PDA

View Full Version : Dead Revvy?

Thordic
09-20-2002, 09:54 AM
Ok, for all intents and purposes my revvy is dead.

The two batteries are brand new, and putting out 9.xx volts each, so thats not the problem.

I turn the switch on, and nothing happens. No motion at all, battery light doesn't come on or anything, just no motion.

About a week ago, I put batteries in and the paddles moved very slowly and jerkily. I thought maybe the batteries were dead and I tossed them without testing them. Now I'm thinking maybe they were fine and something was just dying.

So I tested power going to the servo. I get 18 - 19 volts across two of the prongs on the wires going to the servo, as noted in the picture below. No voltage across the other prongs, so I'm guessing that I've got the right ones for power :)

The problem is, its a 12V revvy, and isn't the voltage regulator on the board?

I'm assuming, and tell me if I'm wrong, that A) the voltage regulator somehow crapped out, which led to B) the servo getting burnt out from receiving 18V.

Anyone have any way I could possibly salvage this without buying a new revvy? This is my last try before I order up a new revvy.

vf-xx
09-20-2002, 10:04 AM
If i'm seeing the picture correctly there's a chip thats between the switch and the Led. It appears to be mounted vertically. That's your voltage regulator. When I get home i'll take mine apart and check it for ya.

Thordic
09-20-2002, 10:16 AM
That's not my board, I just took that picture off RobAGD's site. I'm not 100% sure my board looks exactly like that.

I know that thing in the picture is a voltage regulator, but I don't think my board has the same exact board.

vf-xx
09-20-2002, 10:47 AM
is yours an X board or a regular one?

Thordic
09-20-2002, 10:49 AM
Regular. Its a new-style older one :)

I talked to Rob about this for a bit, apparently the newer-style boards use a diode, not a voltage regulator, to attain 12V. If that burns out, then 18V to the servo.

Im gonna test my servo later, see if its still alive, if not, Im gonna pick up an XBoard and buy a new servo.

speedyejl
09-20-2002, 03:04 PM
X-boards are pretty cheap only 15ish so your in luck, about that servo, tell me how much one costs, I may have an issue with my friends.

Havoc_online
09-20-2002, 04:08 PM
Hey Thordic, I've got a spare 12v revy board, if you get lazy and dont want to buy a x-board, I'll send ya mine.