of how people need to be edjimicated

HoppysMag
09-15-2002, 07:40 PM
Well that made my day... his non sensical attempt at a retaliatory insult to shartly crashed and burned...
shartly, you are not intelligent, and insulting my intelligence will not help yours.

and when he says and i quote
"They should advertise the paintball tournaments on television, yes it takes a lot of money, but tippman and other well established companies could handle it. This would bring TONS of spectators in to the "sport"." first off there are already adds on TV for paintball , the short lived BE adds, the 888paintball, kingman and tippmann adds that make "Splatter Factor " such a obvious joke...

ok anyone else vote to banish the BE toting Newb back to PBN?

CenterFire
09-15-2002, 07:45 PM
Perhaps SHartley was telling you that, while the peach basket and leather helmet changes were advances, they didn't change every week. The peach basket was turned pretty quickly into a hoop and it's stayed that way for countless years. The helmet change was a slow change, not a rapid series of "fresh" inventions.

Just because paintball is not heavily advertised on television does not mean it is a new sport. It's not as generally accepted as other sports right now, and for obvious reasons. It involves shooting other people, it induces pain (seems minor to us, but it really is a factor), and it's a pretty expensive hobby to have such a limited range. I mean, golf can be expensive, but most people who play golf have many others in their age range that play as well, and can easily find places to golf almost anywhere.

As for the inventions again, the peach basket to hoop advance could be seen as quite similar to the pump to semi-auto advance. The only difference is that peach baskets don't still have their supporters around.

Personally I think you should spend more time looking into topics before posting them in an abrupt manner, with seemingly no background information beyond the obvious.

Have a nice day anyway, though :D

~CenterFire

FooTemps
09-15-2002, 07:52 PM
Actually, peach to hoop would be more like renegade fields only in the 80's to organized legal fields.

shartley
09-15-2002, 07:53 PM
I like pie. Apple, cherry, pumpkin, peach.... ;)

mike e
09-15-2002, 08:01 PM
k i was skiming this post and came up with a few opinions-first new innovations in other sports: football has new helmets that are almost completely effective in stopping concussions they are from riddel. new strings and raquets are always coming out in tennis. baseball has new types of steroids....(jk) but anyway there are still inovations.
paintball isnt on tv because frankly, it would suck. there is about 30 seconds of each game that would be suitable entertainment for tv. think about it. unless your playing it, or even when your right there, paintball is boreing to watch. the last 30 seconds and maybe the first 30 are the only part of the games with action to catch for tv. also with the frame rates of cameras and such, its near impossible to see the streams on tv so you have no idea what people are shooting at. you wanna see paintball on tv? watch junkyard wars wednesday night, its the paintball tank episode. aside from that i would say your **** otta luck also paintball wont ever be so recognized because to be honest, to a certain extent money can buy talent. now i know everyone is like "well i got a angel out with a talon!" yea but the other 5 games that day he walked about 25 on your chest and mask. if you can afford the paint and the equipment, you automatically have a edge over a lot of people. where as sports you can just train, its free to go out and run and lift, its not free to get a case of paint to practice your snap shooting

Vegeta
09-15-2002, 08:04 PM

yeahthatsme
09-15-2002, 08:08 PM

gee thats gonna make paintball into mainstream. i dont think you have or will ever make a good contribution to the paintball community with that attitude.

Wc Keep
09-15-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by shartley
I like pie. Apple, cherry, pumpkin, peach.... ;)

personally i like pumpkin and coconut custard..

i dont understand how a moderator hasnt stumbled onto this and banned realdeals account yet.that stupid red neck junkie comment is in my opinion sufficient enough to ban someone.

AGD=RealDeal
09-15-2002, 09:23 PM
I am upset at how deeply you people look into this. I love and respect paintball, and all i am trying to say is that it will never become a mainstream sport unless they get a large company to advertise for the sport. Paintballers everywhere should put presure on companies to make comercials for paintball products, and paintball events. They dont have to be national, local could be fine. I may not have played paintball as long as you guys, but I can see its future very clearly. I guarantee you, tippman would largely benefeit from tournament advertisements on television, its called publicity. The more people are exposed to paintball, the more will want to buy paintball products. They will walk into shops, and the shop owners will sugest tippmans to newbies like they always do. Feel free to insult me for my views, as is the common action.

