PDA

View Full Version : '87 VW Scirocco or '87 Audi 5000 Turbo?

Magsrule3
09-16-2002, 03:19 PM
OK, well I have a choice of getting either a '87 VW Scirroco 16v,1.8l, which is in awesome condition interior and exterior and has been taken very good care of. My brother actually already has this same car, with the exception that mine will have a sunroof and only 120k miles.Its also a standard.The guy will sell for $600, which is a great deal.

On the other hand...There is the Audi 5000 Turbo, which is a straight 5, 2.3l Turbo. It runs great, but the body is great. There are no dents or anything, but the paints all faded, chipped ect..The interior is also not great, but nothing bad. Its an automatic. This car is for free to me, from the shop my brother works at. If you have ever seen the Audi 5000 body, its dam ugly in any conditon. But what I was gonna do was take the Turbo engine and buy another cheap Audi 4000 Quattro and put the Turbo in that and use the Quattro transmission too. Now all that would be wicked nice. And I already have my eye on a 4000 Quattro that a guy may decide to sell, for around $500.

What do you guys think? Thanks

rhetor22
09-16-2002, 04:05 PM
VW. save yourself some trouble.

The audi engine just isn't worth the time to lift.

Magsrule3
09-16-2002, 08:28 PM
Ya, Im leaning towars the VW right now. The guy is gonna come by and give me a ride in it.

AutoMaggot
09-17-2002, 08:25 AM
Go to the Dahlbach racing website... They have a SICK video of the AWD Audio doing some nasty burnouts.

Then again, Eurospeed in Portland, Maine swears by the Scirocco. They use one for the hill-climb event at Mt. Washington.

Snewk
09-17-2002, 10:13 AM
Scirocco's are awesome, you just don't see enough of them on the road anymore.

virus
09-17-2002, 11:34 AM
:( :( :( oh boy... this lovly state is letting you get a licence and put a car on the road.... what is this place coming too ;) :p

anyway i would probly go with the vw

RetroEclipseMan
09-17-2002, 09:17 PM
Go with the scirroco for sure. The engine is way easier to work on rather than any audi and parts are also a bit easier to find. Just be ready to do a lot of matenance on that 16v but since your brother has a shop then it wouldn't be that big of deal. That's an awsome deal on it to especially if it's in as good of condition as you said.

Fred
09-17-2002, 09:33 PM
VW all the way dude!

I miss my old 87 Jetta.. drove it for 2 years before my current car... a 96 Eagle Vision... i miss the handling... and the manual tranny... and being able to drive in snow... fast... and how fast it heated up in the winter... and how great the milage was even though it was old...

have i mentioned i miss it???

---Fred

Magsrule3
09-18-2002, 02:08 PM
Ya, I think Im going w/ the VW. Im going to the guys house today to ride in it and buy it hopefully.

The only thing I regret is that, if I get the VW the Audi is going to the junkyard :(

RetroEclipseMan
09-18-2002, 04:13 PM
I would make sure that you drive it and not just ride in it. This way you can tell if the transmition or clutch is going out where you wouldn't be able to tell if you just ride in it. Then again since you're getting it for only $600 then you could easily through a quaife in there and call it good without having to spend that much..

Magsrule3
09-18-2002, 04:28 PM
Well, I actually dont have my permit yet. But my brother is going, and he is a mechanic plus he also knows the guy. I think I should be all set. NOw I have to start thinking of what to get for it...K&N, Bilstein shocks...

Fred
09-19-2002, 09:25 AM
before you rice it out...

make sure the drivetrain is in good working order first. Flush the engine, coolant, etc.
Check the clutch out WELL. My jetta's clutch just needed a new cable and it was good as new!

It will be MUCH cooler if all you do to it are performance upgrades... Rims can be performance enhancing... but ground effects, lowering it, etc... those are for the Angel shooters... the can look nice, but generally don't make it any better.

A good aftermarket brake kit will do wonders if you're driving fast, a lot, with lots of sudden stops.

Remember: Brake pads are much cheaper to replace than clutches and trannies... :)

---Fred

Magsrule3
09-19-2002, 01:13 PM
Ha...Im not I rice boy! Im not gonna put neon lights and strobes all over my car. Im just gonna get it running nice first(New belts, water pump, oil& filter, fuel filter, K&N air filter) then Im gonna get real upgrades. Techtonics Cam shafts, bilstein shocks...

kevdupuis
09-19-2002, 03:46 PM
A free Audi and you don't want it. Send it to me. I know a few rally mods that would get it working and looking sweet.