PDA

View Full Version : Tourney coming up... not pleased with mag.

Vegeta
09-30-2002, 03:31 PM
I can't believe I am wrting this.. but...

Last month I went out and played some real hardcore ball with my mag. I really enjoyed the experience, except there were a few minor p[orlems that, might possibly, have lost me a few games.

I am using co2. I would like to switch to N2, but there arn't any places to get n2 fills around here. The local filed only fills co2 (and does a poor job at that).

I was seeing considerable shootdown while playing, even thought it was 95 degrees out. I have tried expansion chambers and do not like them. They reserve too much gas and make degassing with a pin valve tank a *****.

All day I saw my friend usign a spyder perform flawlessly.

I have also been in the market for an electro for a while. I thought about getting a booyah or elcd frame for my mag.. but I figured it would just add to my shootdown problems even more.

I see now that there are e99 and spyders down in the 150$ range and am actually thinking about getting one. I am forming a team for a coming tourney and I have the only mag. The field I play ta rents mags, and I am looking for somehting to differient myself from the people renting.

I'm not sure if I really want to get a new gun.. but I am not sure of how well my mag will peform in cold weather up against these kids with 140$ e-spyders that work great on co2.....

Halliday
09-30-2002, 03:37 PM
Have you tried cleaning the reg seat and oiling the marker to get rid of the shootdown?

What kind of co2 tank? Mounted how? Last summer, in a hot July, I had poor performane using a Mag w/ a vert 9oz Brass Eagle co2 tank. When I treid a 20oz no-name tank it was much better.

yeahthatsme
09-30-2002, 03:57 PM
e-99s are on sale on paintballgear.com for $125. :)

rhetor22
09-30-2002, 04:03 PM
if ur gunna run co2, you NEED an X. At least an anti siphon!! I don't have anti siphon yet, but i'll get it as soon as I have some free time to make a fitting.

If you don't want to use an expansion chamber or anything, then get the spyder. It'll work much better on co2.

HoppysMag
09-30-2002, 04:05 PM
the gun , no mater what kind it is, never looses the game, its the person behind the gun that looses the game... mags need HPA to perform great if you cant do HPA dont use a mag, and so what if an xchamber aint great on degassing... if you want a high performance gun you gotta get high performance accesorys. if you aint up to that than dont get a nice gun.

and if you get HPA then you will never have problems with cold weather... dont blame the gun...

Edited part is in bold, i thought most people would be able to comprehend what i ment but i guesse not.

FreshmanBob
09-30-2002, 04:19 PM
Back a few years ago with my original mag i used co2 and found a few things that can really help.
Definately invest in an antisiphon tank, the bigger the better. You want a good 16 or 20 oz tank to be a few ounces under filled to act as a large expansion chamber. The larger tank has a larger area to absorb heat an expand the co2.
Also, those 8 hole mods an on/off tops that everyone says are useless can really make a difference with co2. I don't know why, but they really did it for me but I don't need them with n2. Get your self an aluminum 8 hole an one of the ANS 15 dollar on/off tops and that will help a lot. It will also lighten up the gun a bit.

Jack Napier
09-30-2002, 06:04 PM
My old minimag worked great on Co2. I'm not so sure about the size, but I used a 4oz tank as an expansion chamber. That tank/expansion recieved a lot of wierd looks. So to say mags only work on N2 is ignorant.

rhetor22
09-30-2002, 06:13 PM
when using straight co2, and firing more than 100 balls in a minute... i'd say mags flat out suck.

I run co2 with mine, but i have an X. It makes a huge difference. Its still nothing like n2, but its oh so much better than straight co2.

I don't quite understand how its that much of a pain to degass with an X when it improves performance so much, but thats your preference, and i can't tell you otherwise.

DO NOT get a booyah if you're gunna use co2. That aint gunna happen.

If you don't want to get an X, remote, or antisiphon, then an electro spyder would make you much happier. They're also cheaper. I'm sure you could find someone to trade their spyder for your mag + cash.

Just my advice. :)

HoppysMag
09-30-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Jack Napier
My old minimag worked great on Co2. I'm not so sure about the size, but I used a 4oz tank as an expansion chamber. That tank/expansion recieved a lot of wierd looks. So to say mags only work on N2 is ignorant.