Reo5th
09-15-2002, 09:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that advertising is not the issue here. Again, look at football, hockey, baseball...do you think this was because of mass advertising or because of the sports 'ripening' over time?

AGD=RealDeal
09-15-2002, 09:34 PM
paintball isnt going to ripen, footballs rules changed to make it more exciting, ex. they made a rule against holding, but in paintball, what can they do, say "No more shooting people so the games are more strategic, you gotta barel tag them" I have decided that pb will never be mainstream with people like you.

Army
09-15-2002, 09:40 PM
The thing is, about paintball, no matter how popular or cheap it gets, it will remain an "Extreme" sport and shuffled to the sidelines of TV. Why?

Unlike all other sports, you have to buy new gear every time you play; new case of paint, fresh filled tanks, field fees, driving time. Every other sport can be a one time purchase endeavor. Buy a football, and play until your kids move out. Buy a ball and bat, and play until the mean dog behind the right field fence gets the ball. Buy hockey sticks, skates, helmet, and play until dark, or when the street sweeper wipes out the chalk lines. Buy a basketball, and the whole neighborhood can play with just ONE ball.

But paintball REQUIRES a new purchase each and every time you play, THAT'S what will keep it from the mainstream. Schools can afford 10-15 new $15 footballs per season, but how many cases of $50 paint will they bump for? Far too many players are young kids with no personal income, and rely on Mom and Dad to pay for their hobby. Now, Moms and Dads are nice people, but even they will start to cinch up the purse strings when a fun weekend for ONE kid is over $100, and he wants to play EVERY weekend.

Paintball is getting more known and popular every day, but it will never be in the realm of televised mainstream venues. A few shows or specials yes, but no Monday Night Paintball.

shartley
09-15-2002, 09:42 PM
I am upset at how deeply you people look into this. I love and respect paintball, and all i am trying to say is that it will never become a mainstream sport unless they get a large company to advertise for the sport. Paintballers everywhere should put presure on companies to make comercials for paintball products, and paintball events. They dont have to be national, local could be fine. I may not have played paintball as long as you guys, but I can see its future very clearly. I guarantee you, tippman would largely benefeit from tournament advertisements on television, its called publicity. The more people are exposed to paintball, the more will want to buy paintball products. They will walk into shops, and the shop owners will sugest tippmans to newbies like they always do. Feel free to insult me for my views, as is the common action.
Actually, what you did was start spouting a bunch of ignorant drivel while acting like you knew what you were talking about. However, it was painfully clear that you did not. Then you insult not only myself, but the general membership.

Now you want to act like the “victim” in all this?

I can tell you I for one could care less what you guarantee will happen or what you can clearly see in paintball’s future. You have shown that you not only don’t know a thing about Paintballs History, but are clueless as to what is even happening TODAY in the industry. And this is not something that anyone is making up about you, or something that is being said to “flame” you, but only a simple observation.

You also don’t appear to realize that AO is not only made up of Paintball Players, but its membership also consists of people quite involved in the industry as well as occupations that lend to more insightful comments and observations than you are even close to dreaming about. Many of us are IN the Marketing business, consult for it, etc.

Want to learn a thing or two? Stop posting and start READING. AO has had long discussions about all the issues you bring up. Do a search. And people actually qualified to talk about these topics already did…. and on quite a few occasions.

We don’t insult you for your views, but your apparent stupidity and incredible ignorance. And now you make posts about what you know about how rules make things? Look kid, you have already proven you don’t know much about either mainstream sports, but paintball either. I suggest you go back to eating…..

AGD=RealDeal
09-15-2002, 09:44 PM
Army, you are absolutly right. Oh yeah, and thanx for not notifying me of my impending departure from AO. (:

AGD=RealDeal
09-15-2002, 09:46 PM
hey shartly, you're dumb. Good luck in life.

shartley
09-15-2002, 09:48 PM
You ARE clueless aren't you. :rolleyes:

Army
09-15-2002, 09:50 PM
Now see? You were only being a pest before. Now you have become a waste of time and bandwidth. Attacking another member earns you a three day ban.

