PDA

View Full Version : I need a challange, a new project gun?

hostage
10-07-2002, 12:14 AM
I think I have come to the conclusion, that I like playing with the guns more than I like playing paintball. I have had a mag for ~8 years and I have upgraded and switched many things on it. All the parts have been upgraded, valve, lvl 10, body, rail, etc. I think it has come to the point where I have no challange at getting a mag to work well. At the end of summer I fixed more than 5 mags that weren't mine and got them shooting amazingly. Maybe AGD makes their parts to well :-) Also, thanx to many AOers for posting all the informational carp (yes the fish), which helped me learn how to fix my guns and many others. With yalls help, I have turned many peeps into diehard mag lovers.

Okay, from all I have seen and heard, cockers seem to be the hardest guns to tame. With all the moving parts, the many parts, the timeing, etc. Well I have never owned a cocker and I want to do it the hard way, buy parts and try to make a good shooting cocker. Well could any of yall recommend good parts to get, ie pnumatics, bolts, rams, regulators, a body and other stuff. I even want to nickle plate it myself. I hear ANS makes some good parts, from friends and usually places ie pbreview have a lot of missguiding posters.

Well thanx fellow AOers
-Hostage

joeyjoe367
10-07-2002, 01:41 AM
I don't personally own one... well, actually I did for about a week, but I ended up getting rid of the thing so fast, you could hardly say i "owned" one

...anyway, i've been told that an autococker is THE gun to have if you want to puetz around/customize/break it.

Heck, I'd like one, and I can't stand to shoot one of those darn things :)

An autococker is a good choice... You might not like the weight of your wallet afterwards tho.

TRIAD
10-07-2002, 05:15 AM
If you really want a challenge, get a 'cocker. Take the darned thing apart, and see if you can get it back together and keep it working. Personally, for a project gun, a nice 'mag would suffice. Get it custom powdercoated. I mean, the project doesn't NEED to be complicated, right? If it ABSOLUTELY has to be complicated, I guess the 'cocker is the way to go. Even those aren't that complicated unless you mess with them, and then believe me, they will be. So, it's your choice, but for me a nice 'mag would be a sweet project.

potti
10-07-2002, 05:39 AM
ya, a cocker would be a cool thing to tinker around with. another good idea for a tinkering gun is to make a pump mag. try to mod a vert veed body for a stock class feed. get the pump kit mod the rail, ect,...

Timmee
10-07-2002, 07:15 AM
I built an Autococker from parts. I almost called it "the eBay Autococker". You can guess where I got most of my parts. I still haven't used it much (kinda nervous that it'll be way off on timing), but I think I'm gonna use it tommorow (Tuesday). That is, unless the RT I bought comes in, in which case I'll be using that.

Thordic
10-07-2002, 08:03 AM
A project cocker will probably run you $500 to $1000 in the long run.

My project cocker will run me around $800 when I decide to start it, I already have it all planned out :)

LittMag
10-07-2002, 08:09 AM
screw 1000 bucks, go to kmart buy two stingrays and build yourself the poor mans nasty typhoon!

hostage
10-07-2002, 08:42 AM
Well, mags are deffenently out of the question, someone offered me one yesterday, I told them 3 was enough :-). Plus I don't have the equipment to convert a mag to a vert, though back home in Texas a friend owns a wielding shop. So I might do that when I get home. Don't want to powdercoat, cause I might be getting a nickleplaing kit or an anodizing kit. Well if anyone knows cockers well, then let me know what parts are good.
Thanx again bros,
Hostage

cphilip
10-07-2002, 09:00 AM
Ok here is is...the ultimate challenge project...convert a Talon to an Emag...Good luck! :D

CobraC
10-07-2002, 09:00 AM
I don't own a cocker, but I have shot one so that makes me an expert. No really, a lot of the cockers at my field, the first thing they do is put a dye swing frame on them, I have shot stock, and the swing frames, and it is one huge difference. They also use the dye three way, shockteck bolt, and a lot of other shocktech parts. Hope this helps any, good luck with the cocker!

riceetr69
10-07-2002, 09:02 AM
you might want to try out the website for ravi chopora:

