PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Setup To Consume Less Air???

SingleShotGabe
09-23-2002, 01:21 PM
I want the Level 10. Will this Help out? I still want it if it does not help out...I want to be able to use at Max two fills through one day of standard rec. Playing. I go through close to one 2000 box in a days play ....I see myself airing up three - four times a day....

Here's my setup:
Retro Mag
Classic style Body Mag
Gas-Though Fore-Grip
Freak Barrel System
PMI T.H.O.R. Female Reg
PMI 68ci /5000 Psi Nitro Tank

My Uncle / Teammate also has to fill up three - four times a Days Rec. Play on a 2000 box...He Too would like the Level 10. Can the level 10 be used with his setup???

His Setup is:
Classic Valve
Galacticz Z-Body
Gas-Though Fore-Grip
Lapco Z-Body Barrel
ACI 68ci / 3000 psi Nitro Tank

Many Thanks In Advanced !!!

speedyejl
09-23-2002, 04:40 PM
Hi, I figure you will get about 1166shots off one fill.

Heres how I got that. I have a Retro, LX, and a 68/30(800psi output) tank. I get about 700shots from one fill.
Now here is the math.

700 * x
3000 * 5000

the above is equal to 1, then cross multiply, solve for x and you get 1166. This is an estimate but should be pretty accurate. O btw do you have all day air at your field?

Havoc_online
09-23-2002, 04:44 PM
The level 10 mod actually makes the marker slightly less efficent on air. It's a give/take expense for not having to worry about chopping.

for your set-up, take off the thor reg. you are starving the valve for air.

for your uncle's set-up the level 10 might have issue's with the bolt fitting in the body. You may be able to file the inside of the body a bit so the bolt fits but since I've never even seen the inside of the z-body, I'm not sure.

edit no two guns will use the exact amount of air, especially with all the different level 10 settings. What also makes a difference is if your even getting 5000 fills everytime you fill.

SingleShotGabe
09-23-2002, 09:43 PM
Havoc_online,
OK so lets say I get rid of PMI T.H.O.R. Female reg. How will I be able to Know at what pressure my Mag is operating on? There would be no gauge to show me at what pressure the Mag is running on....Or is there? If so where & how can I find out...Also if I upgraded to the Level 10 I'd also wasting more gas...Right??? You mentioned that there are alot of different setting for the Level 10, where on this site can I find all the different ways of setting up the Level 10....

Better Yet....How about this.... I want to maximize the performance of my Mag.....what would be the best way to consume less gas, Have less Ball Breaks at faster rates of fire....

Thanks In Advanced !!!

speedyejl
09-23-2002, 10:26 PM
Havoc your right that no two guns will have the same effincy but you will probably get around 1000shots or more. I don't think that it could be to radicaly different. You dont need to know what preassure your running your mag on also, it dosent help with any thing but knowing the preassure. Besides the mags reg brings the preassure down, and and the THOR is a discrace, its one of the most low flow inconsistat regs i know of,a CMI is the worst. Now your not wasting gas, your just using more, wasting would be drilling a hole in the air chamber.

Now for maximizing your mags performance, to consume less gas: just set up the mag so it worksm to have less ball breaks: get a LX, to get a faster ROF: get a Hyperframe or e-mag, (unless your really good with the heavy mechanical trigger on a retro)

Havoc_online
09-24-2002, 05:16 AM
You dont need to know what preassure your running your mag on also, it dosent help with any thing but knowing the preassure. sometimes that's key to finding out what's wrong with the marker, however the PMI is a preset so your output is most likly 850psi, that's all you need to know until the tank runs below that which you can simply read off the tank.
Besides the mags reg brings the preassure down A.I.R. valves regulate the pressure before the air goes into the dump chamber, on retro's the pressure effects recharge rate.

to answer your question, the level 10 consumes approx. 5-15% more gas but if set-up properly will be softer on paint than ANY other marker on the market. It SLIGHTLY lightens the trigger. If you get the kit, install the cut spring(you will know what I mean when you get it) that will be the best trade off in softness and gas as far as the settings. use the biggest carrier that doesnt leak with two shims.

