PDA

View Full Version : Lvl 10 Spring fit on Bolt

HYPER
09-20-2002, 02:35 PM
Am I the only person that noticed this, but the spring fit on my Lvl 10 is very tight. Just to remove the spring from the bolt takes some elbow grease. Wipe all the oil off (so fingers wont slip) then pull apart with all my might while twisting the spring saide to side.

The setup has been broken in for some time now. Medium cut spring has a looser fit than the longest spring, but the longest spring has already gone through a case and been dry fired a ton of times. This combo is excessively tight and I feel like this spring will never break in.

What Im concerned about is if this tight fit is hurting efficiency of system. Not only does the accumulator pressure have to overcome the spring rate, but also frictional forces from the tight fit.

Are these 2 parts even suppose to be so tight? I was thing of polishing the extrior of the bolt and maybe the ID of the to free up some tolerances. Not to the point where the bolt will have major play, but can actually move freely in the spring.

Any comments/suggestions?

-Hyper

Havoc_online
09-20-2002, 04:12 PM
have any caliPers? see if the bolt's OD is .85, any more you can polish off.

I'd use the cut spring, it will still be soft on paint and better on gas.

bunkerhugger
09-20-2002, 04:54 PM
I have the same problem with one of my long springs - it is definitely tighter than the others. Luckily I only run one gun with a long spring and I have a couple of level 10 kits. Kinda silly though - now I'm matching springs to bolts in addition to carriers to o-rings.

BlackVCG
09-21-2002, 01:03 AM
Yes, some of the springs fit on pretty tight. You can try reversing it and the other side might be less tight. You can only do this with the longest spring and the shortest spring.

kutter
09-21-2002, 10:27 AM
Black a quick question on this, my SFL lvl10 bolt, has what appears to be a lip approx 1/8" from the top, the spring will become caught on this when I remove it from the gun and stay compressed around the bolt. I have to tug on it some to get the top of the spring to pop off, it seems to do it even if I flip the spring around.

Admittedly I do not have too many cycles of the gun with this setup yet so it may wear in some, but I was wondering if it is something I might want to look at a little more closely.

Ideas?

BlackVCG
09-21-2002, 10:48 AM
The tip is a bit larger to reduce blowback. It's about .685" whereas the stock L7 bolt was .680".

My long LX bolt springs do fit really tight on the bolt, so I dont' think you guys have anything to worry about.

paul2415
09-21-2002, 11:51 AM
black a quick question.I have 3 springs in my level 10 kit,a short spring,a spring with a coil cutt off & a spring the same length as the cutt coil one,i am told that the cutt coil one is the strongest spring ?.Is this correct.THANKS in advance.:D :D :D