PDA

View Full Version : How do I ship my gun to Canada?

Koosh
09-24-2002, 05:45 PM
Ok, I made a deal to trade my Race-Cocker for a SFL emag... I am in the US, and he is in Canada...

I just went to go ship it out today, but they said that it was classified as a "Firearm" and that it would be confiscated when it went through customs...

How can I ship my gun then? I was thinking of just taking it apart, and shipping it in two different pieces, but I the other guy isnt too into cockers, so it might not be put back together right...

Any ideas? Or do I have to find another person willing to trade guns?

magman007
09-24-2002, 05:49 PM
first off, i assume your trading with wade? i almost bought that gun, but i couldnt justify owning the marker of my dreams, in the color of my nightmares, that baby poop green.

2nd off, ship USPS it is worth it.

33d off, good luck with the SFL!

Koosh
09-24-2002, 05:52 PM
Are you kidding? Baby poop green is what it is all about!

And yes, it was with Wade... But USPS will allow me to ship it?

PigSweat
09-24-2002, 06:23 PM
Ok, DO NOT ship anything but regular mail. It'll take longer, but it will allow it to slip "under the radar." Second, be creative in labeling it. Put Sporting Goods-Paintball marker. Do not mention gun at any point.

Under Canadian law, it is not technically a firearm, but one glimpse of the word "gun", and it'll be over.

Duke Henry
09-24-2002, 06:39 PM
Also, remember that if you ship USPS, you can't ship to a street address if the recipient has a P.O. Box and lives in the sticks. I should know, I live in the sticks and Canada Post (who will end up delivering it) will only get it to me if it is sent to the P.O. Box...

Strider
09-24-2002, 10:08 PM
Mark it as exactly as it is.

"Used Paintball Marker"

There shouldn't be any problems. I had my emag sent that way and had no problems using USPS.

DO NOT USE UPS to Canada.

Dragoon
09-25-2002, 06:18 AM
I've had many a marker shiped across the boarder. The easiest, fastest, and cheapest is USPS.

Just do like Strider said and mark it as a used marker, or even used sporting equipment.

I've never encountered any problems mailing items to and from the US.

Douglas

mrhooie
09-25-2002, 09:37 AM
I've used Fedex, UPS and USPS

USPS takes longer, is cheaper and less headaches

So to add nothing to what's been said, mark it as sporting equipment, paintball marker etc...etc...

I had NPS mark a PT Extreme as a PISTOL and had my 2 day UPS delayed 15 days. And still got dinged with the premium shipping.

I get stuff from AGD and G3paintball - USPS can't be beat

mykroft
09-25-2002, 11:18 AM
USPS as said earlier, mark sporting goods-paintball marker.

Note that the recipient is going to get nailed for PST & GST at the rate it's insured for or the listed value, so if you aren't insuring, list the value as $100CDN.

PigSweat
09-25-2002, 01:11 PM
That reminds me, check off that it is a gift, and the recipient will pay less/no duty.

Koosh
09-25-2002, 03:03 PM
Cool, thanks for the help guys! We agreed to ship our guns UPS, but I think I'll just use the Post office... it sounds like that is less of a hassle...

So I will send it Registered mail, insured, and tracked, marking it as a Gift under sporting goods: Paintball Marker. And doing that will guarantee that it will get there...

What is the Duty? I mean, how much will it be? I would like to just reimburse him for that amount (slip in some money in the box), and will I have to pay it when my gun arrives?

omni
09-25-2002, 03:55 PM
Duty is the devil!

Its the Tax we have to pay when we get stuff from other countires.

UPS charges the most, and I hate them. They over charged me one time.

Basically when I won a Intelliframe from AGD, they sent it to me UPS, and the lovely UPS man charged me $64 on top of the intelli, even tho it was free, as it wasn't marked as a gift.

Its brokerage(UPS) / Government Sales Tax / Provincial Sales Tax.

omni
09-25-2002, 04:01 PM
If you mark it as a gift, he wont pay GST/PST, but only brokerage.

Dragoon
09-25-2002, 05:19 PM
You won't even pay brokerage if you send it by USPS.

Also, I'm fairly certain you will only be charged the tax on new items. I don't think used items are taxed.

The best thing is just to mark it as a gift if your willing to streatch the truth a little. :D

Douglas

Koosh
09-25-2002, 05:23 PM
it IS a gift!

I am GIVING him my gun, he is GIVING me his gun! It works out!

TNS2k2
09-25-2002, 06:34 PM
Okay take it from me i have shipped alot of guns and stuff from Canada to the US. what i have found is that if you send your cocker through USPS that is the best way. send it xpress it will take 4 days. call it a Marker and send as Gift. he will have to pay something even though it is sent as gift because of the value of the marker. the only way to avoid him paying is if you only placed the value of the marker below $100 USD. and if it got lost that is all that insurance would cover. that is the down side. I never again am gonna trade from the US. that is too much of a hassle. by the way USPS is the best way.