You can't go wrong and you will wonder what you ever did without it. goto the classic thread "all level 10 info here" in paintball talk for all the dirt. (or just keep asking questions, we're all happy to help:)

Pand0ra
09-24-2002, 07:29 AM
With my Emag Xtreme C&C I can shoot the loader and 8-9 pods of 150 balls with one fill (with the level 10 installed, biggest spring and a velocity in the range of 298-299fps).
I use an Angel AIR 68ci at 4500psi.
So I'm near 1500 paintballs per fill, and this is with a setup running at the limit of the velocity allowed.

From my experience, there's a huge decrease of the efficiency when I use an output pressure over 700psi with this setup.
In my case, when I increase the pressure, the velocity starts to decrease. I think it's because I'm not working anymore at the most efficient pressure of the regulator.

@++

SingleShotGabe
09-24-2002, 08:16 AM
I'm sorry for sounding like a Newbie...But I am ....Im still new to Mags...

From my experience, there's a huge decrease of the efficiency when I use an output pressure over 700psi with this setup.

Can you post what your Mag setup has....Or is the "Xtreme" a packaged gun strait out the box? Reason why Im asking is because I would like to know, How you setup your output pressure....If I got rid of the T.H.O.R. reg the only thing I have left to mess around with would be the Retro Valve itstelf...But that is just gonna set the Velocity....Im right so far on this???

Havoc_online
Is the "KIT" another item aside from the Level 10?

speedyejl
I readup on the T.H.O.R. I read it to be a great Female reg for Nitro setups....But I guess I read into the wrong Forums....

Thank you all for helping out Newbies Like me....Not many forums treat Newbies like this.....

You Guys Rock !!!

Havoc_online
09-24-2002, 06:03 PM
How you setup your output pressure he said he had an Angel A.i.r. which is an adjustable tank. This can be done but you dont NEED to. You will be perfectly fine with nothing but the tank you have now going straight into the Retro valve.
Is the "KIT" another item aside from the Level 10? the level 10 kit:) (same thing)

Pand0ra
09-25-2002, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by SingleShotGabe
[B]I'm sorry for sounding like a Newbie...But I am ....Im still new to Mags...

We've all been newbie one day ;)

Can you post what your Mag setup has....Or is the "Xtreme" a packaged gun strait out the box? Reason why Im asking is because I would like to know, How you setup your output pressure....

Nothing very special at this level. It's just an upgrade of my old Emag.

On a retro valve, the output pressure changes the behavior of the trigger.
The highest the pressure, the quickest the trigger will return. In some cases it'll even start to bounce on your finger, achieving a kind of full auto.

The pressure changes also slightly the way the marker shoots. Check at this place for more informations:
http://www.airgun.com/rtchrono.shtml

If I got rid of the T.H.O.R. reg the only thing I have left to mess around with would be the Retro Valve itstelf...But that is just gonna set the Velocity....Im right so far on this???

Yep that's right

You Guys Rock !!!

We know, we know ;)

@++

Slapp
09-26-2002, 09:38 AM
For air efficiency you should also take a look at the barrel you are using. Many barrels are ported down most of their length meaning the air starts to vent earlier rather than continuing to accelerate the paintball down the barrel. By switching to a barrel that has a longer unported section such as a Lapco Bigshot you may experience greater efficiency without having to mess with your valve and bolt setup.

For instance, a 12 inch Dye Aluminum barrel has a little over 7 inches before the porting begins on the barrel compared to the Lapco Bigshot that has about 10 inches before the porting. Having the extra 3 inches of barrel for the air to continue accelerating the paintball should allow you to dial down the output pressure of the valve and still reach the same fps velocity. Less air used, same fps = more shots per tank.

The Z-body marker requires a large bore body for the spin function to work properly. I know Lapco makes a large bore barrel for the Z body but with the looser fit required to allow the paintball to spin you will lose some air efficiency compared to a tighter paint to barrel match.