PDA

View Full Version : What Type of Person Owns a Mag??

AGD
09-17-2002, 11:02 AM
AO,

This little snippet of conversation from someone else came to me in an email. I think it is powerfull and interesting but can't quite get my head around it. I am interested in your comments.

AGD

"There seems to be a common attitude that is aquired with an AutoMag - specifically you get used to people cracking jokes about the marker, and you simply smile and go on the field and show them what it can do. Somehow, I think this breeds an overall mindset of not paticularly needing to get attention drawn to yourself, but rather the willingness to do what it takes to get the job done."

Bulldog
09-17-2002, 11:09 AM
I have experienced that exact thing many times. Not a lot of people really know about the mag, but are impressed when they see it first hand.

BTAutoMag
09-17-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by AGD
not paticularly needing to get attention drawn to yourself
you do remember what the beast looks like?:D

hitech
09-17-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by AGD
...you get used to people cracking jokes about the marker..

Interesting. This does NOT happen to me. Quite the opposite happens. I get lots of VERY positive comments. Granted, they are generally from newbies.

Originally posted by AGD
...not particularly needing to get attention drawn to yourself, but rather the willingness to do what it takes to get the job done.

However, that EXACTLY describes my attitude when playing. I am just now getting use to people commenting on my marker/setup. I'm trying to be a better "spokesperson" instead of just saying thanks. :D

Bad_Knees
09-17-2002, 11:35 AM
It seemms to me we tend to take on the "Underdog" mentality. No one expects us to do much with a gun that is supposedly not worth the money or are POC. I went into a shop one day and they saw my Micro RT and said "WHOA! I thought those things only exist on the east coast. Good Luck on finding parts for it around here." Of course I looked at him and smiled and said "Lucky Me!":D

joeyjoe367
09-17-2002, 11:42 AM
The type of person who owns a mag knows the differance between real hard data, and perception.

I've hear TOOO many times, even from fairly experienced players, about people's 'cockers "out-ranging" other guns. Physics people, c'mon.

Up 'till the e-mags, and C&C X-mags, I'd have to say that maggers are also the type that put fuction over fashion.

magman007
09-17-2002, 12:26 PM
Tom it is true, there are certain people who buy the automag. THere are spceific mag people out there. It is their choice in marker.

THere are mag specific people, and cocker specific, and angel specific and so on. I tihnk alot of the engineering types like the mag becuse it is KISS. I just like the way it feels in my hand

Miscue
09-17-2002, 12:31 PM
My purchasing decisions in paintball are similar to my buying decisions in other markets.

I don't buy anything before I've done as much research as I can... I want to understand what it is I'm getting into... before I get into it.

My bottom line is, I want something that works well. If I can get it at a good price, even better. If I have to pay more for something I need or want and I think it's worth it, I will - I hate to skimp. But, I hate to pay more for something I don't need - especially with a limited budget.

A lot of times, you can't see what's going on for yourself until you start buying stuff. So, when you're a n00b... you gotta go by what other people have to say about things - until you can develop your own opinions based from personal experience. Opinions are like elbows, so I don't take anyone too seriously - but I do keep the words of someone who seems to know what he's talking about in mind. If I can get multiple people who seem to know what's going on (AO Members!), telling me the same thing via clear, sensible explanation rather than conjecture, then I become more confident in their opinions. If I buy something, and verify that what they say is true - I'm more prone to trusting what someone says a bit more blindly. I like it when I can ask someone, "RobAGD... Does this suck?" "Yep." And I don't have to ask why... I'd just be wasting my time verifying he was right. :)

I don't like to buy things solely because they are of a particular brand. I concern myself with particular models from particular companies. Is this model good? A company can make a lot of good things - and occassionally have something that sucks (Um... original superbolt? Hehe). Or... sometimes they can make stuff that sucks and occassionally they have a jewel of a product. If I find a company that puts out great stuff consistently (AGD!)... I'll go back to them all the time.

I love to buy things that only a few has heard of or use, knowing that what I have is really good.

For instance... I bought two ESX-Quantum ampliers. Is it Rockford, Kenwood, Sony, etc? Nope. "ESX? What's that?" Hehe. Most people have never heard of ESX before. The particular model I have was made by Zed Audio (Xtant), for ESX. Their regular amps aren't too stellar... but the one Zed made for them is something special. To get an equivolent class-A amp from some other company, I would have had to pay about twice as much. Good example where one particular model is a jewel... where everything else they make is so-so.

Computer parts: I love finding generics that work as well as more expensive stuff. Back in the day, there were particular BCM (who are they?) motherboards that rocked. Although some of their boards totally sucked.

Ok, back to paintball... After doing research, I discovered that the Automag was that jewel of a product that I always keep an eye out for. Simple, not sparkling pretty (who cares), but worked like a champ (except for the bolt speed issues, which I just dealt with by choosing paint carefully... I was considering a cocker for a while for when my mag was chewing up paint... but L.10 is here now so...). That's all I cared. Now that time has passed, they're purty too! Even better.

