PDA

View Full Version : reffing first tournament

giblit
10-01-2002, 07:33 PM
im reffing my first tournament on sunday and its not my first time reffing its just my first time reffing a tournament and im just lookin for all the tips i can get about like dealing with the players crap and complants ect..

xmetal2001
10-01-2002, 10:22 PM
Unless you are wrong, stick by your calls. Some players will try to talk you out of anything, and complain just for the heck of it.

gatorchris
10-01-2002, 10:50 PM
Know the rules, inside and out. Reffing tourneys are different than reffing at your local field. There are lots of little rules that will bite you in the butt if you dont know what youre doing. If those situations come up and you dont know the rule stronger players will play you like a cheap guitar all day, because your credibilty is shot. Stick by your calls and other refs calls unless its blatantly wrong. Bad judgement is one thing, obviously wrong is another. Be courtieous to all players of all ranks, and give them all the attention they deserve while reffing. Dont take time off on the field, be in the right place for the call, dont be afraid to take shots to dive into a bunker with a guy to check him. If you can get through all of that, try to have fun :p

cphilip
10-02-2002, 07:28 AM
Totaly agree with gator! Know the rules.

Above all, strive to let the game be decided by the players on the field. Be aware of the men you are covering and the relationship to the oposition so you can position yourself to make the call without getting in the way. look down field and across field as your opposite ref cannot see anything happening on that side of his players. Stay out of the way of the play even if you have to drop on the ground prone. the most common complaint from players of refs is getting in the way and over reffing the game.

Don't argue with em. Tell em repeatedly what you want them to do no matter what they say. The Ultimate will access pentalties if they argue. He will see it going on and come too you. Discuss calls amongst yourself and let him argue with them. If you are Ultimate then make sure your refs do know that is the plan. Don't be afraid to make a mistake. It happens. But if you know the rules it will not be as likely. As for a set of them and ask for a list of any deviations.

Make up a signal that all of you know that will indicate a pentalty is being assesed and do not tell any player at that point. Eliminate him and move on. Discuss it after game over with the Ultimate as to what it was. They will remember you signaled and will ask you about it. 9 times outa 10 these things are clean with very few real problems.

You should go look at this thread too:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51645

giblit
10-02-2002, 06:26 PM
thx wish me luck this weekend

Troy
10-02-2002, 08:35 PM
Watch the players not the game. Have the field divided into zones and you just watch the players in your zone. You are out there to ref not watch paintball games.

Be strict and decisive. Don't be scared to pull penaltys. The stricter you are early on the less crap you will have to put up with the rest of the day.

Good luck

Snewk
10-02-2002, 09:04 PM
I read somewhere in Crossfire Magazine where they have the "Ref's Corner", and the writer writing it said "hate all players once you step on the field." He didn't mean being a total jerk to everyone, he just meant that in a way to stand by your calls, don't be afraid to penalize people and become timid if someone gets in your face. You are there to referee the game and do it.

Have fun refereeing and don't be afraid to get hit. Get in there and do your job! I'm sure you'll do good and have a great time.

giblit
10-03-2002, 12:10 AM
is their a palce where i can read up on the pan am rules?

paintslinger
10-03-2002, 01:35 AM
http://www.panamcircuit.com/rules.htm have fun :)

Ityl
10-03-2002, 04:33 PM
Be very strict during the early stages of the game to help set the tone. Then during the finals or semi's give some slack on the questionable calls, don't make the refs decide the game. Setting the reffing tone early is key.