Think about it for a few days.

TransMan
09-15-2002, 09:52 PM
Just talking to this kid has droped my IQ 10 points :rolleyes:

Dayspring
09-15-2002, 09:55 PM
You didn't quite figure out that Shartley's a moderator. (Think so about Army too)

Remember: find out who you are picking a fight with before you start. :D

Clare
09-15-2002, 09:57 PM
You didn't quite figure out that Shartley's a moderator

he's not :)

TransMan
09-15-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by CaPoEiRa

he's not :)
LOL i have to agree with Capo if he was I think our friend here would have been gone long ago. :D

shartley
09-15-2002, 09:59 PM
No, I am NOT a Moderator. LOL

(ADDED: I have been a Temp Mod when needed, but do not hold, nor will hold, a perminent position as Mod on AO. I AM a Mod on 2 other Paintball Forums though. ;))

Spray Painter
09-15-2002, 10:05 PM
if that guy posts agian it will be to soon

dawump
09-15-2002, 10:39 PM
If Paintball hadn't made any advancements we'd still be shooting each other at 3 rounds / minute with oil based paint out of technology designed to mark cattle while wearing sunglasses.

Who are you dude? How can you manage to piss so many people off? What's the sense in that? I mean once in a while it just makes sense to say "Your right" and walk away with some dignity left rather than what you are doing which is digging a hole, lying in it and cordially inviting everyone to deficate in it.

You seem to have some strong ideas.. let's see what's behind them.

What advantages do you see in TV coverage of paintball?

What do you think would happen if all players of different experiences played in the same league with the goal of "simplification"?

What investment to return ratio do you think that TV commercials would have, considering the difference in cost of TV commercials ( going out to 99.9% of people who arn't arn't interested ) as opposed to advertisements in Paintball Publications ( where 100% of people are relevant readers )?

Keith

MinimagRockin'
09-15-2002, 11:39 PM
I think part of the reason the technology advances so fast in paintball is because we are using technologically advanced gear in the first place (guns, loaders, compressed gas). If football, hockey, baseball, basketball or any other sport you care to imagine had such gear it would also advance at a similar pace. Now as far as those sports gear advancing, it does anyway. If you took, say for example, a hockey players gear from the conception of hockey to now in 10 year incriments and compared them you would notice there are obvious improvements over each decade. Want more examples: the juiced baseball, communication systems in football helmets, aluminum as well as carbon fiber hockey sticks, $150 basketball shoes (as opposed to chuck taylors).

SSMercury
09-16-2002, 08:03 AM
Army, you are absolutly right. Oh yeah, and thanx for not notifying me of my impending departure from AO. (:

Originally posted by Army
Now see? You were only being a pest before. Now you have become a waste of time and bandwidth. Attacking another member earns you a three day ban.
Think about it for a few days.
That's just funny. If he'd just shut his mouth after replying to Army's post he would have been fine. Well, sort of... *shrug*

HoppysMag
09-16-2002, 04:44 PM
No, I am NOT a Moderator. LOL

(ADDED: I have been a Temp Mod when needed, but do not hold, nor will hold, a perminent position as Mod on AO. I AM a Mod on 2 other Paintball Forums though. ;))

:eek: SHARTLEY DOESNT LIKE US!!!!:( / hoppy runs away and cries like a little girl/

shartley
09-16-2002, 05:07 PM
Actually that has nothing to do with it. Like I said.. when I have been needed, I have always lent a hand.

To get a better understanding, think about how restrained I would have to be if I WAS a full time Moderator…. ;) There are advantages having me in the general membership. :D

Think about it……. ;)

HeeHee

E==Mag MAN
09-17-2002, 08:40 PM
Man shartly i envie you abbility to post such stronge and suggestive messages but also inform them they are acting like a idiot and not look like a jerk yourself.

HoppysMag
09-17-2002, 08:43 PM
Actually that has nothing to do with it. Like I said.. when I have been needed, I have always lent a hand.

To get a better understanding, think about how restrained I would have to be if I WAS a full time Moderator…. ;) There are advantages having me in the general membership. :D

Think about it……. ;)

HeeHee

i know but i figured i would be dramatic...