I'm an AGD fan because I know how the stuff works, I know how other markers work... and I find that AGD's stuff is better from a technical standpoint (especially with L.10 - the annoyance of breaking paint is gone!). So people tease me for shooting a Mag... makes it that much better when you shoot them out! Hehehe. If AGD had the most expensive markers out there (of course they don't), I would still try to get one.

It's THE STUFF!

lala
09-17-2002, 12:33 PM
The Mag is all busness.;) It just works all the time.

Dayspring
09-17-2002, 12:43 PM
It's a very simple concept.

It just works!

There's only so many things that can go wrong on a 'Mag. Other guns- you have several regulators, hoses, pneumatics, cocking arms, rams... Tom and his R&D team were able to simplify the art of throwing paint, and then make it high quality. No elves, no fancy colors. People shot mags because they worked. I'm willing to bet that there are still original mags out and functioning today. Why? B/c they are damned near indestructible.

They are pioneers, but humble ones. They don't need big ads. Their markers and the players who use them are their marketing team.

It boils down to this-

QUALITY ALWAYS SHOOTS STRAIGHT!

banzaimf
09-17-2002, 01:37 PM
Me, personally? I'm a geek and a bit of a yuppie.

A friend of mine in marketing says that I am a marketers dream or nightmare. I research what it is that I am going to buy. I figure out what is the minimum I need, what the best value is, and what is the best that is possible, then I go out and buy either the best possible, or the best value, and extoll the virtues of said product.

Why I bought the mag? Back in the day (1995) the mag was the highest rate of fire available. The cockers were still pretty tempermental and a mystery to many I knew. The mag was the best gun I could find. On top of that, I got a good deal on a used one. The same one I run today.

When people are looking for guns at my local shop (where I spend too much time) if they ask about mags (which aren't carried there) I can tell the father of the kid that's looking at a gun that I have had mine running for 7 years now. When I go out to the field, I can hang with the electro kids with my lowly mag, and now that I have a level 10, there is nothing that they can say bad about it.

anyways. enough rambling. I got the products I stick by, and AGD is one of them.

gibby
09-17-2002, 01:44 PM
It's funny but true. However, I do get more compliments about my mag...more so than teasing or negative comments towards it.

I remember one time, I went out to play at the indoor field and they were picking teams. Of course the first time around, I was one of the guys picked last. All the players with the Timmies and Cockers were usually picked first. But that's kewl with me...no biggie...I just wanted to play.

The game started and I played really hard and took out most of the opposing team. People seemed to have noticed and it felt good that I was able to contribute. Funny...guess who got picked first next time they were picking teams. ;)

But then again, guess who got picked off first next round...DOH!! HAHA!!

dre1919
09-17-2002, 01:56 PM
I get this kind of thing all the time. I go out to the field and see these guys all running around with Autocockers and Angels, standing around comparing there new three way valve or their new Angel volumizer or some crap. It makes me wonder how many of these guys actually did any research into what makes the gun work and why, or just took the other route: "looked cool and somebody said it was the best." So here I come with my Hypered RT and I get these "You shoot a mag?", or my favorite: "Does you're whole team shoot mags?", in a tone of voice like I'm the outsider and their trying to figure out why I would display such deviant behavior in public. Makes me laugh when a few games later they're like "Wow, that shoots way faster than I thought it would!" It just goes to show you, most people are sheep. Personally, I like being the minority. I like the fact that after I show them what my gun does on the field, they come over and want to check it out...then I happily spread the word about AGD. I also think that description of the type of player that uses a mag is dead on too, because that's the kind of players my whole team are.

Jerhew
09-17-2002, 02:01 PM
lets face it
the market is flooded with cockers, and electros...
they all look the same...pretty annodizing...and milling
and sure they do work and everything but i wouldn't be caught dead with a cheezily milled purple anno'd super electro blender...
it is obvious just from talking to others on the forum that we have a lot in common...
we don't hop on the bandwagon...we aren't clueless newbies who just buy what costs the most because price=performance...
we think outside the bubble
and all i have to say to the non believers is
actions speak louder than words...
you think my gun isn't as good as yours?
wanna find out?:)

fearc7
09-17-2002, 04:32 PM
I get a bunch a good comments on how my 'mag looks better than others.;)

Greg98
09-17-2002, 05:32 PM
people who know the simpsons will see this one coming a mile away lol:

what kind of kid likes automags...

fat kids, skinny kids
kids who climb on rocks
TOUGH kids, Sissy kids
and even kids with chicken pocks..

hot dogs, Arbor Hot Dogs, the snack kids love to munchhhhhh....

oops, i meant airgun designs, not arbor hot dogs ;) :D

P8ntballerAK
09-17-2002, 05:32 PM
get quite the contrary. Every time I go to the field the same guys from team element or other players out there ask to shoot my mag,they are suprised everytime on ow well it shoots compared to their angels, they only complained about the weight.

