PDA

View Full Version : loose LX powertube tip

Fritzy
09-23-2002, 10:01 PM
Used my LX classic for the first time this weekend. Talk about breathing new life into an old standby! Not one chop no matter what I did with it. Awesome.

Only problem was during the sixth game the gun stopped shooting. I didn't know what it was until I got off the field and stripped the gun. That is when I noticed the powertube tip had worked loose. Tightened it up and, bang, back in business.

The instructions were very clear about not overtightening, so I may have erred on the side of not tightening enough. I have since screwed it on with a little more authority, but I wonder if it is going to work loose again and I just need to check it periodically during the day.

Any thoughts? Is this common?

Thanks
Scott

virus
09-23-2002, 10:34 PM
i would have to say you got it.... probly just not enogh elbow grease the 1st time around... though with the lvX in it... always make sure the shims are flat against the carrier if it happens again before tightening back down......

joeyjoe367
09-23-2002, 11:47 PM
Personally, I say just tighten it down as tight as it will go, but just with your bare hands. It's seemed to work for me.

A bit of teflon tape couldn't hurt. You might want to try that out.

BlackVCG
09-24-2002, 01:09 AM
With some tips you kind of need to "chase" the threads with the new PT tip and then retighten it. Sometimes they'll go on a bit tight and seem to be good, but you want to tighten it, loosen it and then tighten it fully with a cresent wrench to make sure the threads are properly matched.

Fritzy
09-24-2002, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the responses. I gave it a bit of torque, we'll see if it stays put. If not, I may try the teflon tape.

speedyejl
09-24-2002, 04:07 PM
You should be fine with it tighter on. But if it comes out again dont use teflon tape. Though unlikley it is possible for teflon tape to go into the valve causing issues. I would recomend using Blue Loctite, it wont screw with your gun if properly put on the threads and the threads only, and dont wory about having a hard time getting it off, blue loctite can usally be broken by hand.