PDA

View Full Version : low pressure/high pressure

soccer61887
10-01-2002, 05:28 PM
I just used my new automag with a 68ci. 3000psi. tank from PMI. I was only able to get about 600 shots off of it. What could be wrong? Am I suppost to get only this much, is it due to the fact that the gun runs at a high pressure or what? If it does run at high pressure how can I make low pressure so I can get more shots?

virus
10-01-2002, 07:07 PM
yup... thats about right for that size tank.....

rule of thumb to get an approximate shot total off a tank is to use this..... ci of tank X 10 (for a 3000psi tank.... 15 for a 4500psi tank)...... this will give you the approx shots of the tank before taking into account your paint to barrel match and the fps you are shooting at.....

so your tank 68ci 3000psi tank should get about 680 shots... 68X10 = 680

an 88ci/3000psi tank would get about 880
a 114/3000 about 1140

so you are right on par as far as i can see... the only way to better it would be to get a barrel to better match the paint you are shooting oe lower the fps you are shooting at.....

also the back half of a mag valve is a built in regulator.... and takes the pressure from your tank (should be about 850psi) and brings it down to the 350-450psi range depending on your fps setting and paint to barrel match

than205
10-01-2002, 08:47 PM
Actually, on my RTP I get about 1100 with a 88/3000.
I originally wasn't getting the shot count I liked, as it turned out it was that I wasn't getting complete fills. That would be my first suggestion. If you are filling off your scuba you are never going to get a complete fill. (unless you are one of the first two fills)
If you are getting field fills ask them to slow down on how fast they fill your tank. You will notice that the tank will be warm after a fill. And when it cools the pressure will have dropped. You aren't likely to be able to keep the tank completely cool, but with a slower fill the pressure drop should be less. Also if they do a slow fill it's easier on your tank and tank reg.

As virus said a good paint/barrel match will improve things. (he's so smart);)

Also, check your reg seat. That's seems to be a common suggestion for people. Do a search here if you need more info on that.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

Almost forgot. Recent research suggests that low pressure while easier on paint actually uses more air.