Kaiser Bob
09-17-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Greg98
people who know the simpsons will see this one coming a mile away lol:

what kind of kid likes automags...

fat kids, skinny kids
kids who climb on rocks
TOUGH kids, Sissy kids
and even kids with chicken pocks..

hot dogs, Arbor Hot Dogs, the snack kids love to munchhhhhh....

oops, i meant airgun designs, not arbor hot dogs ;) :D

FYI, its Armour hot dogs, and its a real jingle :)

56kSomeGuy
09-17-2002, 09:24 PM
Hmmmmmmmm... Hot dogs(gargles with drule like homer):)

the123
09-17-2002, 09:35 PM
Typically, a mag owner is a quality minded person rather than one that buys into hype. Looks are all in the eye of the beholder.
Sure, I hear jokes about mags now and then. They all make me laugh because I know the truth. Thanks AO.

Army
09-17-2002, 09:37 PM
I grew up on a working ranch, and it always needed tools and equipment that worked the first time, and always. Should a tool break, it had to be easily repaired to get back in operation as soon as possible.

After High School, I did high steel construction, putting up most of the Sprint and MCI system around the country (including anntenae on the TV shaft atop WTC Tower 1). This required tools that would work rain or shine, 120F in the shade to 20 below zero, able to take a good bang against a steel tower leg 400-1000 Feet in the air. If you dropped a wrench, you better believe I had the ones that would take the impact, and go right back to work.

I have also worked as a machinist, making precision parts for the F16 fighter, M1 Tank, F22 prototype, F17 fighter, B1 bomber, B2 bomber (but I didn't know it at the time), replacements for some fire control componants on board the USS New Jersey, USS Missouri, and the USS Iowa, and the newly commissioned USS Ronald Reagan.

My career as a Weapons Analyst, takes me far into the "nth" of ballistics and physics of heavy weapons and missile systems.

To pick up a little spare change, I took a job in a toy store....I mean a gun store(!) that also sold paintball guns. Every day I was there, I stood in front of 'Cockers, Timmy's, Spyders....and a lonely little Minimag. The machinist in me, saw the quality craftsmanship. The tool user in me, saw a blend of steel and aluminum and graphite that was built to last. The firearms enthusiast in me, saw a really cool gun!

But, I bought the Spyder TL instead........what?

I saw the Automag as a seasoned players gun, no way would I be able to use it, I just wanted to play outlaw in the woods. The Spyder filled that need just fine...............until I went to my first local tourney.

Oh my gosh! What are all these wonderous paintball guns? I didn't see ANY Spyders in action, a couple early Angels, and only one Automag. The rush back then was all about the 'Cocker and it's upgrades. I asked one team why they had to put all this aftermarket stuff on their 'Cockers; "To make it perform better" was all I heard. 'Why, if it's such a good gun, do you guys have to rebuild it to make it work?' "That's just how 'Cockers are. From the factory, they suck, but with all these upgrades we can be competitive".

I asked the 'Mag shooter why he played with a 'Mag. He said that they just worked all the time, and that since there weren't a lot of upgrades for it, he just kept it clean so it worked all the time. (His team took 2nd that day).

That was my christening into the 'Mag world. I got that Minimag the next day, along with another barrel and a Revvy. I soon found out that 'Mags don't like Co2 (the only option then), but knowing the properties of Co2, I quickly found out about remotes and picked up an ACI 3000psi slinky and 4 stage expando...I haven't looked back since.

I have played successfully with my juiced Z-gripped Minimag for 6 years, and only recently had to replace my first set of O-rings due to extensive Level 10 testing, in which I poured liquid Co2 into the gun until it froze solid. I dropped in an O-ring kit (took 5 minutes), and the gun is a good as new.

All my life I have been interested in firearms and the physics of them. From ballistics to beautiful museum-grade engraving. To understand the material requirements to hold back up to 100,000psi at 3000F is a fascinating study. This same interest followed my passion for the game of paintball.

Needless to say, AGD makes products that meet my criteria for quality, longevity, beauty, and strength.

Thanks Tom.

Damage
09-17-2002, 10:05 PM
I have not had a 'mag for long. I started building my first about a month ago. But I always wanted one because ther was a kind of Mystique to them they were rare and the guys who shot them were usually very skilled and confident and noone was sure how the (The Paintgun) worked. But as of late I have noticed a resurgance of popularity. I spend alot of time on the *Cough* Kingman*cough* Forums. And I am singing the praises and over the past few months people are coming out of the woodwork saying how bad they want a 'mag and asking all kinds of questions. On one board I (S.E.A.) 'mags have taken over as the new must have gun. A few months ago it was all Impulse and 'Cocker. But I bring up mags every once in a while and now every other thread has at least a referance to the Automag by others (Its infectious!). I'll bet over the next year everyone will be seeing ALOT more of them out there. I'm not just Biased because I own one (I own a 'cocker, Electro Shutter, Bushy, Classic Nightmare pump and others) But I am saying this as a person who travels around alot (Im a Professional Streetluger and Gravitybike racer) and has a pretty good grasp of market trends and product promotion. The dedicated and loyal types that go with the Automag has become a major and spreading force that is gaining momentum at a rapid pace.

