PDA

View Full Version : closed vs. open bolt

thevilduk
09-26-2002, 04:35 PM
for all the biased people out there....

this is from warpig i don't know if you all saw it or what but i think its a good little test. Notice the automag and cocker in there.

Where's the bolt?!?!
A WARPIG Ballistic Labs report.

Some open bolt paintguns:

VM-68
Tippmann Pro-Lite
Tippmann Model 8
Angel
Bushmaster 2000
Stingray
Splatmaster
Z-1 and Mega-Z
Viper M1
Automag
PMI Piranh (semi auto)

Some closed bolt paintguns:

PMI Trracer
Phantom
Typhoon
PMI Piranha (pump)
WGP Autococker
Kingman Hammer
Sterling

The conclusions:

By testing under controlled circumstances we were able to isolate the subject of our test (the bolt operation) from the other variables involved. Firing our marker as an open bolt, blowback operated semi-automatic, we found the same level of accuracy, as when firing as a manually operated closed bolt marker. Our conclusion - the great "inherent accuracy" of closed bolt markers over open bolt markers is a myth.

Taken from Warpig.com

shartley
09-26-2002, 04:46 PM
Very old news here on AO (understatement). ;) But thanks for brining it up again. :)

rx2
09-26-2002, 07:25 PM
Sometimes even old news has gone unread. This is made apparent by the perpetuation of the debate, even on this forum (due in part to the influx of members). So, to reiterate what SHartley has said, thanks for bring this back up.

Angry Man
09-26-2002, 08:28 PM
Yeah, very old news. Also, it's a stingray and it's not gonna be terribly accurate no matter what you do to it.

As far as I'm concerned no one's proved anything either way, but closed bolt really shouldn't make much of a difference...still, I was firing my cocker today and it did shoot kinda different from other markers I've fired, maybe it was just shooting hot I hope not, though because it's nice.

That said, I think it doesn't make a difference, and if it does it's so nominal that something like a new barrel or good paint would be 100 times more important.

xmetal2001
09-26-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by shartley
(understatement).

thats an understatement.
:)

TheTramp
09-27-2002, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Angry Man
Yeah, very old news. Also, it's a stingray and it's not gonna be terribly accurate no matter what you do to it.

You've missed the whole point.

cphilip
09-27-2002, 10:20 AM
TheTramp, please edit your original post to link to the article. I am going to edit out some of it. Bill would rather you quote from it and link it than to take the whole thing and place it elswhere.

TheTramp
09-27-2002, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure what you mean (or you've made a little mistake ;)). I didn't start the thread or post the artical. I was simply responding to someone who read the artical and posted something that I thought missed the point.

I do understand Bill wanting links to his stuff though.

cphilip
09-27-2002, 10:42 AM
Oh Crimey! Sorry about that tramp... http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/togo.gif

Same at you autoduk. Would like to see a link there if we can.

*ArKfEaR*
09-27-2002, 04:07 PM
I did this before: no one still believed me. Just ended up into a big flame war. Its cool though, im in the works of a video hopefully.

Havoc_online
09-27-2002, 11:04 PM
I did this before: no one still believed me. Just ended up into a big flame war. Its cool though, im in the works of a video hopefully. Dude, plz. I don't have the energy for another one of this debates, last time you thought you could teach us all a lesson, you could'nt even come-back from my point of view, face it you couldnt argue the point and didnt know enough of what you were doing to fight the subject(if you did, you wouldnt of used middle school insults to combat physics.). Make a video, I'll prove you wrong again.

*ArKfEaR*
09-27-2002, 11:29 PM
Havoc lol, I explained everything perfectly. I defended it well by myself as with a couple other believers. You guys were just in denial so all you could think up was childish remarks :(

Its true. Don’t reply to this cause we will just end up going on and on, turning this one into another war.

Ignore me after all I'm an inferior elf to your gnome