PDA

View Full Version : My Rainmaker

vf-xx
09-23-2002, 11:24 PM
Yes I have an emag. Yes I like it. It is, however, fun to tinker on a back up. This is it.

(sorry for the poor pict qualitiy, I'll try to fix it up later)

vf-xx
09-23-2002, 11:25 PM
next

vf-xx
09-23-2002, 11:26 PM
Yes that's a mag vert ASA and a rock LPR.

vf-xx
09-23-2002, 11:27 PM
Heres a close up just for Muzikman:

vf-xx
09-23-2002, 11:28 PM
and last one (I think)

dcmander
09-23-2002, 11:41 PM
Nice, always thought they were cool guns. Fun guns. But doens't the hopper so far back get annoying?

By Doc Nicel:

vf-xx
09-23-2002, 11:58 PM
Nah, I kinda like it. I think it's better balanced for 1 handed use.

Oh and i"m going to gut the stock reg and put on a palmer sideline.

Wc Keep
09-24-2002, 07:41 AM
i dont think you know how jealous i am right now. i so want a rainmaker and im not joking i really want one.

vf-xx
09-24-2002, 08:01 AM
Well, I'm not looking to sell, but if the price is right I'll sell it. It's got a select fire board, and like I said I've got a sideline reg sitting here getting ready to put on.

Wc Keep
09-24-2002, 10:20 AM
i really like the way you "pimped" out that rainmaker. i would actually like to do that myself but am not really inclined to do something like that. id probably blow it up. but if you were to sell it how much are you looking to sell it for? just to give me an idea of about how much i would be looking to shell out of it. also how much money/time have you invested into it?

Timmee
09-24-2002, 12:20 PM
Nice one, vf-xx. Is that a BMW trigger? How do you like it?

vf-xx
09-24-2002, 05:04 PM
WC: Once I get the X chamber on, get the reg gutted, and the sideline on I'd probably look for 300ish. I personally haven't put too much time into it yet. It came with alot of stuff on it, but I do have plans :D

Timmee: I think it's a BMW dunno for sure, came with it on. It's really nice tho!! I was plinking with it, and my friend was trying out his new mag. I decided to see how much it could rip, and it just took right off. Really light pull, and it helps that the trigger itself is pretty light (weightwise).

Now if I can just get that X chamber and an antisiphon tube in so I stop frezing over my rock i'll be all good.

I also plan to add air agitation to the hopper soon.

Automaggin2
09-24-2002, 05:32 PM
i was thinkin about gettin a RM as my winter tinker project. they are dirt cheap on PBgear

cris8762
09-24-2002, 06:09 PM
hey, have you seen the rainmaker online group?...they've got some pimp RM's there!!! most of the guys that are members, and the guy that started it play at a local NC field

last tourney, the head ref heard this one guy playing with his pimp RM and he was like "That thinkg sounds like a fricken flock of geese!!!" it was soo funny!

Kevmaster
09-24-2002, 09:53 PM
VF-xx:
that is a BMW Trigger....and a VERY nice RM
what do you post under at BEOG(if you dont post there: START! www.beog.org )

btw: while on the subject of posting RM pics....

http://www.samuraiforce.net/images/rainmaker.jpg

also, chris, dont forget my boy scotty(webmaster of the RMOG and my teamamte on Team HOD) yelling "Rainmaker Baby!" during a game after Danny Manning(the ref who said that earlier) yelled at him for his "Ugly Piece of **** Rainmaker"

Timmee
09-24-2002, 10:03 PM
I'm a member of the RMOG. That's where I've been getting a lot of ideas for my RM upgrade path.

AOWarrior
10-01-2002, 09:11 PM
older pic

Ov3rmind
10-01-2002, 09:52 PM
A little confused AOWarrior?