MantisMag
09-17-2002, 10:09 PM
the mag was my first marker besides a rental. i wanted quality and i wanted something that i didn't need to fuss with. look at a mag. take everything off of it. take off the hopper, tank, and the drop. leave the barrel in. what does that look like? looks like a serious piece of hardware to me. no frilly extras. the mag has a job to do and it does it well. it can take a beating and doesn't require much in the way of maintenance.

some players like to draw a crowd. they want the attention. you can tell who they are because they're the ones standing out away from any gathering points like water coolers or tables. they want to be sure that everyone that's near them is there for one reason, to admire their marker. i'm the kind of person who walks over and sits down in the shade, plops the marker down on the table and waits for the next game. if someone comes over i'm more than happy to talk about my mag. but i'm there to play. not to show off my pretty marker. by the end of the day most people have seen the dye cocker and are finished admiring its looks. but they still want to know... "how's that mag? what kind of setup is that? where can i get one?" :D

Dern
09-17-2002, 10:47 PM
i like the tube shaped design... it is Original, unique.... just plain looks cool. I also like the mag's size and feel.

nerobro
09-18-2002, 12:42 AM
I own a mag because I find it beautiful. Even including the regulator there's no more than a few dozen parts. There's no wasted space. The barrel retaining system is elegant, and works every time. The gun can be stripped by undoing a single screw. Almost no problem in the gun can't be diagnosed and fixed in just a matter of minutes.

The elegance still astounds me. And even with the level 10, the parts count went up by just five. It didn't even introduce a new wear part into the gun. There is still just one wear point in the gun that can't be fixed with a simple o-ring.

That, is why I own an automag.

i've never gotten teased for owning a micromag... by anyone but people who are true agd buffs. Go figure ;-) Anyone who's used my micromag since july knows why i've owned it for the last 6 years. And they know why my next "new" gun will be an emag.

mihanikos
09-18-2002, 12:59 AM
I feel as a mag owner I am in a class or should I say a league of my own along with my fellow mag owners of course. As it was stated above, we think outside the bubble and don't follow the hype because we wanna look cool (although I think my retro lvl 10 mini with chrome intelli and warp looks awesome!)What more can I say, you guys already summed it up perfectly! I love owning and shooting a mag!!

Top Secret
09-18-2002, 09:02 AM
I think we are people who have not become very concerned with the looks of our guns, and merely care how it shoots. My first gun was a Silver M98 that I bought 4 years ago. My second gun was a used Automag that was riddled with aftermarket parts. It sucked. I sold it and bought my LED Angel. Which I played with for about a year and a half. Then the gun that the AGD tech at Hit and Run Paintball in Texas told me about(quite some time before its release) debuted along with a new feed system. I bought a Chrome Emag WL, AGD Flatline 3k and a warpfeed unit. Was the greatest thing I ever bought for the game. Changed the way I played. I wasn't worried about chopping, I could fire fast without shooting down, and hopper hits were gone. I joined up with AO and started spreading the "good word" ;). My example has led to the emerge of 2-3 more emags(I was the only one), several new automags and RTs at the local field. Lots of people want warpfeeds for their guns too. I've seen that us "automaggots" stick together.

athomas
09-18-2002, 09:54 AM
I first bought a mag back in 1993. I researched all possible guns available. Everything pointed to automag for reliability and performance. The pictures I saw of the gun weren't much. It looked like a tube with a hose going to the ASA. I did more reading. Everything kept pointing to quality. I bought one, the first in Atlantic Canada. Once other saw it perform, there were dozens bought in my area alone. It was the gun to have.

Fast forward to now. Many of the original players I played with no longer play. Some have graduated to electro guns. New players coming in buy into the glitz and glamour. I walk into my local field and am the only mag shooter. A friend of mine just new to the sport wants his own gun. I recommend the mag, he buys a tippman model 98 because its cheaper and everyone says it can fire really fast. Within the year, he buys a mag. I decide to upgrade to an electro gun because I need new gun anyway, so I can give my old mag to my son to use.

Hmm, what gun do I get? I ask around. Everyone points to their favorites. I look at the intimidators. Too tall and top heavy. I look at shockers. A brick on a stick. I look at angels. Way too expensive for what you get. I look at impulses. Not bad, but needs a lot of upgrades to be tournament ready. Emag, still a mag. Can't go wrong.

