PDA

View Full Version : Playing First Tourney got some Q's

FutureMagOwner
10-05-2002, 10:51 AM
well playing at the new airball field in the last tourney of the season at warzone and got some questions.

i know what type of game you play but i have some rule based questions

1. how does the start off go(like countdown i hear they try to screw you up off the break)
2. what are some good tips for airball(im practicing on it tomorrow for the first time so maybe you could tell me differences from a hyper ball field)
3. any rules they particullarly hound you on while playing(besides wiping because i dont cheat :))

and what i can expect in general of it

um ill think of more later

also we need a name i was thinking of something like crimson tide? or something like that :D

OldSchoolMag
10-05-2002, 11:25 AM
1. Typically, the countdown goes "10 seconds till game on!" then they usually don't count the full ten seconds, only the last 3 by saying "3, 2, 1 - Go, go, go!" and when the paint starts flying, trust me, you'll know the game's begun:) Also, don't know where you've heard that bit about trying to screw you up, but that won't happen at a respected event or any event that's not done by a bunch of guys who know absolutely nothing about reffing or running a tournament. Most places do things very fairly.

2. I like Airball, because that means the fields are much shorter and therefor the games are of a quicker pace. One thing I love about the airball bunkers is that they're not stationary - you can move them. This especially comes in handy when you're a front player, because what you can do is literally push the bunker out of your way by having your gun on the outside and pulling it towards the center of the bunker. The rest of the bunker will adjust by moving around it (so to speak, not drastically) and try to have your hopper and tank positioned behind the bunker. This way, you provide less of a target to your foes. Also, airball generally has bunkers that are mass produced and only several designs, so that way you can name them and they will be easily associable to your team. Try "Beer" for an upright cylinder and "wingnut" for that little thing that looks like a wingnut. You could also use "Pikachu" or "Pika" as I hear a lot of the younger teams say for the wingnut. Some others are "Dorito" for a large triangle, "Snake" for that long tubey thing that looks like a snake, etc. If you don't want to use these, or there are some that I haven't covered, when you get out to the field EARLY (so you can walk the field, set up, etc) go name the bunkers.

Try to keep the names short, and easily understood - you don't want to call something that looks like a carrot "that long pointy thing thats laying on the ground" when "carrot" would suffice. Also, be sure to call out locations when there's more than one. Often, there'll be only one lay down "X" in the center of the field, but many "wingnuts" and "beers". Try "back-left pika" or any other option. Also, when naming your bunkers, it helps if you just say the first thing that comes to your head - it's probably the first thing to your team mates, too.

3. Stay in bounds, be careful for the little nitpicky things that your tourny may have changed from a set of rules somewhere else (like NPPL rules, for example). Usually there's a sort of bunkering rule for rookie tournys, where instead of bunkering, you just slam your palm on their bunker which "signifies a bunker", therefor keeping them welt free. Check with your tourny coordinator to be sure of all of these, and ask "is there anything we should know" or "what do most teams usually screw up doing?"

Be sure to be kind and have good sportsmanship - when you're shot out, say "Nice shot player" as you walk off the field, and always (ALWAYS) congratulate the other team on a great game played. Help out the tourny judges whenever you can - clean up trash, organize something, stack some paint - it builds a nice reputation for your team.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

OSM

FutureMagOwner
10-05-2002, 12:10 PM
well i heard from the last tourney i was at(didnt play in it i was there for rec) that the refs were going "3 2 1" and then the 10 second count down to mess people up to take off points or something. the field guy fired the one ref in particular was being a jerk to everyone though.

the ohter thing is the games seem to be unbalenced because they had like 15 teams and 2 teams had something like 150 points by the end of the day and the rest had like 14.

o well i hope i dont get owned to bad;)

thanks for the help and you like the team name i thought of?

OldSchoolMag
10-05-2002, 12:15 PM
Well, the three seconds to ten seconds count down actually happens, and if you watch some of the Force of Nature videos, it's on there too. That's normal, it's just to give guys a larger amount of time to prepare.