Anyway, I always thought am RM would be fun to tinker with (nice RM by the way!). I don't have the money for a project like that right now (behind several other projects, LOL), maybe in a few years.

vf-xx
10-01-2002, 09:54 PM
actually he's not confused. he was just posting that cause he wants to trade. It's all good.

Along the lines of project guns, the RM isn't as expensive as some, so long as you have access to a machine shop.

Kevmaster
10-01-2002, 10:01 PM
RM upgrades = cheap

yeh!
RMOG Super Store (www.samuraiforce.net/rainmaker)

Ov3rmind
10-01-2002, 10:44 PM
LOL, I see:D :o . I thought at first he was just trying to show off his gun (didn't see any indication that he was offering to trade).

Now that I've thought about it some more, I may actually get an RM for this Winter (when I paintball less frequently). I could get enough money for one, and get some upgrades and such to mess around with. I still wan't to sell my BM eventually and build a Merlin or Ripper Cocker, however, that is a much more expensive project than screwing around with a RM. It'd also be a good backup to my Cocker.

Kevmaster
10-02-2002, 07:42 AM
talk to my friends over at the Brass Eagle Owners Group (http://www.beog.org) . theyll tell you the best places to pick up a used RM and where you can get the upgrade parts

i love my RM

cris8762
10-02-2002, 09:11 PM
yeah kevin that was hilarious, but i wanted to see ur emag/halo/lvl10 combo in action more!

i didnt get to see you rock that bad boy much!:(

billmi
10-04-2002, 10:18 AM
The RM's a fun paintgun to tinker with, especially because you can find them for cheap, and surprisingly it performs pretty decently on the field.

They can get pretty compact, especially once you strip off extra stuff, like the back-block. Switching to a ProTeam 'mag grip, putting the MAC valve in the grip, and relying on the Revy for providing power and holding the electronics freed up more space.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

http://www.corin.com/bill/paintball/miscpics/micro_rm.jpg

Kevmaster
10-04-2002, 01:32 PM
Bill, your rainmaker is one of a kind. i really admire its ingenousness. however, i think the more traditional format of MAC right udner the ram on a Mac Mount, Battery in the tank cover and a regular board in the frame. you do need a bacblock tho to make it more compact. go with a vert reg...yeh...not a HORIZONTAL reg, jeez, what idiot would want one fo those? ;)

billmi
10-07-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by kevmaster
however, i think the more traditional format of MAC right udner the ram on a Mac Mount, Battery in the tank cover and a regular board in the frame.

Yep, layout is a personal preference issue.

you do need a bacblock tho to make it more compact.

No, the backblock makes it larger, not smaller. Get rid of it, and it will be smaller. If you're not mounting the main reg on the back, there's no need to have that block hanging off the back, or the back piece of the bolt cover, it's just extra metal hanging off the back.

go with a vert reg...yeh...not a HORIZONTAL reg, jeez, what idiot would want one fo those? ;)

I like that layout better - one of the configurations I had set up for a while had the unireg on a remote with the air system, which took even more off of the 'gun. But then you ended up using a remote, which is like having a big tatoo on your head that says "ROOKIE." :-)

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

vf-xx
10-07-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by billmi
But then you ended up using a remote, which is like having a big tatoo on your head that says "ROOKIE." :-)

Hey! I resent that! I make a remote look nice with my emag. Just toss the tank into a camel pack and run the remote line over a shoulder and it stays mostly out of the way, doesn't snag, and still leaves you pretty manuverable.

On another note, I gutted and drilled out my stock reg today. Yay! That stupid vent hole taps easily to a 12-24, but I wasn't able to find a set screw that size. So until I find one i'm just going to live with cutting down a normal machine screw *sigh* I'm also planning to move the rock to the back block. I've had trouble with it freezing over, so I figure that moving it should keep it safe. This way it'll have an xchamber and a reg between it and the tank so I figure it should work.

I'm also debating about trying to mod a z grip to fit on it. That just sounds like a cool mod hehe.