I decide to buy either a used emag or a new impulse. I decided on the emag. The guys at the field wonder why I would buy a used emag for more than I would have paid for a new impulse. I explain that it all about performance and reliability. There is nothing that could go wrong in the emag that can't be easily fixed. I totally trusted my purchase knowing that there was no way I could get stuck with a lemon. Thats the confidence I have in AGD products. Plus, without any upgrades, I have a gun that can outperform any gun on the field.

Let me tell you, they are taking notice now, especially since I have the level 10 upgrade. I've seen more mags emerge in the last two summers since I've started playing regularly again and showing off the product. People just have to see things to really get an appreciation for them.

To sum it up, a truly informed person buys a mag. An uninformed person buys the hype.

Evil Bob
09-18-2002, 12:26 PM
I bought my first Mag in late 1992 to replace my PMI III. I bought the Mag for it's stainless steel construction, I wanted something that would hold up to the punishment I gave it. My PMI III had stripped screws and gouges in the aluminum body, it just wasn't keeping up with my rough style of play. To this day I still own both, and both still function.

Today I still buy Mags because they're performers and can still take some serious abuse. The order I buy in: 1) Performance, 2) Construction, 3) Cost. If I'm going to dish out $1200 for a marker, you better beliece I want to get the most mileage out of it. I owned two angels because the team I played for required their use to maintain our sponsorship. I owned two because one or the other were invariably in the shop half the time.

The emag came out and I promptly sold both angels, replaced them with a single emag, which to date has never failed me.

On and off the field, I prefer to let my skill do the talking and the others do the walking (to the dead zone that is). A picture is worth a thousand words, actions and deeds are greater then any speech one can make about product performance.

That is who I am, heart and soul, I remain quiet and let my marker do all the talking, for it speaks in a voice and clarity that all understand.

-Evil Bob

hitech
09-18-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by athomas
...There is nothing that could go wrong in the emag that can't be easily fixed.

One of the driving forces behind my getting a 'mag.

I have been turning the tables lately. At the field this Sunday a friend of mine chops a ball prior to the start of the game. In a serious voice I said "You need to get a level 10." then follow it up with "Oh yeah, YOU CAN'T!". :D

Vanced
09-18-2002, 02:02 PM
What type of person owns a Mag?
My kind of person!

I have degrees in Mechaincal Engineering, and understand a thing or two of what goes into a mag compared to other markers. I understand a thing or two about desgin, form, and function. With over a decade of playing paintball behind me I like to think I understand a thing or two about the sport.

I know what I like, and I am not easily impressed. But Tom and the folks at AGD never cease to amaze me.

What type of person owns a Mag?
My kind of person! Because it is a very rare thing that someone owns a Mag out of dumb luck. And they know the reasons that their choice is an Automag.

Vanced

FactsOfLife
09-18-2002, 02:59 PM
The kind of person that owns a mag, or any other well built piece of equipment, understands that Form Follows Function. Not the other way around.

How many silly add ons, milling, and electronics for the sake of add ons are there in this sport today?

I'd say way too many. Do you really need to be able to send messages from your angel to another angel?

Does your 'Timmy really need dragon milling to make it work better?

I'll take anvil-like reliability over foofoo-sheeshee looks anyday of the week.

FatMan
09-18-2002, 03:13 PM
I bought my first Mag about 4 years ago. I had another marker and was having some problems with it. These guys who had taught me to play and had owned at least two of just about every decent marker out there told me this: "You need a Mag. You don't want to screw around with your marker, you're not trying to impress anyone with glitz, you just want a marker that will do exactly what you want it to do, all the time. That's a Mag."

I was kind of non-plussed, but they insisted they were going to build the thing for me - so I figured I'd see what happened.

Darth Mag is all black, with a double-trigger 45 grip and Retro-Valve (which was brand new at the time). Black fore-grip, power feed. That's it. Since then all I've done was buy a Freak, update the powerfeed plug, and install Level 10. I had to replace the bolt spring once (before the LX) and a power tube o-ring once. I play a fair bit - probably average twice a month. I've played in big games and tourneys and lots of pic-up rec ball.

When most people meet me at the field for the first time, they look and either say "What's that?" or just "A Mag, huh." They don't usually say much. Sometimes they show me how "great" their cocker is or their Angel or Bushie and tell me I ought to get one. Then we get on the field.

Usually comming off the field its a different story "Damn, the paint was flying from that thing. Have you got an electro frame on it? How did you get it to shoot like that?"

My mag is a simple marker that works great. I don't need anything better than it already is. I can hang with anyone as it is. I think the original quote for this thread is right on! People like ME own a Mag. Talk all you want, show me the pretty colors, but when we get on the field, THAT's what matters to me!

Have Fun!

FatMan

brian terry
09-18-2002, 03:43 PM
tom the type of people that like mags. people that like there guns to work when they pick them up.people that like the way its so easy to fix if you need to.theres a lot to say abought the reason people buy the agd line of guns.but it would take me 1 day to type it all....