Paintballravi.com

hostage
10-07-2002, 10:03 AM
cphillip-didn't work :-(

ric-thanx nice sight, very interesting, I found I can build one for the same price that I can buy a FreeFlow. mb I can see if I can buy parts from Pro pb, they are down the street from me.
-Hostage

56kSomeGuy
10-07-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by hostage
Don't want to powdercoat, cause I might be getting a nickleplaing kit or an anodizing kit. Hostage

Where can you get an nickleplating kit or an anodizing kit? I really want one!

hostage
10-07-2002, 02:18 PM
56someguy-www.caswellplating.com
-Hostage

KamikazePenguin
10-07-2002, 02:31 PM
i'd have to disagree with pretty much everyone here and say that a cocker is hardly a "tinkering gun".

A cocker is a spyder, with a ram. You don't do any real work, except for buying a new part to replace an old one and installing it. Timing, that is a two step process, and quite easy.

If you want a real project gun where you can utilize a dremel, or do some sanding or make some actual parts yourself, i'd definitely suggest a Tippmann Model 98 or a Rainmaker (can be had new for about $170 now).

56kSomeGuy
10-07-2002, 02:33 PM
Thanks hostage for the site. I know what i'm going to do with my gun now chrom or gold plate it yay and the price seems just right.

paint magnet
10-07-2002, 02:45 PM
Cockers are awesome. They are very reliable once you get everything set right, and that doesn't take long or require much effort/time/skill if you know what you're doing.

Most people who get cockers initially HATE them so badly after a month or so that they want to sell them. This is because they are breaking balls like a blender, because they aren't used to the trigger yet. The same was true with my cocker (see, I still haven't changed my sig) but now I love it and feel like it's the perfect gun for me. A good site to visit is www.air-powered.com

yeahthatsme
10-07-2002, 03:32 PM
one of the big paintball magazines( it was either paintball sports, 2xtremes, or apg) had a 2 issure article about cusomizing a cocker. that would be a good refrence for parts.

good luck. and if you get tired of your cocker i'll take it off your hands!!!

hostage
10-07-2002, 04:16 PM
heh...cool guys! I am going to have to sell a few of my mags, I just got another mag :-(. I love them they are great guns, but after a while having 4 of the same guns can lead to mental issues. My main gun shall always be a mag! Though I don't need 3 backups. I traded a booyaah frame for a mag, good price for me and him, cause I gave him valuable info to getting a great mag for cheap! Also if anyone knows any good places to get non-hiked cocker parts, that would help too.
-Hostage

TastePAINt88
10-07-2002, 05:13 PM
Well, for parts, I would suggest this:
Shocketch 4-way (OR COMMONLY KNOWN AS 3WAY)
Palmers Quickram
Palmers Microrock reg
freak barrel (barrel is your preference)
AKA lightning valve,
AKA Tornado valve
ans quick fire system (for a slider trigger or....)
Eclipse hinge trigger

LawFox32
10-07-2002, 05:50 PM
ummm I have a challenge for you, learn to spell,
haha jk

hostage
10-07-2002, 05:56 PM
I would, but I am dyslexic.
-Hostage

dialp4petri
10-07-2002, 05:59 PM
im kinda like a cocker guy and would like to say
GET A FIREBALL MOUNTAIN BODY
no on seems to know about them and you have to see this
http://www.fireballmountain.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FM&Category_Code=gothic
also i would recomend a ans quick pull bolt
eclipse blade trigger frame is an absolute must
dye 3 way
ans jackhammer II reg
ans x-2 inline
ans mini ram
kapp dz 2
halo b
10" freak kit
kapp razorback back block
aka lightning valve
kapp twisted cocking rod

but you would just be building my cocker and it wouldnt be your project. i would just say have fun with it

LawFox32
10-07-2002, 06:00 PM
damn, I feel bad now

Koosh
10-07-2002, 06:59 PM
Cockers are great fun to build and maintain... You can custom order every single part, which makes it great. My suggestions:

AKA Body (merlin, or VLM)
Good barrel, Dye, Smart Parts, or whatever works well for you... everyon has their own opinions.
palmer Micro-Rock regulater- The Industry standard
Palmer Quick Ram or the Pro Paintball Ram, Palmers ram is guaranteed for over 1 million cycles... if you reach that, you fire too much

Race Kit, to make it electronic... if you don't want the $500 kit, I would go with a hinge frame, I like the WGP ones, but everyone else goes for the Eclipse.
If no Race- WGP CT 3-way. I had a Race frame on my old cocker, and it worked WONDERFULLY! If you have the means, I would definately to that.

