PDA

View Full Version : How stupid can you get?

paint magnet
09-22-2002, 10:27 AM
I was playing some recball against a bunch of new players yesterday, and I was stunned at their stupidity. To start off with, they repeatedly called "time out" during the middle of a game. What is time out? Nobody calls time out in paintball! But mainly, it was the issue of the little 10 year old kids (and their dads) sitting 20 feet from the un netted woods field with no mask on while balls are flying all around them.

I yelled at a couple of them, and they did nothing. After repeating myself 10 times or so, I discovered they didn't really care, so I just figured I'd have to wait until someone got their eye shot out before they'd have sense enough to put on their mask, since they obviously weren't listening to me.

The ref didn't help me much either. Another example was on the hyperball field, everyone was going trigger happy and even shooting where there wasn't even a bunker, and as soon as one guy got shot out, he takes off his mask, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD while balls are whizzing past his head. Another time, I walked through a field during a game (stupid me, but I had my mask on and a barrel plug in my gun) and got shot repeatedly in the head. Less than 5 minutes later, 2 guys walk through the same spot, the game is still on(now remember I got shot in the head here but was wearing a mask) and don't bother to put their mask on! And one guy hiding behind a stump takes his mask off while people are moving up on him and shooting, wipes the inside off with a rag, and even bothers to return fire before putting it on!
I may not be the smartest person in the world, but at least I'm not this stupid. Has anything similar happened to you?

paint magnet
09-22-2002, 10:29 AM
Oh, and 2 out of the 15 kids bothered to use their barrel plugs, when I pointed it out to one who had his own gun he didn't even know what it was for or why you were supposed to have it in; after I told him he objected that the safety was on his gun.

LittMag
09-22-2002, 10:36 AM
If this is an organized feild, do not go back, inform the owner of these problems and tell him/her you won't return until something changes.

paint magnet
09-22-2002, 10:58 AM
If the owner was there, the time they took off their mask would be the time they left the field. It was mainly the ref's fault, and we wouldn't have stopped games so people could get more paint and then try to get back in the original positions either, but I think I will tell him.

confedman75
09-22-2002, 11:04 AM
thats what i would do but if people are being unsafe there dont go there. you could have gotten sued if you shot one of then im the eye, open mouth, temple, or ear. even though its their fault i have seen some crazy law suits where for example: my brother got in a car crash(not is fault) and his best freind wasn't wearing his seat belt and got nocked unconcious. he sewed us and won(quite sucky aint it!)

paint magnet
09-22-2002, 11:06 AM
Yeah, stupid people suck, lol.

Gitaroo Man
09-22-2002, 12:37 PM
yeah thats happened to me a couple of times but the refs always yell at the players who do so thats always good

puckmaster
09-22-2002, 12:39 PM
A couple days ago, I was reffing a birthday party at my local field. It was a group of 50 people! The field they where they were playing was an old airplane hanger, and we had one of the bay doors open, connecting an outdoor field. Anyway, the teams were 25 on 25 and everybody was in a radious(sp) of like 25 feet of the opening. All the sudden, in the middle of 50 people shooting right above him, he takes his mask of to see if a paintball broke on his mask. AND HIS HEAD IS STICKING OVER THE BUNKER!! I yell, I mean yell at him to put his mask on. he acted like he didnt even hear me. So I blow the horn to end the game, BUT THEY DONT STOP SHOOTING! So I run into the action, blowing my horn and yelling "game over" and "STOP FREAKIN SHOOTING" It took them a minute to stop shooting completely. I was not happy. No one listening to me AND me getting 12 welts from going into the gunfire. Atleast I got paid nicely:)

AssassN
09-22-2002, 01:38 PM
i dunno.. im pretty stupid.

I have had an invision sence b4 d-day and i always thought it was OK. Last night i was cleaning the lens when i relized there was a thin blue film over the lens to protect it, NO WONDER I COULDNT SEE JACK!

I felt like such an idiot but now i love my mask.

magman007
09-22-2002, 01:49 PM
wow assn, im sorry but thats pretty stupid!

