PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone have trouble with Air Tanks on Airplanes at Shatnerball?

aaron_mag
09-27-2002, 12:20 AM
I know this was discussed quite a bit before Shatnerball (see Shartley I did search:D).

I wanted, however, to get updated information. I am going to a wedding in PA and want to play at Skirmish. Used to empty out my compressed air tank and take it on the plane before the enhanced security. With the new security, however, I don't want to be pulled off the plane, etc.

Anyone have any problems? Hopefully not and I can just empty it out and check it on the flight.

Paintballer86
09-27-2002, 05:56 AM
Ship it to your friends house. that is the safest way that you can do it.

Havoc_online
09-27-2002, 06:00 AM
didnt have any trouble for Shatnerball or IAO

just make sure the tank is empty and on, if it's a screw-in, leave a asa on it and explain there's no way for it to build pressure if given any trouble.

manike
09-27-2002, 06:46 AM
Nope, nor with the 16 markers I brought over... :eek:

manike

Load SM5
09-27-2002, 07:25 AM
I packed my gun and tank in a nice large foam filled metal case, after bleeding all the air out and leaving the on/off open. Make sure the case locks and check it through. If anyone asks it's sports gear. You are'nt lying so don't worry. Never mention the word "gun". If they ask to look at it, be polite and cooperative. You have done nothing illegal, so don't act like it, and you'll be fine.

spazzed
09-27-2002, 07:46 AM
Listen to the guys, they know what they're talking about.

I didn't have any problems whatsoever.

TheTramp
09-27-2002, 09:26 AM
I even brought my Retro valve in my carry on (at least I'd still have that if they lost my suitcase). After the x-ray they made me empty my backpack and asked what it was. I told them it was a $300 air regulator I didn't want to risk in my check-in and off I went no problem.

Shirow
09-27-2002, 10:15 AM
I'm personally suprised they are good about carrying air tanks onto planes - you could fit a lot of explosives into one. I don't think they should totally refuse to let people take them on (you could fit a lot of explosives into a lot of things) but I see the inherent problems for airport security in a large solid, metal container that can't be opened.

aaron_mag
09-27-2002, 10:45 AM
Thanks. I'll pack it (over my wife's objections:D ) Kind of agree with Shirow but if they don't have a problem with it that is great. It will make the trip alot more fun. Didn't want to use a rental.

shartley
09-27-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by aaron_mag
I know this was discussed quite a bit before Shatnerball (see Shartley I did search:D).
ahhhh It does a heart good. :)

I am glad you also got the answers you were looking for. :D

manike
09-27-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Shirow
I'm personally suprised they are good about carrying air tanks onto planes - you could fit a lot of explosives into one. I don't think they should totally refuse to let people take them on (you could fit a lot of explosives into a lot of things) but I see the inherent problems for airport security in a large solid, metal container that can't be opened.

The X-ray machines can see into the tanks. And if they aren't happy about what they see on the screen, they'll open up the bags and physically check them.

It's not something to worry about. But to make it easy I travel with the regs off my tanks (not so easy with USA tanks which are loctited on...)

manike

Dayspring
09-27-2002, 11:41 AM
When are you playing at Skirmish? Just curious cuz I'm always up for a trip there. :D (If I may recommend- Play the Castle, Z-Swamp, Hemlock, Alamo & Hood in the Woods. All of these fields are awesome. Hemlock & Z-Swamp are woods. The rest are wooded structure fields.)

And BTW- don't feel alone, I have to pack my tank for the SC AO Day in about a month.

So on a screw in tank, could you take the fill nipple off and use that to allow it to equalize pressure? Or is the asa the easiest way?

Originally posted by aaron_mag

I wanted, however, to get updated information. I am going to a wedding in PA and want to play at Skirmish. Used to empty out my compressed air tank and take it on the plane before the enhanced security. With the new security, however, I don't want to be pulled off the plane, etc.

Anyone have any problems? Hopefully not and I can just empty it out and check it on the flight.

Load SM5
09-27-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Dayspring
So on a screw in tank, could you take the fill nipple off and use that to allow it to equalize pressure? Or is the asa the easiest way?

ASA would be easiest, so if they do look, you can prove the tank is empty.

aaron_mag
09-27-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Dayspring
When are you playing at Skirmish?

Probably Saturday October 12th (the day after the wedding) or the 13th. It will be good to pack my gear.

By the way someone mentioned sending the tank to my cousin's house. Imagine explaining to him on the phone, "I know that you will be busy with the wedding and everything but could you also look out for a package for me and sign for it. Yeah put it aside along with all those wedding gifts etc." Not really a good plan....:p