Kevmaster
10-07-2002, 08:45 PM
bill:
when i say backblock, id ont mean the whole backblock assy, i mean the backblock that is flush with your bolt cover(ok, so its not QUITE as compact as yours, but i dont have a big honkin website to pay me to make cool stuff). \

as for the "ZGrip" ive always wanted to take tat to the extreeme with EGuns. put the trigger on the bottom of the trigger guard. hgave it horizontal. it would be fine for me as i usually shoot with one hand holding the gun around the tank/reg part and one hand doing teh tapping of the trigger. well have ot see...that may be comming to a RM near you someday......

billmi
10-07-2002, 10:36 PM
when i say backblock, id ont mean the whole backblock assy, i mean the backblock that is flush with your bolt cover

That's the part I'm talking about. Putting it on doesn't make the RM smaller, it makes it bigger. Leaving it off, keeps it smaller - even then there's probably another 1/4" at least that could be milled off the back of the receiver.

i dont have a big honkin website to pay me to make cool stuff

Neither do I, it sure would be cool if I did.

as for the "ZGrip" ive always wanted to take tat to the extreeme with EGuns. put the trigger on the bottom of the trigger guard. hgave it horizontal. it would be fine for me as i usually shoot with one hand holding the gun around the tank/reg part and one hand doing teh tapping of the trigger. well have ot see...that may be comming to a RM near you someday......

That would be pretty cool.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

vf-xx
10-07-2002, 11:35 PM
That's the part I'm talking about. Putting it on doesn't make the RM smaller, it makes it bigger. Leaving it off, keeps it smaller - even then there's probably another 1/4" at least that could be milled off the back of the receiver.

Well personally I think the RM is short enough to begin with and its a given that I have an extremely different style of play from most people here (as I play woods/rec/scenerio not speedball/tourney) Besides is it useless to use the reg area as a volumizer for LP uses?

Kevmaster
10-08-2002, 10:38 AM
VF, its not at all worthless, however i choose to get a little block on there to make it a bit smaller. you know, many will cap the reg with a smaller cap as opposed to the large cap that comes stock. i choose to go with an aftermarket block

vf-xx
10-08-2002, 11:11 AM
Ok it's been bugging me Kev. What's all the milling around the barrel reciever?

Timmee
10-08-2002, 02:30 PM

No, the backblock makes it larger, not smaller. Get rid of it, and it will be smaller. If you're not mounting the main reg on the back, there's no need to have that block hanging off the back, or the back piece of the bolt cover, it's just extra metal hanging off the back.

How do you keep your bolt cover on if the back piece of it is gone?

Polishpickles451
10-08-2002, 03:20 PM
I don't get how this gun works. Is it some kinda of electro cocker?

billmi
10-08-2002, 03:37 PM
I put a thumbscrew in the side of the cover that engages in one of the intents in the rail left behind from when the upper receiver was drilled for the bolts that connect it to the lower receiver.

You grab the screw, give it a twist (about 3/4 turn - for fast unlocking and locking - about 3 turns if you want the screw snug) and the cover slides off. The same to lock it down after removing the cover. You might be able to tap for and instal a 'cocker ball detent in the same spot that would lock it the way the ball lock on the back does, but I don't think there's enough room for that (nor have I ever taken the bolt cover off in a game to worry about the time difference in a couple of turns on a thumb screw).

As for *needing* to get rid of the back block, I don't think it's *necessary*, it's just a way to minimize overall length. Mainly when I said to get rid of the backblock, I was responding to Kevmaster who said "you do need a bacblock tho to make it more compact," which didn't make sense, considering that putting a backblock on would make it larger not smaller.

And vf-xx said "I make a remote look nice with my emag. "...

From a technical standpoint, I think remotes are a great idea - the 'gun is lighter and easier to carry and aim. However, the reality is if you play at a field where amateur and pro players play, or show up at an amateur or open class tournament, and you are using a remote, you will be percieved as a rookie, because they are no longer "hip" technology, just like if you were wearing BDUs or using CO2. They may do the job very well, but they will also effect how you are percieved.