HYPER
09-22-2002, 03:02 PM
One thing about the field I play at makes me give it the utmost respect. It may not have soft cushy grass to play on, rather it has jagged rocks. It may not have the coolest Sup'Air layout, rather they have minimal air bunkers. However safety always comes first.

There have been many times where I take a hard dive and my face mask comes off. Rather than opening my eyes to go looking for my mask, instead I find one ref running and blocking the firing lanes to me, one ref looking for my mask, and another ref covering me with a paint shield. Any refs and even players seeing the mask off immidiately stop playing and yell to other playes for a cease fire.

If anyone ever takes their mask off because it hot or the mask is fogging, they get called of the field to have a nice long 10-20 minute lecture with the field owner. What they talk about for that long, I have no idea.

When you have a field where safety is that much a priority, it makes it feel so much easier to play without that feeling of losing an eye at the end of the day. If any field fails to follow or enforce proper barrel plug / goggle policy, I would seriously hesitate from playing there again. Just imagine if your mask falls off and the refs dont give a rats *** since they have a hangover from then other night. Youre gonna sit in your bunker all day praying that you dont get bunkered in the face.

-Hyper

Timmee
09-22-2002, 03:35 PM
I was at a field on the 17th, and the refs there were rabid about keeping masks on. If you took your mask off while on the field, you sat for a game. If you did it again, you were told to leave. The field also had a very strict barrel plug policy. It was a good feeling to know the field cared about safety. I highly recommend that field.

BTW, that field is Strategy Plus in East Hampton, CT

AssassN
09-22-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by magman007
wow assn, im sorry but thats pretty stupid!

ya ya i know

The film was inside the lens so taht u had to take off the lens to get at it... we all know how hard it is to get off the lens.

Dye also sells blue tinted lenses so i thought i jsut got one of those.

Blazestorm
09-23-2002, 05:24 AM
At my field that I go to... its about 95% newbies playing for their first time and 5% of the people that own their own guns and play there regularly

Since I broke my arm, I've been taking pictures there and reffing a bit. They are extremely strict about the barrel plug and mask rule... all the refs almost at the exact same time screem GOGGLES ON/MASKS ON! when someone removes their mask on the field and at the exit of the field a ref stands at the door making sure everyone has a barrel plug in. and at the end of the game, even though all the markers are off the field and the refs are picking up the game equipment (flags, props and such) they still keep their masks on. I'd take mine off because it was a hot day and there weren't any markers within 200 feet of us... and I got yelled at. :eek:

Almost all fields are safe, if you go to a field where consistently, refs are slow at paintchecks... don't care about it... they don't yell repeatidly, run over to the player, and cover them if someone takes their mask off... don't go there! I've seen refs DIVE to protect someone who took their mask off during the game.

I've actually shot someone... and their mask went flying off! (Don't know how... 300fps top of the goggles) and I just ran over to the guy covered his head with my hands... grabbed his goggles and put them on him... I got shot about 20 times in the process, but I was glad that guy didn't get shot in the eyes, he was just a first timer... was scared to death... I'm just glad I'm not stupid otherwise that guy wouldn't be a regular at the field now, and be a really cool guy I know :)

Shirow
09-23-2002, 08:50 AM
The film was inside the lens so taht u had to take off the lens to get at it... we all know how hard it is to get off the lens.

You must have one of the older models - I bought Invisions a month or two ago and I could take off the film without removing the lenses.

ogre55
09-23-2002, 04:33 PM
I second the props for Strategy Plus in CT. Excellant fields. Great refs. All around good time.

I played there two weeks ago for the stock day and it was a blast. Back to old school. Got to get some play with my new Phantom VSC.

BTW: There will be another stock day on November 3. I don't want to hijack this thread so I will post details of the next stock game elsewhere.

Ogre

Cliffio
09-23-2002, 10:30 PM
if it was me that was reffing, they all would have been thrown out, i dont care, its unsafe, and someone WILL get shot

i'd throw em out

end of story

Cliff