Glenn0586
09-18-2002, 06:38 PM
He sold me my first mag a few months ago.
Chrome centerfeed retro intellifed minimag (say that 5x fast :) )

Unfortunatly, I had some probs with the lv 10 in it...and problems actually that even fellow AOers couldnt fix. So because of this, I just took the lv10 out temperarily. But as soon as I got that thing shooting (unfortunatly w/o lv 10 still)....well lets just say my friends were a bit ashamed of their cockers.
And funny enough, their father (a mag owner who turned me on to the idea of a mag and why they are so great) was having a hell of a time watching the gun and telling them that their guns were worth *EDIT* Please do not circumvent the cuss filters. It annoys the members and makes the Mods mad. Army compared to it.

MY EDIT: sorry bout that guys. my mistake. i'll refrain from that in the future.

And about the mag bashing thing...Ive never had a joke on my mag. All I have had so far are comments. People telling me that its sexy. And the majorit of what everyone asks is: is that thing an electro?

lol

Maui PFB
09-18-2002, 06:58 PM
Since my fist mag in 1991 the design has not changed much. But only gotten better. Keep It Simply Stupid is what I would call this gun. Its the only one I think I could Fix with my eyes closed-Minus the new e-mag boards.

my original gun on co2 still competes today with all the angels and Timmys. Most buyers are buying the new hype>

:cool:

FrAuStY
09-18-2002, 10:47 PM
What made me buy an Automag?

My experience with a played at a local outlaw field turned me on to AGD. He had a 3 yr old RT which he never so much as removed the barrel. This gun was filthy! I couldn't believe it still operated as dirty as it was. I'm talking dried paintshells on the bolt face (not with LVL10 :D) dried crusty paint in almost every nook and cranny. ANyway..he let me shoot it...told me his history with the guns and how they always perform...and you never have to maintain it. I was like, I'm gonna own one...I was tired of every two times I played...having something with my Spyder go wrong. I picked up an AM68 about 6 months later and haven't looked back since.

I want the product I buy..to last. I don't want to have to buy things to make it better. As far as people cracking jokes.. haven't heard too many...then again..they can't joke when they've got MY paint in their mouth :cool:

I try to tell as many poeple that wanna listen..about AO and AGD as a whole. No other company offers the input and customer service that AGD provides. No other gun will flatline (0 +/-fps)a chrono for more than 10 shots, Automags can and mine does (shot 15 shots...everyone was 274, people around me couldn't believe it). No other gun has proven itself to sustain a 25 bps w/paint firing spree. Nuff said. Kudos on a job well done AGD.. if I was there I'd pat ya on the back..buy you a donut and some coffee!

To make it short... the gun's design, operation, and longetivity made me do it. I....I... h.....LOVE AGD!

SGTKennedy
09-19-2002, 12:15 AM
i saw an RT shoot just as i got into paintball. close to 5 years ago now and i said "i will own that gun" three years later i bought and i recently sold it. now
I
tog
Emag

edit: you never saw that? eh it was from back in the day when emags were new.

Jerhew
09-19-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by AntwanRT
i saw an RT shoot just as i got into paintball. close to 5 years ago now and i said "i will own that gun" three years later i bought and i recently sold it. now
I
tog
gamE
:confused:
was that last part in code?
"I
got
Emag"
:D

shartley
09-19-2002, 10:31 AM
Well, I see a lot of folks gave “life histories”… LOL It was all good reading though.

My thoughts?

Well, personally I choose one product over another for many reasons. The reason I chose Mags is that that I don’t like to tinker with things. I want them to work right ALL the time. I don’t want to have to “time” it, “tweak” it, or anything else. I want to take it out of my gear bag, gass it up, fill the hopper, and KICK SOME MAJOR REAR!!!!! :D:D:D

I like my things also to be classy, but not flashy.

I also like my things to be reliable and durable.

I also think BEING the part is more important than LOOKING the part. ;)

I have a License Plate in my Shop (don’t use it anymore because NH requires both front and rear plates) and it quite succinctly states the following:

My tastes are simple,
I like the best.

canibus
09-19-2002, 03:09 PM
well i get some positive comments on my mag some by pros some by newbs (normally intimidated by my 114 cu tank) but one time i was at this indoor arena and like ou said some cocker owners were trying to show off and saying there guns were better than ours.and one of the said cockeres vs. mags and we protested cuz there were like 8 cocker and 3 mags and then one of them spoke out and said "what scared we onna whoop you ***?" or somehting like that so we played and we caned them thats just to prove that guns dont realy matter and not to get cocky and my last coment is lie you said you have to have a certain attitude for mags if you like performance over looks over (even ive seen some sick mags) but cockcer owners always think cause there gun has flashy parts and stuff they think they rule (my cousin disaggrees but i still think he is obsessed about his bm and always talks crap about mags. and last if anyone here goes to www.pbreview.com even though some mag owners can get cocky about there mags normally when a mag is brought up to comparison the first insult comes from the cocker owner.

j.t.
09-19-2002, 05:27 PM
I recently played in a tournament with my minimag... i was the only one on my team NOT shooting an Angel. 3 of the 4 angels had problems that day and it costed us some points which dropped us from 1st to 3rd place.