And I just downloaded MindGuard from aminet, and will drop it into one of my A4Ks :-)

See you on the field,
-Bill "Yes, I used to work for C=" Mills

Warped Designs
10-08-2002, 04:37 PM
Very nice Rainmakers
And whats up Kev no time no see.
I should have pics of my rainmaker up sooner or later hopefully before the end of month.
(I will link the page or attach the file maybe both).

vf-xx
10-08-2002, 05:06 PM

And I just downloaded MindGuard from aminet, and will drop it into one of my A4Ks :-)

LOL!!! I havent had my 2500 up in SOOO long. If you're interested i've got a 500 with external hard drive, and a 2500 with accelerator.

Have you read about the Black Helicopters yet? :D

Back to the subject. I've seen mods to fit mag triggers to the RM, would the best way be to make a "body rail" for the rm? Maybe move the board up there and just screw in mag frames to that?

Kevmaster
10-08-2002, 06:18 PM
VF: that is milling. i just havnt had the time(ok, the real reason is im getting my CNC and RM annoed together to match) to get it re annoed yet. it does look like crap now, but wait till its gold and black :) **cue evil laugh**

as for how a rm works. an "electro cocker" is a VERY common misperception. its more like an autotriggering pump gun with the ram as the pump arm. i dont know if that makes sense, but heres a diagram:
http://rainmaker.flipty.com/images/ani_rain_cut_slow.gif

Warped Designs
10-09-2002, 11:06 AM
Best explanation of what a rainmaker is that I have come up with is

"The rainmaker is the bastard child of a autococker and a vector"

It more favors the Vector because of
the anti pinch (unlike the vector the user does not need to reset it)
Bolt is back in the cocked position
4 way (solenoid) valve
Hammer and bolt are released at a given point after the trigger pull
Sound is actually made by the mechanics of the marker (changine barrels only helps so much)

Similarities with Autocockers
barrel thread
ram (even if it is electro timed)
vertical feed

Shared with both Autocockers and Vectors
relative positions of the bolt (upper chamber), hammer, main valve, springs (lower
chamber)
Cocks itself when gased up
Runs on low pressure
fires from a closed bolt (the bolt seals the breech before the gas is released on Vectors and Rainmakers)

billmi
10-09-2002, 11:49 AM
The Rainmaker is the second generation Vector. It was designed by the same person who designed the Vector. Operationally it is identical to the Vector with the exception that the Vector's multicomponent trigger sear and control valve were replaced by an electropneumatic control valve and electronics.

Basically, he refined the Vector design by going to Cocker threaded barrels, and modular construction (several of the Vector components had to be custom machined for each gun). The RM's ram wasn't "taken" from the Autococker, it's the same ram layout and mounting method as used on the Vector (though one could argue that the 'Cocker and Palmer conversions used rams becore the Vector did).

Both the Vector and the RM are loud and innefficient in their air usage because It releases gas when it fires, and a second little "burp" when the hammer is pressed up against the valve during the cocking stroke, before the sear locks. Using a PACT shot counter, which counts shots based on sound, it allways counts double when measuring the ROF on an RM :-)

Like the Vector before it, the Rainmaker is an open bolt paintgun. "Open bolt" and "closed bolt" refer to bolt position at rest. Because of mid-90s hype about closed bolt paintguns being more accurate (and many of the open bolt semis of the day were less accurate than many closed bolt semis and pumps of the day, it was just due to overall design rather than bolt position) Air Power (makers of the Vector) used to say the Vector was a "Simulated Closed Bolt" paintgun, which is just market-speak for "open bolt." All paintguns, open bolt or closed bolt, fire while the breech is sealed by the bolt, not while it is open. The Rainmaker and Vector additionally fire a second burst of gas when the bolt is all the way open, but due to bolt layout, it doesn't get blasted straight down the center of the barrel.

