PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the Ladies of AO

davej946
10-07-2002, 07:58 AM
Hey Ladies,

After sharing stories with my girlfriend, she told me she wants to try playing paintball... So upon further discussion of the topic, I decide she needs to wear 'protective' gear, if you get what I'm saying. ;)

Now, when I play speedball, I wear a cup. No questions asked. If I may ask, without intruding, what do you ladies wear to protect yourselves? My gilfriend would like to know before she steps out onto the field.

Thanks ~ Dave

PS - I suggested she wear one of those padded bras under a sports bra... but what would I know about it? :D

FatMan
10-07-2002, 09:53 AM
a friend of mine is a no-fooling professional seamstress- runs a business out of her home, has all the equipment and lots of experience.

we've toyed with the idea of mking protective gear for women - but we're not sure if there is really any
interest in it - like a neoprene padded sports bra, and padded undershorts - things like that.

if any of you laides thing you would be interested in that kind of thing? post and let me know -- we haven't designed anything, so ideas are welcome too!

FatMan

Paintchucker
10-07-2002, 10:13 AM
You can find a chest protector for between $40 and $50 at most of the big sites. My now ex-wife found out the hard way that the first piece of gear you need after a mask is good knee protection!!!

FrAuStY
10-07-2002, 11:30 AM
I know you wanted reponses from the ladies..but I'll speak for my girlfriend who plays paintball with me occasionally. All she wore was a short-sleeved shirt and some camo pants. She's not a softie if you know what I'm saying.. she doesn't mind a little pain and actually enjoys it!

Also.. you should be protecting your old lady..not letting her git `lit up! What are you thinking?! J/k, anyway I believe a chest protector and some knee pads would be sufficient. And of course a mask, other than that, a nice bunker would be great!

ShooterJM
10-07-2002, 11:49 AM
Once again, not a woman. However, most girls I play with don't use anything. They get used to it the same way we do. However, the more sensitive women I know wear dirt bike chest protectors.

hitech
10-07-2002, 11:55 AM
My wife wore a "cammi" jacket and put "stuff" in the front top pockets. Not elegant, but it worked okay. I would suggest something better. My wife's only complaint was that getting shot hurts.

Clare
10-07-2002, 01:03 PM
If I may ask, without intruding, what do you ladies wear to protect yourselves?

I only wear the dye forearm/elbow pads and knee pads (I'm going to start using the slider shorts though). You can find different chest protection for women here (http://members.aol.com/chajonshim/women.html).

Devil
10-07-2002, 01:11 PM
Well, from a female...
Most of the time, I just go in a long sleeve shirt and some camo pants (or old jeans) the thing is...it's gonna hurt, and she'll find out that if she really wants to play and she'll have to accept that...I've never gotten hit in the chest...usually my gun and arms are protecting it...but if she's worried about it, tell her to put on 2 shirts...maybe a bra, tanktop, then the long sleeve...it just supplies something to catch the blow so that there's not some "pretty" blue, black, grey and yellow marks all over her chest...the only thing I've been concerned with lately is with my neck...twice I've been caught in the neck and man does it hurt...recently I bought a $10 neck guard...it makes me play alittle more confidently...I don't have to worry about my neck so much...and while a shot to the neck looks like a serious hicky...it (by any means) does not feel like one...*ouch*
So, just tell her to put on some layers, and not to wear any skimpy little tight stuff...even if it looks good...it doesn't feel good...besides...what guy doesn't like the mystery of a slim girl wearing big camo pants and a cute long sleeve shirt...it keeps them thinking...instead of walking out on the field in a little bikini...save it for the beach girls...
It hurts getting shot...but you'll live...and it's fun showing off your "battle wounds" to the other sissy ladies...they get intimidated! lol :p

Clare
10-07-2002, 01:14 PM
and while a shot to the neck looks like a serious hicky...it (by any means) does not feel like one...*ouch*

yes, I forgot to mention that! Neck shots are not fun but I still won't wear a neck guard (makes me feel claustrophobic). I have a scar on the side of my neck to show for it. :p

davej946
10-07-2002, 01:19 PM
Capo and Devil,
That's EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks a bunch! When I do get her out on the field, I'll be sure to post TONS of pictures.

Thanks Again ~ Dave

JEDI
10-07-2002, 01:22 PM
How about Duct Tape and Bubble Wrap?... Sorry I'll leave now

Clare
10-07-2002, 05:07 PM
How about Duct Tape and Bubble Wrap?...

I tried that when I first started playing, not very comfortable.

:p ;) I kid

JEDI
10-08-2002, 07:47 AM
That's funny! POP!..POP POP!

Devil
10-08-2002, 08:45 AM
The first time I ever played, I wore about 5 long sleeve shirts and 3 or 4 pairs of pants...
and I still ran around screaming when they pointed their little pumps at me...I was a little sissy...but hey I was only around 12...or 13...

shartley
10-08-2002, 08:48 AM
None of my daughters (or Wife) wore anything more than a t-shirt and a sweatshirt over it (yeah, yeah, aside from standard undergarments.).

Wc Keep
10-08-2002, 01:27 PM
bubble wrap capo??? your such a kidder.

am glad to hear that im not the only one who hates the neck protector. it does serve a good purpose though especially when the ball bounces off your tank and nails you in the neck. (me nj ao day II)

again not coming from a female but someone who took a female to play, the best thing is a neoprene chest protector. if you look on ebay some people sell them direct from their stores for extremely cheap.

The Frymarker
10-08-2002, 03:13 PM
Hi Dave,

Actually I sell women's protective gear. They are sports bras with a shield in them. They have worked very well for myself. If she doesn't want the single shield, which cover the chest and sternum, I also have the sports bra that has two cups that can go in either side.

However I only have limited sizes.

You can email me her size and I'll see if I have it.

My email is diva7@att.net

Yes neck injuries happen alot, she needs protection there as well. Also a good set of knee and shin guards are great too.

Best of luck.

Heather

Tony Arrivo
10-08-2002, 08:27 PM
I strongly suggest a neck pad, I was tagged in the neck from like 5 feet away back when I was a n00b and wow did it hurt. We were at Badlandz so we were using multi-colored paint and I wiped my neck and I got a palm full of red paint. Then I went off the field wiped again and got yellow paint. About then I realized I was bleeding. Right in the middle of my adams apple was the biggest, nastiest welt I've ever had. Now I won't go on the field without one.

Capoeira you've gotta be the bravest chick in the world :D

MantisMag
10-08-2002, 10:29 PM
my friend wore a gazillion layers when she went paintballin. she had on a unitard, a long sleeve shirt, a turtle neck, and camo coveralls. she also had a few extra layers on her legs. i didn't get to see what they were. (she wouldn't let me watch. :p) obviously she can only go when it's cold out. :rolleyes: she's very fair skinned so she bruises easily. that's why she needs all that stuff. besides the fact that she dances and everybody'd get to see all her bruises. oh. hehe. and she had a sprained wrist that she bubble wrapped and put a bunch of ACE bandages around once.

JEDI
10-09-2002, 07:51 AM
Dave, these guys pretty much covered it all. Its all great advice. The one thing I would recomend though is to steer clear of the many multiple layer thing. Eventually thats just not gonna be convenient. There's obviously some particular areas you wanna protect, but get her used to taking a hit. I'm sure you know this, sooner or later you just get used to your average hit.