PDA

View Full Version : I.R.O.C. style competitions - who's the BEST!?

Jack & Coke
09-18-2002, 12:01 AM
I.R.O.C. = International Race of Champions

This is a race to see who is the best car driver given a level playing field (i.e. all cars are exactly the same).

I've always liked the idea of having a tournament where everyone randomly selects their own equipment from a bin where they are all identical.

For example, who would win in a pro tennis tournament if everyone played with the identical generic tennis rackets?

No equipment advantages.

What about a paintball tourny where everyone used the same gun (supplied by the sponsor)? Which pro team out there would win? Dynasty? Ironmen? Aftershock?

The spirit of the "IROC" style would to see which team is the BEST regardless of equipment.

Pretend AGD sponsored such an event. Everyone running around with stock automag classics (level 10 of course)... all identical! Which team would win out there?

Even better... 10 on 10 with all PGP'S!

http://www.pbreview.com/pics/1013108774.jpg

Old skool baby!

What do you guys think of the "IROC" concept of identical playing equipment?

mihanikos
09-18-2002, 12:41 AM
I love it! As long as I'm shooting a mag!

FooTemps
09-18-2002, 12:44 AM
That'd me mad tite! The only downside is that there would be a lot more competitions because a lot of the companies would jump at that chance to sponsor it. I mean, a whole event in which you promote your markers.

Jack & Coke
09-18-2002, 01:17 AM
well... the main purpose would be to see which team is really the best!
:)

Strider
09-18-2002, 09:28 AM
Unfortunatly, you would be skued by the player teams which have experience with the markers being used.

For instance, if ADG were to sponsor an EMag event, the teams that currently use EMags would be at an advantage...

Neat idea though! With a bit of work it has the possibility...

Will Wood
09-18-2002, 03:49 PM
You took the words from my mouth!!!!!!

I have been thinking of such an event for a while now....ever since I started to play tournies. I did get flammed before saying it, but I do beilive that alot of the pros out there now wouldnt be half the player they are now if we all had Tippmanns maxed out at 5bps or something. I don't know them, they might be able to woop my butt with a talon and me firing 20 bps out of a Extreme. But.. I doubt that is the case. Whatever. I would really like to see more pump/rental gun tournies out there. Make it even. No going "but its no fair he has a better gun" and such. No newbie teams awing at the guys angel sitting next to you. I would def. be interesting in doing something like this

Troy
09-18-2002, 06:39 PM
The technology that the top level teams use is already fairly equal. Well with the exception of Bad Company.

Its the players not the gun. If you gave everyone tippmanns the good teams would still be good and the not so good teams would still be what they are.

Will Wood
09-18-2002, 06:48 PM
Maybe it's just because they win and we don't. But equalling the odds I do think that my team would do much better.

If you can do what you do now with crappy gun and not firing fast, why don't you? Get some attention. Go grab some rentals and woop everyones butt. (Actually I do belive that there is teams that do well at the national tournies with crappy guns, my congrats to them)

Sinnet
09-18-2002, 06:49 PM
to answer your first question :D
i'm a big tennis player, and I guarantee you making everyone play with the same racket would have NO effect on the outcome of a tournament... except maybe pros with tempers would get mad and lose (because the racket would give them an excuse).

Jack & Coke
09-18-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Sinnet
to answer your first question :D
i'm a big tennis player, and I guarantee you making everyone play with the same racket would have NO effect on the outcome of a tournament... except maybe pros with tempers would get mad and lose (because the racket would give them an excuse).

I respectfully disagree.

Make everyone all play with wooden rackets (old skool) and the big hitters of today (who rely too much on the power of their modern rackets) would even lose to Johnny Mac.

Equipement makes a difference.

Sinnet
09-18-2002, 09:54 PM
hey jack... go back about a year in Tennis Magazine, and they did a power test with mark phillippoussis. They made him hit his enormous serve many many times through a radar gun using oversized, his regular, and wooden rackets... guess what? Mark's serve only dropped ~2 mph on average (he was hitting in the high 120s-low 130s IIRC) using the wooden racket, and he actually hit NO FASTER with the higher-tech oversized racket.

I do agree that equipment makes a difference, but very little. It's not the new-skool technology that makes big hitters so big today, its their training regimens. 98% of the players in Mac's heyday didn't have nearly the fitness level of the pros of today. Even only going back as far as Sampras- when he first came on tour, he was BY FAR the fittest guy. He hasn't done as well recently (other than the open, he was on fire) not because he's aging, but because the rest of the tennis world has caught up with him fitness-wise: Roddick, Blake, Haas, Hewitt, Agassi, and Safin are all as fit or fitter than Pistol Pete.

*exhales*
hope that made some sense