Where in there did i say it only works on HPA? all im saying is if he wants the best performance he has to put in the best stuff. and if i was you i would read AND comprehend what it is others said before you talk and start calling people ignorant.

EDIT: i edited my first post to make it easy to understand

FrAuStY
09-30-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by yeahthatsme
e-99s are on sale on paintballgear.com for $125. :)

Just out of curiosity, why did you only post a response, that would lead him to buy equipment other than agd? Why not post that, and also try to help him with his current problem? I mean as said before.. this is AUTOMAGS.ORG right.. not E-99Spyder.org or whatever...

Anyway,

vegeta.. not sure if this will help or not..but who knows. Try tightening the velocity adjuster all the way in, the back it out and re-chrono the gun. It could be that the spring cold cold enough to bind up.. now it doesn't regulate as consistently. The reason I say this is I know several people who play here in Florida (80-105*) almost year round, and never have any problems. I also remember in the manual about consistent shootdown problems and it was attributed to the reg spring binding (sticking) in the adjuster. The correction would be as I explained.

As said before try the exchamber... also..don't know if you knew this or not.. but with an x chamber.. if you dry-fire the gun while unscrewing the tank.. it will lower the pressure released and keep your o-ring damage to a minimal.
The problem is not the gun. A friend and I shot 1000 rds with his mag.. nothing fancy, regular old automag 68.. on a non-anti siphon 20 co2. No problems.. no shootdown what-so-ever.

Personally I love mags.. everything about them. Simplicity, reliability, cost, maintainence(or lack thereof ;)), and the looks are kinda sexy in the own unique way :cool:. I do however dislike seeing people sell their MAG for a FRICKIN SPYDER! C'mon. Everyone should know that when it comes down to it.. mags are higher quality guns than spyders. Thats like selling a ferrari to buy a kia think about it. If anything buy HPA and a scuba, you'll never look back. That's my 2 pennies

*ArKfEaR*
09-30-2002, 07:10 PM
You can run c02 on a mag you just need to know how.

Some kind of Air filter, i believe AKA makes a good one.

Male Palmer Stabalizer.

Female Palmer stabilizer/ maxflow reg (if you can find one)

And you will be fine.

I seen a really nice mag on Co2.

Chrome Minimag V/F Body.
Chrome Eclipse Body Kit.
Chrome Kapp ASA
Nickel Palmer Stabilizer
Nickel Intelliframe ( black dye stickies)
Evolution II
Level 10
SS Hoses
Full freak SS new style back, 12" teardrop black tip
Black Shocktech micro drop
Silver New Style Max-flow reg from Imuplse.(kid luckily had a tricked silver imp and used AIR with gladiator reg so no maxflow needed)

It rocked +/- 4 - 5 All day long.
He also used one of those 68 cu shocker Co2 tanks as well.

I saw him at the feild about a week ago. Cool kid, and new what parts goes good with. He had alot of guns as well, and i asked him why he had nitro on all his other guns but his mag. He said he build it this way cause first off he knew it would perform great with most of the parts, especially with mags rep, so he said why not make a really good mag but on c02 to prove that they can run on c02 as well.

He had some kind of slide check + quick disconnect + air filter before entry into mag A.I.R valve.

Vegeta
09-30-2002, 07:58 PM
Hey don't get me wrong- I haev been a part of these forums for a long time. I would not get rid of my mag. But seeing a guy with a spyder, with a e-frame, running co2... thru a remote that was hte size of ircoline.. and not having hardly any shootdown, made me envious.

One time i ran the snake... all the way down, till i got near the end. I snapped and shot about 10 rounds, real fast, and a man near the center, then went down, and turned my target to the guy wit hthe e-spyder behind this bunker. He ran out and i went to shoot... my first ball went about 20 feet, boucing at the guy's feet, and the second ball went maybe ten feet. I got hit 3 times in the lower mask/neck area from him.

My day hadn't been going well. I didn't really feel safe around the fillign shack with some idiot filling without any form of measurement...

Then my marcoline blew, which I know I shouldn't have been using marco with co2, but it was all that I had... my steel braided hose isn't quite long enough and interferes with my trigger finger.... but I ended up having to intall it.