The players on my team were some of the most biased players i have ever talked to. Even after my mag worked reliably all day (shot consistent at the chrono, never chopped, and was able to hold its ground against the angels and timmies all day)they wouldnt even shoot it in the target range after i insisted they did while i was trying their angels.

To make a long story short. They can continue shooting their angels, but i wont be the one throwing paintballs at my opponent because my angel ceased to fire. :p

sizzle123
09-20-2002, 07:53 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love mags and I think nothing negative about them, but an Angel is a great gun. My angel has never failed me. The only reason I shoot an angel is because I like how the Ir3 feels and shoots. Most people can see I'm not into the real flashy marker when they see the warp feed and the home made intellifeed coming out of the grip to the warp:D I always like the emag, but with the warp feed and everything, I found it to be way to heavy for my style of play. If I had to nuy another electro now I would get the c+c extreme. Now I Just have something to say about cockers, the cockers from wgp simply suck, there is no question about it. But, good cusom cokers like freeflow, they are great guns and perform well.

shartley
09-20-2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by sizzle123
Don't get me wrong, I love mags and I think nothing negative about them, but an Angel is a great gun. My angel has never failed me. The only reason I shoot an angel is because I like how the Ir3 feels and shoots. Most people can see I'm not into the real flashy marker when they see the warp feed and the home made intellifeed coming out of the grip to the warp:D I always like the emag, but with the warp feed and everything, I found it to be way to heavy for my style of play. If I had to nuy another electro now I would get the c+c extreme. Now I Just have something to say about cockers, the cockers from wgp simply suck, there is no question about it. But, good cusom cokers like freeflow, they are great guns and perform well.
Do you own a Mag? No offense, but your post seems to be more about OTHER markers than Mags. This thread is about Mag owners, and since you are not one……. ;)

You might want to start a thread titled “What kind of people own Angels”? ;)

JohnTzu
09-20-2002, 03:27 PM
I bought my automag back in 1990-91(I think, my memory's not so good) It was my first marker, it remains to this day my only marker. (Although, I'm thinking of getting an e-mag some day soon) I bought it for several reasons. Simlicity of design, I like the look, and feel. and the fact that everyone I knew was buying them too. The field I play, and ref at, Paintball Sams, in Wisconsin is, was, and probably always will be an AGD field. and most imprtantly, I played the best game of my life with a borrowed Mag. (Thanks Harry)

I've never once regretted my purchase,and the gun just wouldn't stop working. Infact until recently, I never even saw a need to upgrade it from a Lvl 6.5. Finally though, my original valve is showing it's age, and I'm forced to replace it. But 12 years of hard play out of any gun without the need for service, or major repair says a whole lot for AGD's attention to quality.

I love my mag, and I don't think I'll ever by a Non AGD marker. It just isn't worth the risk.

JohnTzu

bornl33t
09-20-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by shartley

Well, personally I choose one product over another for many reasons. The reason I chose Mags is that that I don’t like to tinker with things. I want them to work right ALL the time. I don’t want to have to “time” it, “tweak” it, or anything else. I want to take it out of my gear bag, gass it up, fill the hopper, and KICK SOME MAJOR REAR!!!!! :D:D:D

Oddly enough I'm the exact opposite.. I LOVE CUSTOMABILITY, I want to be unique as possible, but without having to tune and tweak. Mags are so easy to customize because of interchangeablility. I mean how many ppl you see with a mini body on a E-mag? 2? 3? And since I don't have money for a gun and a a backup I need my maingun to work all the time.. even in the middle of a project. I don't want to but all 400 parts together and have to tune it too yet!!

But even more then that....I don't want to have to buy the NEWEST stuff all the time. I HATE THAT. AGD makes improvements WITHOUT having to buy whole new markers. Think of the money you'd go through buying a new Angel every year? :D :D I wait till AGD comes out with something, give it a few months and buy it used for a fraction of the price. My current E-mag costed less then 500$ tank, warp and all...that leaves me.. umm... 600$ to customize it before I though the resale price on nicer IR3's and for 600$ you can get alot of milling, parts and ano done :D

If AGD ever changes to a compleatly redesigned gun, I'll be looking at different options :(

kevdupuis
09-21-2002, 05:46 AM
I got my mag because I wanted one.

1stdeadeye
09-21-2002, 05:48 PM
I am a Commercial Lender for a top 5 bank. I am also a mechanical dolt.
I wanted a simple marker that worked and worked fast.

