PDA

View Full Version : LVL10 and bumper

spacemanspiff
09-19-2002, 05:21 PM
I've had the LVL10 in my SFL since July'02 and play just about every weekend. And while I was cleaning it the other day I noticed that my bumper was really getting beat up to the point that I have to replace it soon. I've heard that there will possibly be a new bumper for the LVL10 bolt because the surface of the bolt is smaller than a regular bolt. Just a friendly heads up to check your bumpers every time you clean your gun especially if you have LVL10. If I can get decent pics I'll post them.

FrAuStY
09-19-2002, 07:10 PM
thanks for the headsup, I was curious if the smaller surface area would cause any damage...now I know someone who has encountered it. I play about 1 a week and I inspect my mag after everytime I play. I've put a little over 8 cases through it with lvl10 installed and still no damage.

FordPrefect
09-19-2002, 08:13 PM
Yea, the smaller surface area would be striking at the same (or probably more) force, so less of the bumper is taking a bigger hit.

[More punch per square inch]

Thordic
09-19-2002, 11:01 PM
Scott, were you asleep at dinner at IAO? :)

HyperSnyper
09-19-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by spacemanspiff
If I can get decent pics I'll post them.

No need, any Lvl 10 owner can open up there marker, pull their bolt and see how chewed up their bumper will be. As beat up as mine is, still looks like it wil pull through, but the question is for how long? Talked with JonADG over the phone and he was nice enough to send me a pack of 5 RT bumpers for free. What a Swell guy.

It does make sense that a smaller surface area could create damage. Decreasing the surface area would effectively increase the pressure being applied on the bumper.

As for AGD making a new bumper for Lvl 10, I dont understand why they made the rear of the bolt contoured like that. Maybe to help reduce overall weight of the bolt?

The only way Im guessing to counteract the accelerated bumper wear would be to make a matched contoured bumper to increase the surface medium in catching the bolt. Im guessing these will be a bit more expensive as opposed to making the good old disc/donut bumpers.

Bolt / Bumper

Old: -----) | (Non-matched surfaces, increased pressure on inner section)

New: -----) ) (nicely matched surfaces, evenly distributed pressure throughout bumper)

BlackVCG
09-20-2002, 01:10 AM
They made the rear of the bolt the same O.D. as the O.D. of the bumper. That's not the problem. The problem is that damn notch in the PT to hold the bumper in place. It's NOT needed! That's where the wear on the bumper starts and then it just starts chewing up even further. As long as the bumper is still round and intact, it's fine. Once it starts shredding, then it's time for a new one. I was pulling shreds of bumper material off the top of Capo's E-Mag after it went through a long day of being cycled by people coming by the booth at the IAO.

Havoc_online
09-20-2002, 04:40 AM
I had bits of the inner bumper jam between my bolt and powertube, gave me bolt stick, watch out for that one...

spacemanspiff
09-20-2002, 09:58 AM
Scott, were you asleep at dinner at IAO?

Nope I was wide awake:cool: Just wanted to mention it cause others may not have known about it.:p

Thordic
09-20-2002, 10:17 AM
Oh, ok :)

Just a note to anyone who is experiencing bumper wear - make sure you replace the bumper before it falls apart. If you don't have a functional bumper, you can damage the carrier in your level 10.