Overall everything else went great. I got about the same elims as the guy with the e-spyder, but I was not up to par....

And my whole team uses sypders and it seem's I am hte only one who ever has problems.

It would be nice to have a plamer stab but I can't shell out 85-95$ for one.

I have an expansion chamber but it leaks, and like I said, is hard to degass with.

It just peevs me to see people with lower grade markers beign able to shoot faster and more reliably that me, even thought I spent 60-100$ more for my marker.

Vegeta
09-30-2002, 08:02 PM
Oh and don't try to educate me on what I need for my marker; I know what I need. I just can't afford them and be able to play.

dropkick1
09-30-2002, 08:09 PM
what about getting an impulse or shocker? shockers have come down in price and work well on anti-siphoned CO2, or just get anti-siphoned CO2 for your mag, that should help a lot and geta smart parts on/off valve on the CO2 tank.

ken

Tunaman
09-30-2002, 08:16 PM
You dont have to be able to afford it....one hand washes the other. Send me the gun and it will be CO2 ready when you get it back. This ones on me Veg!:D :D :D

FreshmanBob
09-30-2002, 08:18 PM
Tunaman, your the man

Elwood
09-30-2002, 10:25 PM
I had the same problem at a small local tourney. My gun would freeze up off the break! My friends were shooting tippmanns with no problem. I finally decided to fix the problem. I bought a palmers sideline stab. It works perfect. In my opinion, the only way to run a mag off CO2.

xmetal2001
09-30-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by FrAuStY

Just out of curiosity, why did you only post a response, that would lead him to buy equipment other than agd? ... I mean as said before.. this is AUTOMAGS.ORG right.. not E-99Spyder.org or whatever...

Because we are not here to sell mags, we are here to help people out and talk about paintball. Mags are great, but i'm not going to try and stop him from buying a E99.

Kaiser Bob
09-30-2002, 11:08 PM
Just a small question, if you can't afford a 90 dollar stab for your gun, how would you afford buying a 125 dollar E-99 without selling your mag?

Dayspring
09-30-2002, 11:26 PM
Tell me you're kidding. We are here to spread the good word of mags to others. You can't honestly think these forums are up just to provide us a place to chat do you? We're a marketing tool for AGD. (And a pretty good one at that). I believe it was either Shartley or CPhilip that posted it-

I'm sick of seeing people told to buy this gun or that gun (other than a 'Mag). It's disrespectful to AGD. You want to plug another marker, go somewhere else.

Originally posted by xmetal2001

Because we are not here to sell mags, we are here to help people out and talk about paintball. Mags are great, but i'm not going to try and stop him from buying a E99.

Jack Napier
09-30-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by HoppysMag

Where in there did i say it only works on HPA? all im saying is if he wants the best performance he has to put in the best stuff. and if i was you i would read AND comprehend what it is others said before you talk and start calling people ignorant.

EDIT: i edited my first post to make it easy to understand

You better edit your post. My mag preformed good enough on Co2. With your logic on Co2, your bs statement, "the gun doesn't make the player" goes down the toliet.

AGD
10-01-2002, 12:48 AM
Don't spend any money to make the mag work on co2. If your really broke sell it and buy the spider. The thing that makes the most sense is to get a screw in HPA for around 150 and keep it. You will use the HPA with every gun you ever own but the spider you will sell before the year is out for less than you pay for it.

AGD

raehl
10-01-2002, 12:57 AM
HPA is so cheap nowadays that it is definitely the best solution - assuming you can get HPA fills, which this guy apparently can't.

I ran my old Mag Classic on CO2 on a remote for ages without any trouble, even in cold weather. Remotes are the best expansion chambers ever, huge amounts of surface area relative to volume. If you're in the habit of using the tank as a stock, just pick up a stock.

If you don't have an anti-siphon tank now, it shouldn't be a surprise that the gun isn't working - are you sure your friend's spyder wasn't performing better just because he had an anti-syphon and you didn't?

Note: You don't need anti-syphon with a remote. You DEFINTIELY need one without it - and even then, be sure to only hold your gun upright and screw it in to align the arrow correctly. Remember hat the anti-syphon tank puts the "in" point at about the middle of the top side of hte tank - so you want to keep that point "up" whenever possible.

But yeah, don't assume it was the spyder unless you're sure that other things are constant.

