PDA

View Full Version : Logic behind sealing back half of valve?

Vanced
09-18-2002, 01:35 PM
Just a quick question, I did a search and coulnd't find this bit of info...

I just got done with a large weekend game, and it was a very rough weather day, with near downpour conditions in wooded feilds. The weather sent all the guys with electro's packing but my both my Micro RTs worked flawlessly, and enjoyed the odd conditions for a unique day of paintball.

After getting home, I sat down to do my standard gun cleaning after a long day, expeically considering the conditions with the guns getting rained on for hours and being sloshed around the mud of wood feilds.

One of my Mags I just recently got retured from AGD that week for its level 10 mod, and when I went to clean it I relized the back half was sealed, and I coudln't get in to clean the valve seat, and pin valve assembly like I typically do. I then did vaugely rememberd reading something about the fact that this was being done, but didn't think about it at the time. I was curious to the logic as to why? I know there is very little reason to get in back half of the valve, and very little that can go wrong back there once it is working. But I was a bit worried that if by some odd chance that in the extream conditions that I played in this weekend, that there is a slim chance that something could get in there and contaminate the rear of the valve and I couldn't get in to anythign about it? Isn't there a chance that you can also contaimate the O-rings back there, expescially if your valve for some reason goes thru some tempature changes like being left in a hot car or the gun getting over pressured and venting out the back?

I don't like to question AGD's infinate wisdom they have been a rock for me in paintball for over a decade, but I am just curious about the logic behind the sealing of valve. Any reasons would be helpfull.

Thanks

Vanced

athomas
09-18-2002, 02:12 PM
What do you mean by "sealing the valve"? I'm not sure I understand how the back of the valve could be sealed.

Vanced
09-18-2002, 02:22 PM
Ok sorry for the confusion:

The Regulator body sealed to The Valve Body

And hopefully it just isn't me that couldn't get the damn thing to come apart since I got it back.

athomas
09-18-2002, 02:31 PM
Since there is parts in there that have to be serviced occasionally, I would say that the back is just screwed on tight. Put the front or back half in a vise (wrapped in a protective cloth) and turn the exposed half with an appropriate wrench (also protecting the valve using a cloth). It should break free.

joeyjoe367
09-19-2002, 01:52 AM
i have a set of rubber belt-wrenches that would probably work.

put one on the valve half, and the other on the reg. body, and turn in opposite directions.

They give you a lot more leverage than you could possibly have with just your bare hands.

it MIGHT be that they loc-tited it on, but I'm not sure. if that's the case, then heating it up would help, but I don't know how you feel about putting a lighter/torch to your valve :P