Note also, the Autococker does not cock itself when gassed up. The trigger on the Autococker must be cycled in order to cock it, or the cocking rod must be actuated manually (but most folks cock it with the trigger, because that moves the bolt as well, to chamber the first ball).

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

folder504
10-09-2002, 01:17 PM
Ah, more Rainmaker owners. I love mine.

CobraC
10-09-2002, 01:29 PM
Hahahahahaha... VF doesnt have a mag, he doesnt even play paintball. His mom wont let him so he tells us he does, just so we think he is cool.

vf-xx
10-09-2002, 04:03 PM
ha ha cobra. Here's my emag: http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51041

I"m honestly surprised that my rm is getting more feedback than my emag, as I think i've done some pretty radical stuff to the emag
but oh well.

Today i finally finished tapping all the holes on the gutted reg so tonight it goes together. yay!

Kevmaster
10-09-2002, 05:12 PM
agreed bill. the RM really has nothing in common with the cockerthat other guns dont also share(vert feed, cocker barrel threads, rams--yes an impy/bushy have rams).

it is truely an airstar vector with the triger/sear action electricized(mmm...sure!) and is also very close to an autotriggering pump marker(when you are pulling the trigger constantly and pumping it back and forth)

a couple of people have made grip frame adapters for the RM to adapt Angel or Bushy girps onto the RM. so long as you can fit the board in there and the grip can be fitted with a microswitch on the trigger, i dont see why ANY grip frame cant be put on there. www.geocities.com/badmojowerks will do this kind of a block for you.

ScottQ
10-29-2002, 11:03 PM
Rainmaker!? Yes please!

I own the Rainmaker Owners Group over at the BEOG. Check it out http://rainmaker.flipty.com

I am also Kevmasters teammate!

Chris-that was me at the tournament using the tricked RM :)

http://rainmaker.flipty.com/images/scottrm.jpg
http://rainmaker.flipty.com/images/scottrm2.jpg

I have all the BMW upgrades such as the blade trigger w/ switch, Delrin bolt,macmount, SS bolt link etc. Milling, Ano, Polished internals, Superflow fittings, Milled cupseal stem, Lapco Barrels, lapco vert feed, ANS Jackhammer 2, AA vigilante with LP spring, Dynaflow 68/45, Bushmaster Eclipse highrise, KM2 Galeforce with blue led.

Bill Mills has nothing on me ;)

I am currently building a RM which will have a Ir3 gripframe, and annoed to match my other RM.

vf-xx
11-21-2002, 08:46 AM
well if anybody is interested looks like i'm going to have to sell my RM. If anybody's intersted gimme a pm.

penndragonn2001
11-28-2002, 03:57 AM
Hey DCMander,

I have a rainmaker also as a backup to my Micro....mine is all stcok. Is it possible you could describe to me in detail how you did all the mods and where to get the parts and what exactly their called....It all looks too much out of my league, unless I have really specific instructions or plans right in front of me. Any way you could see your way to furnish me with all that?? I'd really appreciate it...I love my RM, Love seeing the expression on peoples faces when I tag their expensive Angel with my cheapo Brass Eagle RM Electro!!!!! :-) Got it online for 169 bucks too!! Already has a double trigger...and I even modified it...extremely light trigger pull now. Removing that reg on the back looks complicated, and all those regs or valves you added makes it look very complicated...But its a sweet looking Puple RM!!! Thanks in advance

CpSuPeRkId
11-28-2002, 05:38 PM
hey is that ACE rigged on that amazingly sweet purple RM???? i see what looks like an ACE wire for an angel lcd. by the way, if i had the cash id pay 500 bucks for that purple rainmaker. id use it as a backup to my ir3 and to show off. seriously, that is one of the sweetest guns ive ever seen. and i recently shot a rainmaker this past weekend and i have to admit it shot pretty darn sweet. looks like ill be picking one up for xmas. maybe ill put some money into it for fun!!!!

penndragonn2001
11-28-2002, 05:52 PM
Hey Scott,

Could you read my reply, and send me the info on your upgrades?