- Chris

raehl
10-01-2002, 11:58 AM
Tom's had great advice, but for the wrong question. You're not answering the question that was asked.

This guy's field doesn't do N2 fills. Even if the local welding or scuba shop does, he's not going to get through a day of play on one tank fill, especially not the 3K 68 screwin he's going to get for sub-$100. What's he going to do, drive back to the scuba shop after every two games to get his tank filled back up?

It would be stupid for this guy to buy a N2 tank he can't get filled at his field.

He needs an anti-syphon tank or a remote/expansion chamber. Just because N2 is the right answer for you doesn't make it the right answer for everyone else.

- Chris

HoppysMag
10-01-2002, 02:12 PM
You better edit your post. My mag preformed good enough on Co2. With your logic on Co2, your bs statement, "the gun doesn't make the player" goes down the toliet. uh in case you cant read ( wich is what i suspect at the moment) i did edit my post befor you even read it. second how does the fact that your mag worked on co2 affect the fact that the gun doesnt loose games? you make no sense at all. READ and COMPREHEND other peoples post before you talk.

*ArKfEaR*
10-01-2002, 02:13 PM
Tom that would be possible but he doesnt have a close area in which he can get nitro fills. Me personally finds this odd, if your "tourney" team goes to tourneys most feilds should support them. Not saying that your lieing or what not, you could just play more back-yard ball than on rec fields. But if you cant support the money for making your gun run on C02 then as Tom said dont try. Its not worth it, mags need to be setup properly to be ran on C02 other wise they just shoot like poo-pee.

So if i were you i would sell the mag and look into a nice imp, upgraded or not (your the one spending money) make sure to go for a newer one. And run C02 on it, or eather a shocker, but i would make sure if you were to go for a shocker you were there to see it/shoot it. Cause ones going online are rather phishy, eclipse makes a mean shocker, and the new shockers arent that bad at all. Just boxey :)

and PS: HEHEHE ;)

Originally posted by AGD
Don't spend any money to make the mag work on co2. If your really broke sell it and buy the spider
AGD

Hehehe :)

shartley
10-01-2002, 02:22 PM
The problem is actually solved… did anyone actually catch that Tunaman is going to hook him up?

*ArKfEaR*
10-01-2002, 02:26 PM
Yah i just noticed, what is he gonna hook him up with though? Stab? Max Flow? Nitro tank?

shartley
10-01-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Tunaman
You dont have to be able to afford it....one hand washes the other. Send me the gun and it will be CO2 ready when you get it back. This ones on me Veg!:D :D :D
Sure as heck isn’t going to be a nitro tank if he is making it CO2 Ready. ;) I don’t know what he will set him up with, but I had to guess, it would guess along the lines of an Expansion Chamber and AntiSiphon.

Jack Napier
10-01-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by HoppysMag
uh in case you cant read ( wich is what i suspect at the moment) i did edit my post befor you even read it. second how does the fact that your mag worked on co2 affect the fact that the gun doesnt loose games? you make no sense at all. READ and COMPREHEND other peoples post before you talk.

Good job editing little guy. Now I understand you.

HoppysMag
10-01-2002, 03:35 PM
i edited it a while ago... i will admit i might not have been as clear as i thought it was. when you know what your trying to say it all makes sense.:D

Vegeta
10-01-2002, 09:48 PM
OK guys clam down.

Someone said to get HPA at a welding shop or scuba place. I could prolly find somewhere to do that.. but what happened when I run out of air AT the field? The field does not have HPA fills... so i'm screwed.

Sam- Tuna won't even tell me what he is putting on the thing.

Tom- you overlooked my troubles with getting N2 fills. I would gladly fork out $150 for a N2 tank if the field filled them, period.

I like my mag fine. It is not hte mag's fault that I am having problems, it's just how it is setup.

And someone said something along the lines of 'if you can buy a 125$ e-99 why can't you spend 90$ of a stab instead"...

What I am saying is htat I do not like hte idea of spending 90 bucks on a stab when I could buy a whole gun for only 40$ more.

But nevertheless, the problem will be solved. Tuna is going to fix me up, the kind man he is. Until then I am going to be running vert-tank to try to cut down on shootdown. Might not look stylish but o-well.