For valving, I would go for either the Pro Paintball valve, or AKA Tornado Valve. Pro's is cheaper, and stresses very high effeciency, while AKA's claim to fame is effeciency in really low operating pressure.

Pro PB tungston hammer
Some kind of bolt... just stay away from the ANS ones, and you'll be fine... they all mostly work the same.

Anywhoo... if you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with me. I am by no means a cocker EXPERT, but I have built one before, and might be able to help you out...

-Josh

FooTemps
10-07-2002, 07:24 PM
um... make a franken cocker! Steal some parts out of random OTHER (as in non-cocker) guns and try to customize them together to work with a cocker... That would be awesome.

FutureMagOwner
10-07-2002, 07:36 PM
try to make a mag pump kit that autococks! :0

or you could try making a talon so that it autococks that woulc be cool :)

Ov3rmind
10-07-2002, 07:43 PM
Cockers are great if you know what you're doing with 'em:D .

Here's my suggestions for parts (a lot of thie is preferance, BTW):

Body: AKA Merlin VLM
Frame Sliding: Belsales Angry Frame, Freeflow Frame
Hinge: Eclipse
Low Pressure Reg: Palmer's Micro Rock
Ram: Palmer's Quick Ram
3-Way: Hollow Point
In Line Reg: Sidewinder
Hammer: Freeflow Tungsten Carbide Hammer
Valve: Freeflow Valve
Bolt: Delrin AKALMP Lightning Bolt
Beavertail: Whatever looks good to you!
Cocking Rod: Shocktech
Timing/Pump Rods: Anything will work, but SS rods work best

Always make sure you have backup o-rings, screws, and springs! A valve tool, oil, and loc tite are also VERY useful. If you plan on replacing the vertical adpater, you'll need a special tool to remove the screw. You can buy one of these from Professional Paintball. Allen wrenches and screw drivers are also handy, some rags and a tooth pick can also be useful for cleaning.

Go to
Ravi's Cocker Tech Page (http://www.paintballravi.com/Articles/AutocockerInfosheet/Autococker_Infosheet.html) to learn about timing and trouble shooting. Once you learn the Cocker, they aren't to tough to handle. Once you master the Cocker, they can rock just about anything.

EnderWigginPballin
10-07-2002, 07:45 PM
I was going to get a Cocker and customize it.... but I changed my mind and I'm going to trick out a sniper 2...

Koosh
10-07-2002, 07:50 PM
Oh, I forgot...

I would also reccomend the Sidewinder, or Macdev Gladiator regs. The Palmer Stabilizer is also good, but for my money I would go with the Gladiator... it works just as well or better then the others, and it is cheaper too..

Go to www.compulsivepaintball.com to get all the cocker parts you need. They have EVERY part needed, and pretty good prices too.

They have a product called the WGP Players parts kit, has a whole bunch of MISC items, like springs and screws and other things a person building a cocker could need...

big E kingpin
10-07-2002, 08:06 PM
cockers really are not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. as far as moving parts, there arnt that many. there is a video called paintball trix or something like that, it is the most boringest thing i have subbjected myself too, but it is very informative.

there are 2 upgrades i can say right away, bomb 3 way super short trigger pull, and a dye hinge trigger, i just like the shape of the trigger, it reminds me of my z-grip kinda.

TastePAINt88
10-07-2002, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't mind building a parts cocker, taking old peoples stock 2002 rams and stuff, and just SLOWLY colecting used parts that people dont want, then build a cocker from that, but I dunno, Im saving for a mag, I need 60 more dollars until I can get a TKO powerfeed mag, then If I try and build a parts cocker, hell, my parents would be like "so 2 more guns, twice the headaches, what were you thinking!?!" and plus they wouldnt want people online shipping me free parts, theyd think Im so weird. PLUS when I would be missing like small parts that I cant find used, theyd be mad at me for buyign too much stuff.