Jonno06
11-28-2002, 07:09 PM
This thread has made me want a RM so bad now...

I can use my cocker barrels on my RM if I get one?

how much does a new RM cost?

how is the trigger? Are they fast? Reliable?

im thinking of a RM as my rec gun...

benzy2
11-28-2002, 07:40 PM
The rainmakers cost 99 bucks at pbgear.com and if you buy over 100 dollars they give you free shipping! The triggers are ok stock but for 50 bucks you can have a new switch and a new 3way adjustable trigger(i think it is 3 way adjustable). yes cocker barrels fit on a rain maker. What a frickin deal!!

penndragonn2001
11-28-2002, 11:42 PM
Hey VF,

Any way you could see your way to telling me EXACTLY how you did all those mods? I have a RM with the double trigger. You really trimmed that marker down bigtime!! I want to be able to do same to mine...but not very adept at doing that sort of thing...If I could find out where you got the parts...what has to be milled...you know, the whole nine yards. I know its a lot to ask, but I checked the BEOG and I get alot of technical feedback that is pretty much useless to me....any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Kevmaster
11-29-2002, 04:35 PM
penn, see my other thread

penndragonn2001
11-29-2002, 09:48 PM
Hey Kev,

You've been a big help. Thanks for all the particulars...just one thing...how do you replace that reg at the rear??? thats my biggest concern. and is that a new grip frame you have on there, and where does the veritcle asa attach too??? Sorry for all the questions, just want to get it right Kev, thanks again.

Kevmaster
11-29-2002, 10:00 PM
as for the reg/back block

it comes stock with a Regulator assy(the upper part) and a LP reg assy. you can remove those two with the two screws right in front of them on the left hand side(looking from the back). then you can put on a GDD Backblock or a VooDooCustom Paintball DeadEnd. the GDD is no longer made, but you can find them around BEOG occasionally for ~60. the VooDoos are just coming out and only one or two have been made to date, but the seem promicing(Dan at VooDoo has promiced me one to test).

as for the trigger frame, no, its a stock trigger frame, i just have a MPP Mac Mount attatched through the front hole on the grip frame. t hats the silver part ont he end of it. this allows you to mount the mac(hence the name--and thus removeing the zip ties and shroud) and put a Mag Vert adapter on there. VooDoo makes one aswell that takes a micrococker ASA on the front. i prefer the versatility of the MPP, but the VooDoo one is great aswell.

hey, PM me if you have more questions or post them on the BEOG Site. im happy to answer them, id just rather not take up forum space with personal conversation.

penndragonn2001
11-29-2002, 11:17 PM
Hey Kev,

Thanks for all the info...it really helps....I'll remember what you said about the posts....see ya dude.

Micromag5371
11-30-2002, 12:13 AM
hey i just bought a RM over at actionvillage.com and i havnt gotten it yet, but i want to know where i can purchase a Bimba Ram(i heard theeyre pretty inexpensive) but i dont know here to find one, i tried searching yahoo but they turned up hebrew info on it.
anyhoo, how does everybody like theyre rainmakers that owns one on these boards?
$99 you can go wrong but i want to know what kind of potential RM's have after you pump them up some

any help/info is appreciated, thanks

Kevmaster
11-30-2002, 12:21 AM
well, if you look at my specs...i have 7 parts that are in some way shape or form stock...but ALL have SOME modification to it....so i have ZERO parts that have been left unmodified or replaced.

i love mine, its a GREAT backup to my XMag(when it arrives)

you can get Bimba Rams, as Clippard ones are just as good...there have been some tests done and the best ID is the stokc size, the only advantage of a Bimba or Clippard is that you can get bumpers in them to quite the operation