Also, I think your team name is cool:)

Good luck!

OSM

EsPo
10-05-2002, 12:27 PM
they guys at my field say "mark" , they blow the whistle at random times in between mark and 10 seconds.. people in the crowd always yell stuff, and you get thrown off and try to start going, which results in a penalty.

Pile & A Half
10-05-2002, 12:30 PM
I would just say watch the Tape line. My friend told me when they played in a tourny down in Kansas they pushed the tape line out farther so they could get more room to run it. Its cheating but I guess the Refs didn't know about it. But just watch the tape line.

10-05-2002, 07:58 PM
Yes watch the tapeline. At the IAO they had it on the ground and I stepped out once and made a 1 for 0 bunker move into a 1 for 1. Then it happened to may teammate. GET A TIMER there your friend. If you see a paintball bounce off the opposite team yell I hit you or something like that. If it was a bounce they may just call themselves out. Don't curse at the other team or in strings. Also never call yourself out on a bunker move where it was close (example: you make it around the bunker shoot him and he hits you.) just keep running to the next bunker. The ref probably saw it and he will sort it out. Also organize before you go on the field,know which bunkers you are going to before the ref yells 10 seconds. Dont trash talk it makes you look like an anus.:eek: Hope some of these helped. Chrono at 285 or lower to prevent spikes from costing you points. Also if you have level 10 and spend the extra $10 and buy Hellfire that stuff breaks on the airball bunkers.

C-O-M-M-U-N-I-C-A-T-E:) I hope some of these help

*edit* also if u have a 14"-16" barrel I would use it to push the bunkers out of the way.

Shockerboy18
10-05-2002, 09:10 PM
they do a ten second silent count so nobody tries to jump the gun and a head start

FutureMagOwner
10-06-2002, 07:21 AM
well im most likeley gunna be using my cocker and not my mag due to the fact that my brother is gunna be playing rec and im gunna play with him when i can. and the fact my cocker is much more reliable and easier for me to use... untill i propoerly setup my level 10 that is :)

demonguy8
10-06-2002, 05:53 PM
Alright having had my first tournament last weekend I can say that win or lose... the most important thing is to HAVE FUN.

some tips..

-stay inbounds (pretty easy)

-Communication is !THE KEY! !TALK OFTEN!
know/ communicate where the opposing team is
know/ communicate how many people are left on BOTH teams
.../ .... how much time is left

-NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ARGUE WITH a REFS CALL or show disrespect to a ref.

-BE aggressive! you are rewarded for being aggressive (in points by the pull/hang) and usually better bunkers (the bunkers on the fifty tend to be KEY bunkers

-dont be intimidated by the "good teams" nor should you EVER underestimate the "bad teams"

-Focus on the game at hand.

- dont be afraid to bunker someone

Troy
10-06-2002, 07:44 PM
1. They don't try to screw you up on the start. The 10 sec. is so everyone is ready and to set timers.

2. Use a long barrel to push the bunker in when you shoot.

3. Don't talk after your out.

Have fun.

FutureMagOwner
10-06-2002, 08:38 PM
heh im definantly not afraid to bunker but im playing back it seems. my team made me captain for some reason. at the moment we only have me and someone else(my friend) who is definantly playing it(we payed already for it) and this other guy is gunna play with us that is real cool and good(been playing since i was like 2 years old). and we played a couple games at the hyperball field(the airball hasnt arrived yet but will be setup saturday for the tourney sunday). the field owner said this one team was probably gunna win the tourney and we played them and beat them pretty bad but we lost the next game but won the next 2.

of course on the way home we stop at the grocery store they lock me in the car while they shop so i goto sit in the front practically dislocate my hip trying to get in there and then proceed to almost die from heat exhaustion(literraly it was real bad the windows fog overed and i was gettin a headache and the doors wouldnt freakin unlock because the stupid car alarm)

anyway am i the only one that seems impossible to shoot guys out beyond bunkering or when they stick themselves way out?