PDA

View Full Version : OK car guys, check out THESE numbers!

krafty
10-02-2002, 11:37 AM
1973 MGB/GT (1800 cc engine)
pre-smog cam
polished (not ported) head
twin 1 1/2" SU carbs w/ K&N filters and K&N Stub Stacks
Pertronix Ignitor electronic ignition
Ansa exhaust

Now, don't laugh..... :p

krafty
10-02-2002, 11:40 AM
Believe it or not, this is high for this kind of car. 50's to 60 is about average peak HP for an MGB engine. It's getting a port job sometime this winter, which should (according to dyno data) give us between 10 and 15 additional HP. The real bottleneck in this engine setup right now IS the head... just stops flowing about 3500 rpm.

The different runs were testing different timing, different air cleaners, and different stacks/horns.

OK, you can laugh. But I will say I've had more fun in this car than just about anything else. So there! :D

kutter
10-02-2002, 04:14 PM
Krafty I would never laugh. Back years ago I had a '72 Midget, I loved that thing. If the electrical system had not been such a nightmare I would have kept it, but in a fit of rage one day I decided to sell it.

My stock carbs were shot when I got it and I did not want to mess with rebuilding them so I went with sidedraft Webers instead. It made a huge difference. The carbs combined with an after market ignition and exhaust made the car very fun to drive. In the rain with so little weight, it got down right twitchy.

So don't let anyone get to ya, they are neat little cars, just don't have it for a daily driver :eek:

Mango
10-03-2002, 01:26 PM
krafty: fantastic car!!! Some day I want to get one and restore it. I love MGB's, especially your year and model. There is a large MGB following in my area too, so I get to see lots of them at car shows.

How bout some pics of the car? :)

P.S. I would never laugh at it either.

Gotenks
10-03-2002, 07:17 PM
hey my old civic with a 1.5 litre engine made 30 horsepower to the wheels