I went out to play today with a bunch of Newbs in a pick-up game. The teams were made up of all police officers and Corrections oficers. The first comment I heard upon unleashing my R/T was," Ooh, what kind of Spyder is that?":( .

After hooking up my warp feed, I heard,"I am not playing if that guy has a full auto gun!" I then had to show everyone how it was indeed a semi and the warp is only a more advanced feeding system.

Needless to say I had lots of fun:D :D !! It was a target rich environment. When we wrapped up, one of my buddy's Spyder jammed. I said I would help. Remove the Quickstrip pin and a hundred things popped out the back. After fixing it, I broke down my R/T and showed him why simple is better.

Quite a few of them at the end of the day were interested in buying my R/T when I get my C&C X-Mag! We have converts!!:D

Robbo
09-22-2002, 12:36 PM
What kind of person owns a Mag ?

I'll tell ya what kind, they have to be cool, ultra cool in fact, devilishly good looking, highly intelligent (having a brain the size of North Dakota helps), they have to possess the physique of a God and after all that, endeavour to be humble....it's difficult I know but somehow I manage it :)

Robbo

magsRus
09-22-2002, 10:40 PM
What kind of person uses an automag?

A smart one

Telefragged
09-24-2002, 05:33 PM
I think Mags, for the most part are severaly underestimated. With the exception of the E-Mags, RT's, and some of the classics, they're not much to look at. No flashy colors or complex body schemes, no moving parts or unique outer parts, etc.

I bought a Mag. I'm the kinda person who believes the KISS philosiphy. Why have extra complex parts when the more parts ther are, the more likely there's something to go wrong? I wanted something that handled nicely, shot nicely, looked good (gotta love those polished bodies) and outperfmred pretty much everything in its price range. I some snide comments, and looks from the masses of 13 year olds shooting Impulses. One of the group asks to shoot... the comments, looks, stereotypes all dissapear. Many players are impressed by the trigger action, speed, size, and looks of my RTP.

People who buy Mag's want something other than an intricately carved part, or multi-color anodizing. Something more than hype. People who buy Mag's are looking for quality, and performance, stemming from complex research and Development. People who buy Mag's generally do not go by the words of others. They do the reasearch for themselves and make the right choice :D

pballguy17
09-24-2002, 09:16 PM
I have noticed that mag owners are those who are seroius about paintball. Those who kno paintball can easily watch the people setting up their equipment and tell who' goign to b trouble. u get the yougner kids with the angels and cockers going my gun shoots xx bps, or my gun shooots xxx yards. and than u got the guy ni the back, wearing either a t-shirt and shrots, or full cammie, one pod, and a 9v that has an old beat up mag. u can tell he's going to b trouble. I bought the mag, b/c i kno it preformed, it was small and tight (great for us front players). didn't cost alot to buy or upgrade, and u can't beat AGD customer service! what more can u want? BTW, my mag looks sexy ;)

MagMan5446
09-25-2002, 08:45 PM
A cool person.

TheEmagGuy
09-27-2002, 12:17 AM
The kinda person who knows that beuty and desighn can also give a powerful punch! hehe

When I started paintball my friend gave me a magazine to look through so I did. I was sitting thier looking through.. 100's of cockers and angels but no mags. I turned to the marker guide and their it was... Automag, Automag RT

I just sat their wondering "WHAT IS THAT BEUTIFUL PEICE OF WORK???!?" It was so good looking it almost made me cry :(

But, anywho, 2 months past and I couldnt afford it so I bought a Tippmann, built like a rock, trigger like a rock :p but WORKED LIKE A SHERMAN TANK hehe I luved it, I couldnt beleive something so cheap (350 Cdn) could work so well. Never gave me a problem, rarely chopped, looked cool. But I got some extra cash.. and decided to go for it. I bought the Automag RT, I bought a warp and otehr upgrades.. but still wasnt happy so I went for the top of the line.. The E-mag and I havent looked back

Hopefully I can get some action pics up after sunday with it hehe. But anywho

The kinda person who shoots an automag, is a person who knows what they want, and knows what they want is worth going after.

samurai
09-28-2002, 02:13 PM
i wanted a mag from the time i saw one. i own a 68classic w/powerfeed. it has never chopped a ball and i never have problems with it. i play a lot of one on one and its nice to know that walking onto the field my marker is reliable. people talk about high rate of fire. my mag isnt electric but i can rip off enough shots to keep anyone down. we video most of our games and i have it on tape where i got the angle on my friend and you can hear as i fire of ten shots before the first one hits him and he yells hes out. i have no doubt that walking into any game one on one to whatever on whatever i can hold my own with my mag.

09-30-2002, 06:41 PM
I like the attention. I get a lot of: What kind of gun is that etc and I think I get a whole lot more attention than the numerous angel users at my field. There arent that many Micromags let alone nickel ones as sexy as mine:D around.